U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 06:53 AM

7 posts, read 32,878 times

Advertisements

Hello all...my husband and I are looking to buy a home in DFW next summer. I made a forum about a month ago asking about the southern suburbs (Cedar Hill etc...) because my husband works in Hutchins and we don't want him to have a long commute. But lately my husband has been saying that he doesn't want to stay at his current job longer than a year or two because it is not the kind of job that will advance his career. He has a degree in mechanical engineering and is currently working as a mechanical drafter. So now we are thinking that it might be best to focus our search on one of the larger cities in the middle of the metroplex, so that way if he gets a job in say, Fort Worth, he won't have to commute all the way from Cedar Hill. I would like to get some more information about Arlington, Irving, and Grand Prairie, and any other cities that are in the middle of the metroplex. How is the commute to Dallas and Fort Worth? Is there one that would be more likely than the others to have engineering jobs? (Obviously if he can get a job in the city we live in that would be ideal.) Which one has the best schools? (No kids yet but are planning on it sometime in the future.) Anything else that sets one apart from the others?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 07:07 AM

641 posts, read 538,288 times
Arlington or Irving will do....

I assume there are lots of engineering jobs in Tarrant County... whether it be GM, Bell, or American Airlines.

Can't beat the location in either of those cities as far as commute to Dallas and Ft Worth goes..... well, besides traffic

Old 09-29-2015, 11:19 AM

Is the traffic really bad to Fort Worth? I know it's terrible in North Dallas/Plano.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:07 PM

5,659 posts, read 4,363,490 times
Traffic is bad everywhere but not too terrible (40-50 min) between Irving and FTW or 30 min or less between Arlington & FTW

Old 09-29-2015, 12:13 PM

559 posts, read 774,306 times
Maybe I misunderstand, but are you going to wait to buy until after he makes a change in his job? Because the area is so huge, that even a generally "good location" could turn out to be terrible, if he gets a job far away. For example, I wouldn't want to make the commute from any of those areas, if I had a job northeast up 75 in Richardson, Plano, Allen, or McKinney...

One rule of thumb is to stay on the south side, toward or below I-20, or on the north side, toward or above I-30. The area in between is somewhat more run-down in general. On the south side, there are certain schools that have good reputations here, like Colin Powell Elementary in Grand Prairie, or Martin High School in Arlington. There are a lot of good options on the north side too of course...

But even then, the traffic if you live south and work north can be horrible, for example going up Hwy 360 from Arlington to the DFW airport area. I would wait to narrow it down until the job is settled...

Old 09-29-2015, 05:33 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,439,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin View Post
One rule of thumb is to stay on the south side, toward or below I-20, or on the north side, toward or above I-30. The area in between is somewhat more run-down in general. On the south side, there are certain schools that have good reputations here, like Colin Powell Elementary in Grand Prairie, or Martin High School in Arlington. There are a lot of good options on the north side too of course....
This. There are still good neighborhoods between 20 and 30 but overall this is good advice. Overall these 3 cities along with HEB are well located from a logistical standpoint. But yes you should definitely wait to see where your job will be. DFW spans a large area so even if you moved to that area it is still possible that you could drive a long time.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:02 PM

I guess we had been hoping that he could look for a job close to where we live and try to avoid looking for a job in areas that are far away or with bad commutes. But I know that might not be smart and we keep going back and forth on it...his current job is stable and the pay is decent; he's not going to leave it until he has something else lined up. He's only been at this job for three months and I'm a little worried about him trying to find another one so soon...I feel like it's good to stay at a job for at least 6 months to a year because it looks better on your resume. But at the same time, the whole process of buying a house has to be structured around our lease, which is up at the end of June (they don't offer 6 month leases.) We don't like where we are living now and really don't want to rent again. So we have a lot of things to figure out. Any advice?

Old 09-29-2015, 09:00 PM

641 posts, read 538,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca93 View Post
Is the traffic really bad to Fort Worth? I know it's terrible in North Dallas/Plano.
Everything depends....

7AM - 930AM
4:30P - 6:30P

is bad traffic everywhere... We're all use to it though. Traffic doesn't bother me. It gives me time to unwind after a days work and listen to music. It's my me time!

Traffic on the Dallas side is worst than FW. FW traffic is bearable but it's still going to be stop and go and a lot of under 20mph driving.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:21 AM

Also, we wouldn't be able to afford a house in Allen, Richardson, Plano or McKinney, even if he did get a job there.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:59 AM

5,659 posts, read 4,363,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca93 View Post
I guess we had been hoping that he could look for a job close to where we live and try to avoid looking for a job in areas that are far away or with bad commutes. But I know that might not be smart and we keep going back and forth on it...his current job is stable and the pay is decent; he's not going to leave it until he has something else lined up. He's only been at this job for three months and I'm a little worried about him trying to find another one so soon...I feel like it's good to stay at a job for at least 6 months to a year because it looks better on your resume. But at the same time, the whole process of buying a house has to be structured around our lease, which is up at the end of June (they don't offer 6 month leases.) We don't like where we are living now and really don't want to rent again. So we have a lot of things to figure out. Any advice?
My advise is to rent an apartment near his present job that offers either 6 month or month 2 month leases. Then when you have stable employment or just want to move to another place it will not be difficult. Thats the best solution when you want to move but don't know where to settle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or