U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-28-2015, 03:42 PM
 
18 posts, read 14,181 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

So I am in the process of having my home built in the Frisco Hills community. Currently, my home is framed, roof is finished - pre-drywall. I have been taking pictures of poor workmanship throughout the build process and just recently found out that the framers that framed my home were let go due to poor performance.

The model of my home is new so there are only 3 constructed including mine. The third is going through the framing process and I am noticing huge differences between my framing and the new one. For instance, in the garage - the roof gable in missing and I'm missing some vital support beams. Where there are 3 boards running across as support - mine are incomplete pieces of wood - like that ran out of wood and added 5 short pieces to make the length. The entire design of the framing in my roof over the garage is different than the other 2 homes ( same model and elevation ).

So my construction manager's boss is taking over my home construction. They know I want certain areas redone - as in pulling the roof to fix it properly. I've asked sales to arrange a meeting but he doesn't want to meet me until the framing is inspected. Makes me believe that they want to see what they want to get away with not fixing.

I know that I'm not building a custom home, but if they deviate from the design in the framing can they get away with this if city inspectors pass it on inspection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2015, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX and Las Vegas, NV
5,072 posts, read 3,770,509 times
Reputation: 10034
Call the city inspector and ask them this question also ask when they are coming and if you might be present at the time of this inspection. I have found city departments to be very receptive to concerns of future taxpayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2015, 04:33 PM
 
18 posts, read 14,181 times
Reputation: 15
That's a great idea! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Call the city inspector and ask them this question also ask when they are coming and if you might be present at the time of this inspection. I have found city departments to be very receptive to concerns of future taxpayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2015, 07:53 PM
 
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
1,855 posts, read 5,670,655 times
Reputation: 3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by home13oy75 View Post
So I am in the process of having my home built in the Frisco Hills community. Currently, my home is framed, roof is finished - pre-drywall. I have been taking pictures of poor workmanship throughout the build process and just recently found out that the framers that framed my home were let go due to poor performance.

The model of my home is new so there are only 3 constructed including mine. The third is going through the framing process and I am noticing huge differences between my framing and the new one. For instance, in the garage - the roof gable in missing and I'm missing some vital support beams. Where there are 3 boards running across as support - mine are incomplete pieces of wood - like that ran out of wood and added 5 short pieces to make the length. The entire design of the framing in my roof over the garage is different than the other 2 homes ( same model and elevation ).

So my construction manager's boss is taking over my home construction. They know I want certain areas redone - as in pulling the roof to fix it properly. I've asked sales to arrange a meeting but he doesn't want to meet me until the framing is inspected. Makes me believe that they want to see what they want to get away with not fixing.

I know that I'm not building a custom home, but if they deviate from the design in the framing can they get away with this if city inspectors pass it on inspection?
I would recommend that if you are going to call the City Building Inspections Department that you ask if they will be performing a FULL framing review utilizing the builder's recent plans or if they will be performing spot checks only and using the builder's Third Party Inspection results as the rest of the framing inspection verification.

As an FYI you can also watch the results of the City Building Inspections results on Frisco's WEB site here Welcome to the Building Inspections Division . On that page is a link titled "Permit Information Online" which you can use to view the status of the City inspections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2015, 08:14 PM
 
139 posts, read 152,016 times
Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
I would recommend that if you are going to call the City Building Inspections Department that you ask if they will be performing a FULL framing review utilizing the builder's recent plans or if they will be performing spot checks only and using the builder's Third Party Inspection results as the rest of the framing inspection verification.

As an FYI you can also watch the results of the City Building Inspections results on Frisco's WEB site here Welcome to the Building Inspections Division . On that page is a link titled "Permit Information Online" which you can use to view the status of the City inspections.
Agree with escanlan. I suggest you do a pre-dry wall third party inspection and make sure the builder fixes each one of the issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2015, 07:39 AM
 
959 posts, read 1,012,563 times
Reputation: 604
Who is your builder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2015, 10:46 AM
 
769 posts, read 487,264 times
Reputation: 1786
Quote:
Originally Posted by home13oy75 View Post
Where there are 3 boards running across as support - mine are incomplete pieces of wood - like that ran out of wood and added 5 short pieces to make the length.
Do you have pictures?

It's difficult to say if this applies to your house but it's common nowadays to use finger jointed wood for vertical studs and those look like someone pieced together a stud from leftover wood. Which is what the factory did. This looks cheap and flimsy but is marketed as superior especially for longer studs because they are typically straighter than a one-piece stud.

If this is a horizontal beam than it is a different story. Horizontal beams can be made as glulams, which also look crappy (=like fancy plywood) in my opinion but are a solid choice.

Without pictures it's difficult to say though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2015, 05:02 PM
 
18 posts, read 14,181 times
Reputation: 15
Cheldan Homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Who is your builder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2015, 05:04 PM
 
18 posts, read 14,181 times
Reputation: 15
Thanks for the information - it was really hepful. My home is actually built in Little Elm but with Frisco ISD. I'll look at Little Elms WEB site to see if they have anything similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
I would recommend that if you are going to call the City Building Inspections Department that you ask if they will be performing a FULL framing review utilizing the builder's recent plans or if they will be performing spot checks only and using the builder's Third Party Inspection results as the rest of the framing inspection verification.

As an FYI you can also watch the results of the City Building Inspections results on Frisco's WEB site here Welcome to the Building Inspections Division . On that page is a link titled "Permit Information Online" which you can use to view the status of the City inspections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2015, 05:09 PM
 
18 posts, read 14,181 times
Reputation: 15
I have a ton of pictures, but need to find a place to host the pictures so I can post it. This is pure poor craftsmanship --- it's so bad no one would mistake it for anything else. The problem is city inspection probably will pass it since it probably won't fall on my head in the next 10 years. Would anyone in their right mind want to own a home constructed like this --- definitely no. I'll find a place to host the pictures. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
Do you have pictures?

It's difficult to say if this applies to your house but it's common nowadays to use finger jointed wood for vertical studs and those look like someone pieced together a stud from leftover wood. Which is what the factory did. This looks cheap and flimsy but is marketed as superior especially for longer studs because they are typically straighter than a one-piece stud.

If this is a horizontal beam than it is a different story. Horizontal beams can be made as glulams, which also look crappy (=like fancy plywood) in my opinion but are a solid choice.

Without pictures it's difficult to say though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top