U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 09:09 AM

922 posts, read 564,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
i know someone who drives the dnt from prosper to the aac area every day. The money isn't that great but his alternative is to be a stay at home dad and his kids drive him crazy so work is his refuge.
Lol!
I completely understand!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 09:12 AM

233 posts, read 221,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
Children.... Those pesky things need a good education.

If i was to move it would have to be in HPISD territory or Lakewood just in case private schools dont work out. South Dallas would have me in the same commute situation different direction albeit cheaper. But again... Schools.

Someday i will buy a 60's ranch in Hillcrest or University park somewhere, tear that thing down and build the largest most obnoxious McMansion anyone ever saw on a lot that small. Or maybe a minimalist barely there modern ranch. Or maybe i'll just renovate and french country up the old thing.

I dream about it. To no end. But my accountant stops that dream dead in its tracks at least once a year. We are working on things that will make that a possibility but that is years away.

So no, thats not happening. Not soon anyway.
I know. There is no other choice but HPISD or privates. Both are too expensive if one wants to send kids to good colleges and still retire comfortably.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:30 AM

443 posts, read 339,728 times
Quote:

NINETY MINUTES?????? I cant even fathom.....goodness.

That said if the money is right... I MIGHT consider it..... No, i'll move.... I cant. Your situation makes me want a drink.

There is a drop off involved in my commute so starting time isn't all that flexible. I got a good option on here, i'll drive it this weekend and do it monday.

90 minutes!! I feel lucky now. Geez.
Heh... and I only drink on the weekends.

The only thing wrong with your formula is.... I am putting my house for sale and I am searching for a closer home.

More central, I'd be happy with a 30-45 minute commute non-toll during school season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasG View Post
I know. There is no other choice but HPISD or privates. Both are too expensive if one wants to send kids to good colleges and still retire comfortably.
I know someone who just bought there. $1.1MM and she had to gut the entire place. What an absolute joke.

I am a product of the IL public school system, I turned out just fine.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:43 AM

4,514 posts, read 8,603,211 times
Quote:
The fact that i'm paying for this torture makes it intolerable.
That's why I can't live in North Dallas. I one read a comment complaining that Plano/Frisco is being gated off by tollways. SH 121, PGBT, and the DNT create a dragnet of limited access between IH-35 and US-75. Suburban Houston is increasingly being gated off by tollways, but that's just one project that the state says they can't afford to build (Grand Parkway loop).

Here in Katy, besides the Westpark Tollway and Westheimer Road/Parkway, there's always the Katy Freeway (IH-10) to Downtown Houston. It seems you don't have a third free interstate choice since I think you live in Frisco and the Stemmons is too far or the Central Expressway is a little out of the way?

Old 09-18-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post
Heh... and I only drink on the weekends.

The only thing wrong with your formula is.... I am putting my house for sale and I am searching for a closer home.

More central, I'd be happy with a 30-45 minute commute non-toll during school season.

I know someone who just bought there. $1.1MM and she had to gut the entire place. What an absolute joke.

I am a product of the IL public school system, I turned out just fine.

All the best with your move, I'm thinking your family and friends miss you, lol!

I'll think of you the next time i find myself sandwiched between cars that moved one mile in 20 minutes.

Yeah Dallas is firmly in very deep pockets territory. At least if you want a house thats been updated recently. I like the large lot sizes in some neighbourhoods in dallas. Those are few and far between around here. I also have a fondness for mature trees... And for homes with personality..... Sigh... One day.

Oh i have nothing against public school. But DISD is a different beast. One i'd tackle only if i had no other options. But i do, so....

Last edited by BLDSoon; 09-18-2015 at 10:17 AM..

Old 09-18-2015, 10:03 AM

11,678 posts, read 21,250,268 times
Quote:
All the best with your move, I'm thinking your family and friend miss you, lol!

I'll think of you the next time i find myself sandwiched between cars that moved one mile in 20 minutes.

Yeah Dallas is firmly in very deep pockets territory. At least if you want a house thats been updated recently. I like the large lot sizes in some neighbourhoods in dallas. Those are few and far between around here. I also have a fondness for mature trees... And for homes with personality..... Sigh... One day.

Oh i have nothing against public school. But DISD is a different beast. One i'd tackle only if i had no other options. But i do, so....
There ARE other options between HPISD and South Dallas that would cut your drive time and keep your kids in good schools.. Many parts of the excellent Richardson ISD would cut your commute considerably. Look just north of 635 off Hillcrest for a fantastic location and Richardson HS. Lake Highlands is another good option. Heck, even Coppell to downtown is a shorter drive, time-wise.

On the private school front, Catholic schools cost considerably less than Hockaday/ St Marks/ Greenhill/ ESD. You can still get a great remodeled ranch house on a nice sized lot in northwest Dallas (75229) for $300k range which might free up funds for private school? There are 2 K-8 schools and both single sex high schools within 5 minutes of any house in that area.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
That's why I can't live in North Dallas. I one read a comment complaining that Plano/Frisco is being gated off by tollways. SH 121, PGBT, and the DNT create a dragnet of limited access between IH-35 and US-75. Suburban Houston is increasingly being gated off by tollways, but that's just one project that the state says they can't afford to build (Grand Parkway loop).

Here in Katy, besides the Westpark Tollway and Westheimer Road/Parkway, there's always the Katy Freeway (IH-10) to Downtown Houston. It seems you don't have a third free interstate choice since I think you live in Frisco and the Stemmons is too far or the Central Expressway is a little out of the way?
Way out of the way. Central expressway takes about 20-25 minutes using city roads on the weekend lord only knows how long on a weekday rush hour. An alternate route to it would include... You guessed it, a tollway....actually two.

Stemmons is further out and i can only get there via Tollway. This area is pretty much boxed in by tollways which frankly are performing well under their promised efficiency.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:27 AM

443 posts, read 339,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
There ARE other options between HPISD and South Dallas that would cut your drive time and keep your kids in good schools.. Many parts of the excellent Richardson ISD would cut your commute considerably. Look just north of 635 off Hillcrest for a fantastic location and Richardson HS. Lake Highlands is another good option. Heck, even Coppell to downtown is a shorter drive, time-wise.

On the private school front, Catholic schools cost considerably less than Hockaday/ St Marks/ Greenhill/ ESD. You can still get a great remodeled ranch house on a nice sized lot in northwest Dallas (75229) for $300k range which might free up funds for private school? There are 2 K-8 schools and both single sex high schools within 5 minutes of any house in that area.
That's another issue. I pretty much am clueless on the area PGBT and 635. Everything that I read is that there is tons of crime when you go below PGBT.

I wouldn't be opposed to sending my children to private school. However, it will be pricey I assume.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

You are just a wealth of information

Thank you so much, i'll look into that right now. Richardson is such a mystery to me, i know next to nothing about it. I can count the number of times i've been there on one hand probably. And twice was to the Eisemann center which i'm not sure counts. I think i'll include a stop in Richardson on my Hillcrest drive this weekend.

I lived on the cusp of coppell and Valley ranch for a while in my single days and hated everything about it. Funny thing is all the things i hated about coppell then seem so attractive now. Before we moved here coppell was a strong contender but the inventory just wasn't there at the time.

I'm game for catholic schools but i'm not a parishoner. Don't know how that will affect my chances. Admissions season is coming around i'll just call them and ask them.

Its amazing what you dont know you dont know...... Thanks again.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:31 AM

1,787 posts, read 1,885,270 times
Tons of crime below PGBT is just not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas