U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 02:01 PM

28 posts, read 44,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpepping View Post
My girlfriend and I currently live at the Brownstones. We too like that there are no neighbors above or below. My understanding is that the management/ownership changed approximately 2 years ago and they started renovating units. The materials used to renovate aren't the best but are decent. The newer apts around here probably have a better finish out but of course cost more to rent. So you get what you pay for in that regard. We haven't been a victim of crime and haven't witnessed any. I would guess most incidents are cars getting broken into but since we have a garage it isn't something we worry about. Parking can be scarce if you do have visitors over on the weekends. You will occasionally hear your neighbors having a party for the big game, etc. The maintenance crew has been pretty responsive to our minor requests. We haven't had any major maintenance issues. Also, I haven't seen any mice. I have seen ants on the balcony and maintenance came out to spray for that. These are somewhat old apartments and the maintenance crew seems to always be working on something around the complex. For example, they are repainting and resealing all balcony's this week. I do not know if that is a preventative measure or in response to units having issues with the balcony.
Awesome. I was hoping someone who lives there would see this. I'm glad to hear you guys like it. Right now, we have narrowed it down to the Brownstones or Carriage Homes. I talked to one of the managers earlier about the bad reviews for the Brownstones, and while I know she's in the job of selling the property, I do think that she fairly addressed a lot of my concerns.

Are you familiar with the Carriage Homes? They aren't far at all, but have a slightly different vibe I assume since they are surrounded by commercial properties.

Also- at the Brownstones, they keep referring to the available unit being in the "park". What does that mean? Is it a courtyard within the complex?

Sorry for the questions- I need eyes that can stretch to Dallas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingInRichardson View Post
Oh, and welcome to Dallas - I moved here from San Francisco too
Thanks! How do you like it?

Old 09-22-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Come drive around the area. It does vary tons of great apartments stretching up Montfort road going into Addison. I actually like the brownstones and have a friend that stays there. I would absolutely live there. And much is coming just 2 blocks from the Brownstones this is coming. The whole area is going to boom whole the valley view redevelopment starts.

Alpha Tower - HPURBAN
Unfortunately we can't get there before 10/2, and would like to line up a place sooner than later, because we only have a day or two tops when we are there. Glad to know you would live there and have a friend who currently does!!

Thanks!

Old 09-22-2015, 02:42 PM

166 posts, read 173,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke711 View Post
Thanks! How do you like it?
Honestly, I miss everything about San Francisco but the cost. Though that one factor will probably be enough to keep me here until I retire or win the lottery!

Old 09-22-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingInRichardson View Post
Honestly, I miss everything about San Francisco but the cost. Though that one factor will probably be enough to keep me here until I retire or win the lottery!
Well I'm glad to know we aren't alone. I've really been on a roller coaster since this opportunity presented itself with my company, but ultimately, we'd like to one day buy a house or retire

Old 09-22-2015, 04:38 PM

778 posts, read 1,875,675 times
Hello Brook,

I actually live in Carriage Homes. While I personally have mixed opinions on Addison, I do enjoy living here. I actually just moved from a 2BR to a 1BR so you may very well get my old place LOL.

The community is very safe and well maintained with a lot of live oaks; you often times see people walking their dogs. I believe the community is about 20 years old, so it is standard construction for that period. But I do feel all in all they have done a good job keeping them up. Kitchens have stainless steel with at least semi decent wood flooring. And all the units have fairly sizable balconies. The best thing is that you are within walking distance to a Tom Thumb grocery, Chic-fil-a (which is very fragrant LOL) Subway, Torchys Tacos, and a new Trader Joes is going in across the street.

A couple of points though. These aren't true townhouses so you will have either a neighbor above or below you (but never both). The walls and floors aren't super thin, but there have been some times I literally thought someone was in my apartment when in fact it was just a person in the unit above me walking around. And while these units are great for entertaining, parking is very limited outside of your provided garage. So just something to consider.

I am just one person, but I would pick Carriage Homes. I toured the Brownstones and I wasn't impressed. To their credit, it seems like a lot of the bad reviews happened under a previous management company and the new one is trying to rectify things. But I found their units to be lacking in quality with a lot of cheap materials, and they were way overpriced for what they offered.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
Hello Brook,

I actually live in Carriage Homes. While I personally have mixed opinions on Addison, I do enjoy living here. I actually just moved from a 2BR to a 1BR so you may very well get my old place LOL.

The community is very safe and well maintained with a lot of live oaks; you often times see people walking their dogs. I believe the community is about 20 years old, so it is standard construction for that period. But I do feel all in all they have done a good job keeping them up. Kitchens have stainless steel with at least semi decent wood flooring. And all the units have fairly sizable balconies. The best thing is that you are within walking distance to a Tom Thumb grocery, Chic-fil-a (which is very fragrant LOL) Subway, Torchys Tacos, and a new Trader Joes is going in across the street.

A couple of points though. These aren't true townhouses so you will have either a neighbor above or below you (but never both). The walls and floors aren't super thin, but there have been some times I literally thought someone was in my apartment when in fact it was just a person in the unit above me walking around. And while these units are great for entertaining, parking is very limited outside of your provided garage. So just something to consider.

I am just one person, but I would pick Carriage Homes. I toured the Brownstones and I wasn't impressed. To their credit, it seems like a lot of the bad reviews happened under a previous management company and the new one is trying to rectify things. But I found their units to be lacking in quality with a lot of cheap materials, and they were way overpriced for what they offered.
Well crap! We just decided on the Brownstones lol. We will probably stick with it, mostly because we are coming from a 3rd floor apartment with a dog, and don't want to go to another 3rd floor apartment with a dog. I think at least at the Brownstones we will feel like we have quick access to a yard, and more like we are in a home rather than an apartment (hopefully).

Who knows...it could suck when we get there. I'll just remind myself that it's temporary and that the last thing I need is to be lured by the smell of chic fil a every night

Old 09-22-2015, 08:58 PM

459 posts, read 272,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke711 View Post
Unfortunately we can't get there before 10/2, and would like to line up a place sooner than later, because we only have a day or two tops when we are there. Glad to know you would live there and have a friend who currently does!!

Thanks!
I strongly suggest that you do visit the places and see the actual units available before you make any decision. The available unit may be in an undesirable location in the complex (next to garbage dump/a pool with loud parties and noise, facing a busy street etc. ). There are many other places available for rent in Addison and around (Addison circle, Vetruvian park, San Raphael, VV&M and others.) so you can always find something to move within 24 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas