U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Fort Worth different enough from Dallas for a person to like one and dislike the other?
Yes 48 77.42%
No 14 22.58%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 12:09 PM

9,806 posts, read 20,433,221 times

Advertisements

I personally strongly prefer Fort Worth to Dallas. I think it's a lot less pretentious, has friendlier people, and has a better cultural scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 01:03 PM

905 posts, read 949,522 times
There are great things about both cities. I have lived in both, but right now I love being right in the middle!

Last edited by 4Movingeast; 09-30-2015 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 09-30-2015, 01:26 PM

780 posts, read 1,954,924 times
The two cities are more alike than they are different nowadays. If one completely despises Dallas, I would have a hard time viewing Fort Worth as a viable alternative. But they definitely have distinct personalities.

Ft Worth is far more blue collar, more conservative, and less materialistic. It is definitely a lot more "Texas-y" than Dallas, if that is your thing. Personally, I prefer Fort Worth due to the slightly friendlier people and I am a sucker for Sundance Square. But you would be giving up better shopping and easier access to airports (i.e. no Love Field/Southwest). And given that Ft Worth is a bit more energy dependent in their economy, I'd say the opportunities are probably better on the Dallas side of the metroplex.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:06 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,988,093 times
The restaurant scene is Dallas is so much better than Ft Worth.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:54 PM

641 posts, read 538,448 times
The answer is yes and no. Depends on the person. I don't dislkike either. They are the yin to the yang. I'd bet money that there are more tarrant county people that dislike dallas than vice versa. It's kind of hard to "hate" the fort worth side being a dallas person. I could see a why a rural person would hate fort worth.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
The answer is yes and no. Depends on the person. I don't dislkike either. They are the yin to the yang. I'd bet money that there are more tarrant county people that dislike dallas than vice versa. It's kind of hard to "hate" the fort worth side being a dallas person. I could see a why a rural person would hate fort worth.
Totally agree- had that conversation w/ some friends the other night. The "rivalry" is very one -sided.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:45 PM

8,252 posts, read 9,004,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Tell me that Ft Lauderdale couldn't be a suburb of Houston. The whole of Miami is not South Beach.

Never been to Baghdad, but Paris is as far from a Texas city as you could imagine, in terms of politics, personal space, buildout, everything.
One of my best friends lives in Lauderdale literally on the intercostal waterway - he can literally boat to dinner and drinks.

I think you thesis is generally sound but your examples are hysterical.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:48 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,512,043 times
Fort Worthless? Oh dear... you do know there is a rivalry going way back, exacerbated by a jealous Amon G. Carter after Dallas took the lead getting the 1936 Centennial at Fair Park?

Old 09-30-2015, 05:07 PM

2,092 posts, read 2,563,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
One of my best friends lives in Lauderdale literally on the intercostal waterway - he can literally boat to dinner and drinks.

I think you thesis is generally sound but your examples are hysterical.
I'm envious of that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Fort Worthless? Oh dear... you do know there is a rivalry going way back, exacerbated by a jealous Amon G. Carter after Dallas took the lead getting the 1936 Centennial at Fair Park?
Lol you're so old school. In a good way though

Old 09-30-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
OK, maybe my friends and I were wrong and the rivalry is more two-sided than we thought. Lakewooder, I usually defend how you stick up for your `hood but Ft Worth is anything but "worthless."

The Kimball
Amon Carter
The Modern
FW Museum of Science and Natural History
Cattle Raisers Museum
Downtown/Sundance Square
TCU
Tx Wesleyan
The Tarrant Co Community College system
the Stockyards
Will Rogers Memorial Coliseum
St Emilion
Luciles
The Original
Esperanza's
Colonial Country Club
Angelo's BBQ
Fred's

These are all wonderful places/institutions which are uniquely "Ft Worth." I don't like to hear people bash Dallas (because there's no reason to), and I have lived in both places, but I was raised in FW, and that means something to me. For the record, I voted that they are different, but I love them both!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or