U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 06:36 PM

2,459 posts, read 1,042,039 times

Advertisements

It shouldn't even be snowing at all. But the geography of North America is bad, so there is more cold/snow than there should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 08:13 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,120,343 times
I like that we get a taste of Winter here. It's short and keeps things interesting.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:23 AM

1,034 posts, read 553,609 times
I've lived here all my life. The big danger in the DFW area isn't snow. It's black ice on the roads and monster hail storms that can include golf ball and even softball size hail. Since snow and ice are so rare people here don't change to snow tires or chains and many cities don't have adequate supplies on hand to sand or ice down all of their streets. It doesn't help that the DFW area is so spread out. That's why it's recommended to just hunker down at home until it ends.

Last edited by tcualum; 08-11-2017 at 09:47 AM..

Old 08-11-2017, 09:58 AM

2,493 posts, read 1,852,867 times
My gf and I took a trip to Colorado a few years ago. It happened to be on a night right before a snow/ice storm hit DFW. When we arrived in Denver, it was exactly 0 degrees (Fahrenheit) with moderate to heavy snowfall. We didn't have any issues driving because they were putting salt all over the roads.

In TX, we use sand which provides a little traction but does nothing to alleviate the amount of ice on the road. Needless to say, the drive home from DFW airport after the trip was more treacherous than anything in Colorado (we drove to Denver, Colorado Springs and Vail while we were up there). That night coming back home was memorable because our car was covered in ice and frozen shut. We had an ice scraper IN THE CAR....but it was no good to us since we couldn't open the doors, the trunk or even the hood. Good times :-)

Old 08-11-2017, 10:06 AM

Snow is spotty here because we never seem to get really cold air AND the moisture needed for snow at the same time. Some years we'll have a decent number of strong cold fronts, but it'll be dry and sunny or cloudy but still dry. Other times, it'll be upper 20's to low 30's with a warm ground and snow that barely sticks on the grass.

The snows in 2010/2011 were pretty cool because it snowed heavy and was fairly cold...cold enough for everything to stick. My gf is from Florida but had moved to TX before the 2011 snows. We were both off from school/work and decided to walk across the street to hit up a grocery store. Her jeans got some water on them when she stepped in an icy puddle. 5 minutes later, the bottom 4 inches of her pants were frozen solid.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:20 AM

68 posts, read 34,335 times
I see palm trees in Dallas (while rare, I definitely see them around). Is Dallas the type of place with year round good weather, or will I be reminded of why I'm leaving Michigan come every winter?

Old 08-11-2017, 12:43 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,157,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWtoPHX View Post
I see palm trees in Dallas (while rare, I definitely see them around). Is Dallas the type of place with year round good weather, or will I be reminded of why I'm leaving Michigan come every winter?
What's your definition of good weather? Honestly, there are only a few weeks throughout the year where most people won't go outside (minus rain/storms, of course). Most people will admit August, especially late August/early September, is almost unbearable. And yet I still see people walking their dogs outside, playing golf, kids practicing sports, etc. Life goes on and people figure it out.

And there will be a few days in the winter where the wind howls out of the north when a cold front pushes through and we have temps in the 20s, sometimes even lower. Occasionally those come with snow/ice. But there are plenty of days in the winter where it's in the 50s and people will be outside all day long.

My favorite months are October and November. March is usually nice too but it can be a toss-up in regards to weather. The rule of thumb around here for gardeners is that once we make it past Easter, we *typically* don't have any more freezes. Sometimes it gets a little muggy/windy towards the end of March. Our spring is typically windy.

Texas is nothing like Michigan (could be good or bad).

ETA: In regards to palm trees, there are hardier varieties that do pretty well here. I feel like pool builders must give one out with each pool install because all of my neighbors with pools have one. The big ice storm of 2011 killed a bunch off, but people typically just wrap them up once it gets cold and they do well enough.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:26 PM

683 posts, read 2,093,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Snow is spotty here because we never seem to get really cold air AND the moisture needed for snow at the same time. Some years we'll have a decent number of strong cold fronts, but it'll be dry and sunny or cloudy but still dry. Other times, it'll be upper 20's to low 30's with a warm ground and snow that barely sticks on the grass.
This! Most of the times when it's cold enough for snow, the moisture has gone away. The best chances are usually after a cold front comes through then an upper level low tracks across the area, but then the chances of the temps being cold enough become an issue. Many a time I remember the meteorologists talking up a winter storm that ended up being a dud because of these issues. I grew up in and around northern Texas and ever since I was a child, I always hoped for snow only to be disappointed time and time again. I am a cold weather and snow lover and finally got fed up and moved to Colorado 3 years ago.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterymachinebl View Post
This! Most of the times when it's cold enough for snow, the moisture has gone away. The best chances are usually after a cold front comes through then an upper level low tracks across the area, but then the chances of the temps being cold enough become an issue. Many a time I remember the meteorologists talking up a winter storm that ended up being a dud because of these issues. I grew up in and around northern Texas and ever since I was a child, I always hoped for snow only to be disappointed time and time again. I am a cold weather and snow lover and finally got fed up and moved to Colorado 3 years ago.
Oh that's the worst! The local meteorologists would start off on a random Sunday night 2 weeks prior talking about "there's a possibility of snow." Then they'd say "7 of the 10 forecast models indicate that DFW will receive several inches of snowfall and some cold temperatures."

The cold front would usually arrive half-a-day late but the snow would never come. Dark and heavy clouds, 25 degrees and not even a dadgum flurry lol! The worst is when Dallas proper would get the faintest dusting while a smaller town/suburb about 30 minutes away would have enough snow to bury your ankles. Funniest part was when we'd all be watching the news hoping for school closures. Big school districts (DISD, Richardson ISD etc.) never seemed to close unless there was a decent sheet of ice. Of course on those days when your school district popped up on the "Closed" list.............

Old 08-11-2017, 08:47 PM

68 posts, read 34,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
What's your definition of good weather? Honestly, there are only a few weeks throughout the year where most people won't go outside (minus rain/storms, of course). Most people will admit August, especially late August/early September, is almost unbearable. And yet I still see people walking their dogs outside, playing golf, kids practicing sports, etc. Life goes on and people figure it out.

And there will be a few days in the winter where the wind howls out of the north when a cold front pushes through and we have temps in the 20s, sometimes even lower. Occasionally those come with snow/ice. But there are plenty of days in the winter where it's in the 50s and people will be outside all day long.

My favorite months are October and November. March is usually nice too but it can be a toss-up in regards to weather. The rule of thumb around here for gardeners is that once we make it past Easter, we *typically* don't have any more freezes. Sometimes it gets a little muggy/windy towards the end of March. Our spring is typically windy.

Texas is nothing like Michigan (could be good or bad).

ETA: In regards to palm trees, there are hardier varieties that do pretty well here. I feel like pool builders must give one out with each pool install because all of my neighbors with pools have one. The big ice storm of 2011 killed a bunch off, but people typically just wrap them up once it gets cold and they do well enough.
My definition of good weather would be a place where I don't ever worry about it being gray, cloudy, snowy and freezing for months on end. I'm fine with some chilly days sprinkled throughout, but I mainly like being able to enjoy outdoor activities year round. In Dallas, I think I'd frequent SFOT

When you say TX is nothing like MI, would you think it would fit the bill? I've also been eyeing South Florida, specifically Fort Lauderdale...safe to say it's chosen a worthy opponent, but I don't want to get tired of nonstop heat! I just want better winters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas