Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 04:23 PM

164 posts, read 251,079 times

Advertisements

We bought a fixer-upper a couple of years ago and as we make the long slow march towards a perfect house we've decided to replace our aging wooden fence. I've been doing some research and am intrigued by the low-maintenance and durability offered by vinyl/composite fencing. I live in a neighborhood that was constructed in the early 1960s and all the homes have wooden fences. I definitely don't want to put an obnoxious fence that doesn't fit the area, so would be interested in some of the wood-look options.

Has anyone had any experience with vinyl fencing? Does anyone know where any wood-look vinyl fencing is actually installed anywhere in the area that I could actually go look at? Are their any drawbacks I might not be considering? The wood-look stuff of course looks perfect on the manufacturers websites but I'm sure how they look in practice might be different. Any input is definitely welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 08:16 PM

6,255 posts, read 16,993,938 times
I'd stick with a wooden fence if I were you...

We had a vinyl fence around our condo complex in FL. It looked good when new, had the "wood" texture to it, painted white. However, the fence is very lightweight. Strong wind gusts and storms were always knocking down sections of it. Whether that was owing to the initial install I don't know, but it didn't seem very sturdy at all.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:10 PM

119 posts, read 190,935 times
Not my own experience, here is what I heard from someone who had vinyl fence:
- it is more expensive
- for some reason algae tend to grow on it quite fast, so you may need to pressure wash it every year.

On the pro side: it looks nice and will probably last longer than wood.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:18 AM

5,252 posts, read 6,343,838 times
Quote:
Has anyone had any experience with vinyl fencing? Does anyone know where any wood-look vinyl fencing is actually installed anywhere in the area that I could actually go look at?
Here's an address with a white vinyl fence, and there are some others in the surrounding neighborhood as well: 2613 Kelsey Ct, Plano, TX 75075. It's a couple of years old.

If you are looking in Richardson, it's not too far away. Google has streetviewed the alley, you can see it online if you don't want to drive there.

I'm assuming posting a random person's address is ok - if not, delete away.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:26 PM

244 posts, read 512,205 times
That vinyl fence looks nice. I wonder what the cost difference is between that and a new wood fence with board on board look.
We have an old fence where the boards are right next to each other and as it ages and the wood shrinks the gaps get larger to where if your walking/driving by you can see right through.

I like the vinyl because it will never have that issue but i do wonder how it would hold up over time like vinyl siding that eventually gets that chalky look and if you touch it rubs off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Here's an address with a white vinyl fence, and there are some others in the surrounding neighborhood as well: 2613 Kelsey Ct, Plano, TX 75075. It's a couple of years old.

If you are looking in Richardson, it's not too far away. Google has streetviewed the alley, you can see it online if you don't want to drive there.

I'm assuming posting a random person's address is ok - if not, delete away.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:16 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,616,889 times
I had a white vinyl fence in Salt Lake City. Snow & winds didn't touch it. It was about 6-7 y/o when I sold that house, looked new. I bought the type with 3 horizontal boards, which is stronger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas