U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 11:49 AM

3,815 posts, read 3,723,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Tons of crime below PGBT is just not true.
Right. Some of the apartments that abut PGBT south to Frankford/Midway are questionable, and much of that area is more industrial than residential-focused, especially as you get closer to Addison Airport, but most of the single family homes in that are very desirable and the neighborhoods are pretty nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 11:53 AM

1,788 posts, read 1,890,536 times
I thought he was talking about south of PGBT in general.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:07 PM

3,815 posts, read 3,723,546 times
Quote:
I thought he was talking about south of PGBT in general.
Well, person said south of PGBT to 635, which covers everything from Carrollton to North Dallas to The Galleria to Addison. Pretty big area, and most assuredly not a hotbed of crime. Even if just talking adjacent to PGBT, the houses are fine, the apartments can be questionable. But even some of them are fine.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:21 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,890,536 times
I didn't catch the to 635. Reading and typing on phone. We lived at Marsh/Keller Springs for a couple of years.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:27 PM

11,688 posts, read 21,304,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post
That's another issue. I pretty much am clueless on the area PGBT and 635. Everything that I read is that there is tons of crime when you go below PGBT.

I wouldn't be opposed to sending my children to private school. However, it will be pricey I assume.
I certainly wouldn't call it "tons of crime". There are several crime hotspots to be aware of (Frankford & Midway, Alpha & 75, around the Galleria east of Preston), but none of those are zoned to good schools so you wouldn't even be considering those areas.

Catholic schools are under $10k for lower school and $15-18k range for high school. An excellent bargain, IMO.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
You are just a wealth of information

Thank you so much, i'll look into that right now. Richardson is such a mystery to me, i know next to nothing about it. I can count the number of times i've been there on one hand probably. And twice was to the Eisemann center which i'm not sure counts. I think i'll include a stop in Richardson on my Hillcrest drive this weekend.

I lived on the cusp of coppell and Valley ranch for a while in my single days and hated everything about it. Funny thing is all the things i hated about coppell then seem so attractive now. Before we moved here coppell was a strong contender but the inventory just wasn't there at the time.

I'm game for catholic schools but i'm not a parishoner. Don't know how that will affect my chances. Admissions season is coming around i'll just call them and ask them.

Its amazing what you dont know you dont know...... Thanks again.
St Rita and St Monica are the two schools in the 75229/75220 area for lower school. Christ the King is nearby in the Park Cities (on your way downtown). Both give preference to parishoners and Catholics, but accept qualified students of all faiths & backgrounds as space allows.

Also, many parts of RISD are in Dallas. Don't discount Lake Highlands part of northeast Dallas either. 15-20 minutes to downtown, RISD schools, super family oriented/ great community, and nice neighborboods. Not cheap anymore though!

Old 09-18-2015, 01:42 PM

922 posts, read 567,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
St Rita and St Monica are the two schools in the 75229/75220 area for lower school. Christ the King is nearby in the Park Cities (on your way downtown). Both give preference to parishoners and Catholics, but accept qualified students of all faiths & backgrounds as space allows.

Also, many parts of RISD are in Dallas. Don't discount Lake Highlands part of northeast Dallas either. 15-20 minutes to downtown, RISD schools, super family oriented/ great community, and nice neighborboods. Not cheap anymore though!
What zip code(s) is considered Lake Highlands?

Old 09-18-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
What zip code(s) is considered Lake Highlands?
There are several. Do a MLS search by school and search in White Rock, Lake Highlands, and Merriman Park elementary schools as those are the most sought after.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:14 PM

7,324 posts, read 8,162,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
That's why I can't live in North Dallas. I one read a comment complaining that Plano/Frisco is being gated off by tollways. SH 121, PGBT, and the DNT create a dragnet of limited access between IH-35 and US-75. Suburban Houston is increasingly being gated off by tollways, but that's just one project that the state says they can't afford to build (Grand Parkway loop).

Here in Katy, besides the Westpark Tollway and Westheimer Road/Parkway, there's always the Katy Freeway (IH-10) to Downtown Houston. It seems you don't have a third free interstate choice since I think you live in Frisco and the Stemmons is too far or the Central Expressway is a little out of the way?
Yea ok. I live in North Dallas, Inwood and Royal, I can be in DTD in 10-15 minutes during rush hour. 121 and The Tollway is absolutely not North Dallas. That's Frisco.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:45 AM

3,170 posts, read 1,751,820 times
Commutes of more than 30 minutes in each direction are pretty draining, especially in dense, high-traffic areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas