U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2015, 12:19 PM

213 posts, read 177,600 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

It's possible we may be relocating to Denton because of a job opportunity at the University there. We're trying to figure out if we want to live there or in one of the bigger cities in the region (like Dallas or Fort Worth). Obviously, we'll be visiting if it turns out this is likely going to happen but I was hoping to get some information from this forum.

I've lived in many places in the US throughout my life, including AZ, NC, CA, and WA - but have spent the most time in the San Francisco and Seattle areas. I realize Dallas is going to be very different than those places, but it would be cool to be somewhere with a decent art, music, and food scene. We also like the idea of living in a smaller place like Denton but having access to a bigger city.

How would you describe Denton's culture and the type of people who live there? Is it totally dominated by the University or does it have its own vibe separate from the University? Are there decent restaurants and bars? Any other thoughts or descriptions of Denton would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhenma View Post
Hi all,

It's possible we may be relocating to Denton because of a job opportunity at the University there. We're trying to figure out if we want to live there or in one of the bigger cities in the region (like Dallas or Fort Worth). Obviously, we'll be visiting if it turns out this is likely going to happen but I was hoping to get some information from this forum.

I've lived in many places in the US throughout my life, including AZ, NC, CA, and WA - but have spent the most time in the San Francisco and Seattle areas. I realize Dallas is going to be very different than those places, but it would be cool to be somewhere with a decent art, music, and food scene. We also like the idea of living in a smaller place like Denton but having access to a bigger city.

How would you describe Denton's culture and the type of people who live there? Is it totally dominated by the University or does it have its own vibe separate from the University? Are there decent restaurants and bars? Any other thoughts or descriptions of Denton would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Anyone?

Old 09-17-2015, 03:26 PM

216 posts, read 249,427 times
Lot of areas north are close to Denton and are great choice for you.

Many of these areas are cheaper than rest of metroplex due to the distance to main job centers in Dallas and Fort Worth.
Some examples are Keller/Argyle/Flower mound on I35W, Highland Village/Flower Mound/Little Elm on I35E.

Keller would be my #1 recommendation.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggierk View Post

Many of these areas are cheaper than rest of metroplex due to the distance to main job centers in Dallas and Fort Worth.
Some examples are Keller/Argyle/Flower mound on I35W, Highland Village/Flower Mound/Little Elm on I35E.

Thanks - I'll look into those places! What about Denton itself? How would you describe it? Do you think it's a good place to live?

Old 09-17-2015, 05:13 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,451,922 times
Denton is ok. I wouldn't say it's completely dominated by the universities there because Denton has essentially merged with the rest of the sprawling North Dallas suburbs. I didn't really enjoy my time living in Denton, but I didn't hate it either. I liked UNT, but the town is sort of meh. There's a few neat things around UNT and in Downtown Denton, but the rest of Denton lost it's small town charm a long time ago. I still like Denton's Downtown better than Downtown McKinney, but thats not really saying much. Outside of a few small pockets, Denton kind of feels like every other suburb in North Texas now.

It sounds like you're coming from urban west coast cities, and want to replicate that lifestyle here. It's not going to happen. Denton isn't really like those places. The college students in Denton will largely share similar beliefs to the residents of the cities you're coming from, but the majority of people in Denton won't mirror the UNT student body. It's not a crunchy place, it's not a liberal place, and it isn't very exciting or naturally beautiful. There are some good bars, and they have a music festival, and there are some artsy types living in town, but it's something you would have to seek out and make an effort to be a part of.

I also wouldn't recommend commuting to Denton from far away. The drive from almost all directions is terrible. My last semester there I lived in Far North Dallas, and sometimes it took forever to get there, like an hour sometimes.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 09-17-2015 at 05:38 PM..

Old 09-18-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Denton is ok. I wouldn't say it's completely dominated by the universities there because Denton has essentially merged with the rest of the sprawling North Dallas suburbs. I didn't really enjoy my time living in Denton, but I didn't hate it either. I liked UNT, but the town is sort of meh. There's a few neat things around UNT and in Downtown Denton, but the rest of Denton lost it's small town charm a long time ago. I still like Denton's Downtown better than Downtown McKinney, but thats not really saying much. Outside of a few small pockets, Denton kind of feels like every other suburb in North Texas now.

It sounds like you're coming from urban west coast cities, and want to replicate that lifestyle here. It's not going to happen. Denton isn't really like those places. The college students in Denton will largely share similar beliefs to the residents of the cities you're coming from, but the majority of people in Denton won't mirror the UNT student body. It's not a crunchy place, it's not a liberal place, and it isn't very exciting or naturally beautiful. There are some good bars, and they have a music festival, and there are some artsy types living in town, but it's something you would have to seek out and make an effort to be a part of.

I also wouldn't recommend commuting to Denton from far away. The drive from almost all directions is terrible. My last semester there I lived in Far North Dallas, and sometimes it took forever to get there, like an hour sometimes.
Thanks, this is really helpful. I suspect that some of the neighborhoods in Dallas might be closer to what we're looking for, but it sounds like the commute would be terrible. What about Downtown Fort Worth? It seems closer and I've heard has a lot going on.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:54 PM

216 posts, read 249,427 times
Keller would be midway between FW and Denton with all amenities.
It is family friendly affordable and at few years ago voted bets place to live in the whole country.

PS:
I do not work for Keller.
The only reason I am not living in Keller is because driving east on 114 is bad.
Driving north on I35W should be okay.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:58 AM

9,515 posts, read 19,543,777 times
I35 both E and W are currently undergoing major reconstruction projects that will last for 2+ years. 35 W is being redone from downtown to Western Center Blvd just north of 820. 35E is from the Bush Turnpike to Denton. You would be smart to avoid any commute that would require you to drive on these roads daily until the project is completed!

Old 02-24-2016, 03:03 PM

812 posts, read 630,089 times
I love Texas, but the closest thing to Seattle or San Fran in TX youre gonna find is Austin. Minus the weather and being right on a Bay or Sound, theyre practically the same......

Old 02-25-2016, 12:06 PM

216 posts, read 188,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggierk View Post

What is so crazy was that I went to the Keller/Alliance Center Area in Fort Worth this past Saturday and was very impressed with the growth there. I would move there in a heartbeat if I worked at UNT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or