U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 09:35 AM

216 posts, read 248,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by san11 View Post
I am in exact same situation like yours. I looked houses for 3-4 months this summer , then decided not to buy.
I was flexible with budget from 250 - 420 K.
Ended up renting again near office ( less than 1 mile to office). I pay 1550 per month for 2 bedroom apt. It takes me more time to park the car and reach office desk , than driving to office.

You can try BankofAmerica My Portfolio link , if you have account with them. or try mint.com
You can then link all your credit card and then see how much you are spending per month and come to know where money is going.
Thanks for sharing.
Looking is good to get a sense what X$ can get you in different neighborhoods.
But I guess it is important nt to get carried away and get attached emotionally to a nice home.

Thanks for the tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 09:35 PM

311 posts, read 339,606 times
I think you need a change in realtor. S/he is gunning for some commission from your purchase and that's just not right!

Old 09-20-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallahoohoo View Post
I think you need a change in realtor. S/he is gunning for some commission from your purchase and that's just not right!
Well it is their job - it is my responsibility to make sure he understands my budget and situation.

When he recommended some communities and houses I just thought he knows what a typical buyer in my situation will buy (no kids) so I went along.
He did show me smaller one stories but all around top of my budget (440k+).

His strategy is to invest in properties that will appreciate (buy first few homes) as community builds. Seems like a decent strategy but the starting point of home is in top end of my budget.

Now after much thought, I am not even sure I should buy when I am not even sure of the location.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:21 AM

27,497 posts, read 44,973,761 times
Too much uncertainty IMO on your part

Get a good MLS site
Set target areas for specific neighborhoods that are in good ISD and commute distance
Search all homes for sale in those areas that are around 325K... 3/2.5 homes
W/O any children yet I think you are biting off a lot to buy larger than that

Have you driven through any of the areas where you have looked at homes?
What about shopping, doctors, for fun
Which are best for you?

Don't buy a home because someone tells you you should or because of an investment mantra

Remember by renting you are buying flexibility
What if you were offered job you couldn't turn down and had to move
Having just bought a house might make you hesitate to take it...
If you want more space rent larger apt or even a townhouse and see if you like having more space, maybe yard work...

Have you lived in single family home before? I get the idea that is not part of your background for some reason...

Old 09-21-2015, 01:57 PM

5,080 posts, read 3,778,443 times
Kids need parents who enjoy them and are not stressed over budget issues. Babies don't care if they sleep in a playpen set up in the livingroom. You have at least 3 years after the birth of your first child before s/he even plays in a yard and even then the public playground will be more enjoyable to a child than a private backyard. Until a child is in elementary school s/he has zero awareness of "status" or having a really impressive house.

At this point you don't even have a child......so don't buy a house for a child.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Too much uncertainty IMO on your part

Get a good MLS site
Set target areas for specific neighborhoods that are in good ISD and commute distance
Search all homes for sale in those areas that are around 325K... 3/2.5 homes
W/O any children yet I think you are biting off a lot to buy larger than that

Have you driven through any of the areas where you have looked at homes?
What about shopping, doctors, for fun
Which are best for you?

Don't buy a home because someone tells you you should or because of an investment mantra

Remember by renting you are buying flexibility
What if you were offered job you couldn't turn down and had to move
Having just bought a house might make you hesitate to take it...
If you want more space rent larger apt or even a townhouse and see if you like having more space, maybe yard work...

Have you lived in single family home before? I get the idea that is not part of your background for some reason...
Thanks for the advice.
I have been using redfin, realtor and browsing listings in several areas.
But I have been looking for on 2800-3200 sqft homes and none of them are upgrade din my price range.
I think I can start looking at newere but smaller homes.

I know the areas very well - have been living here for 6 years.
Yes, flexibility is the main reason I have been holding off.
But people telling me I NEED to invest while home prices are still rising is why I started looking.
I am starting to think with too much uncertainty and no immediate need, I can keep renting.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Kids need parents who enjoy them and are not stressed over budget issues. Babies don't care if they sleep in a playpen set up in the livingroom. You have at least 3 years after the birth of your first child before s/he even plays in a yard and even then the public playground will be more enjoyable to a child than a private backyard. Until a child is in elementary school s/he has zero awareness of "status" or having a really impressive house.

At this point you don't even have a child......so don't buy a house for a child.
Agree - if I am stressed or spending too much time in traffic, a large upgraded home would be of no use.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:03 PM

11,674 posts, read 21,245,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post

Great point. And not to be a downer, but OP also has no idea if they'll be able to have kids or if it will be terribly difficult to have them. I know a lot of people who have spent the equivalent of a down payment on IVF and other fertility treatment. If a house works today and is easily affordable, go for it, but my advice is to definitely to over-stretch for a kid you may or may not have someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or