U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Fort Worth different enough from Dallas for a person to like one and dislike the other?
Yes 48 77.42%
No 14 22.58%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 06:15 PM

162 posts, read 119,517 times

Advertisements

There is a difference to me personally between FTW and Dallas. FTW is more laid back, calmer, and personable then Dallas which is more fast pace and not as personable. FTW to me has the small town feeling but in a big city. Also I much prefer downtown FTW over downtown Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 06:20 PM

15 posts, read 10,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
The restaurant scene is Dallas is so much better than Ft Worth.
That doesn't sound promising...

Old 09-30-2015, 06:54 PM

1,787 posts, read 1,884,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereIsMyHome View Post
That doesn't sound promising...
Neither does your vagueness.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:11 PM

15 posts, read 10,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
Neither does your vagueness.
I was none too impressed with Dallas's food scene (Trophy Lake, Plano, Frisco, Roanoke, etc...) last time I was there. So to say that Fort Worth's food is worse than Dallas's is disheartening.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
I was none too impressed with Dallas's food scene (Trophy Lake, Plano, Frisco, Roanoke, etc...) last time I was there. So to say that Fort Worth's food is worse than Dallas's is disheartening.
I'm not even sure where to begin with this. Have you even been to Fort Worth or Dallas? Before someone else comes in and says it's not NYC, CHI, or San Francisco that should be a given. One of if not the best meal I've had was in Chicago.

Do you live here? Are you thinking of moving here?

Old 09-30-2015, 08:51 PM

641 posts, read 493,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susman View Post
There is a difference to me personally between FTW and Dallas. FTW is more laid back, calmer, and personable then Dallas which is more fast pace and not as personable. FTW to me has the small town feeling but in a big city. Also I much prefer downtown FTW over downtown Dallas.
Exactly.... Like I said, it depends on the person and what you're in to. I've lived in both. The younger me enjoyed Dallas and never went to Fort Worth (only because I intentionally avoided going). The older me enjoys Fort Worth/Arlington more. A young person would have a blast in Fort Worth too (7th street and TCU area).

I'd imagine the kind of person that prefers Dallas and despises Fort Worth to be:

1. First and foremost, a person that doesn't know much about FW. I'd bet there's more people moving to FW
from Dallas than vice versa. More ppl in FW are familiar with Dallas than vice versa and have a legitimate reason to not like it.
2. Pretentious (ex: enjoys the more grandiose skyline, enjoys the label of being "from Dallas" which obviously
is more known worldwide, enjoys being around other pretentious people)
3. Maybe they're a busy body and enjoy a city that has a big city feel (grittier, more glitz, more things to do)

^^That was me when I was young and single (no way I was going to consider a city that called themselves cowtown. I also moved from another state and wanted the label of being a Dallas resident. I automatically thought it was the better of the two b/c it is more known)

I'd imagine the kind of person that prefers FW and despise Dallas to be:

1. Someone who rather be around friendlier and less pretentious people.
2. Someone who rather be in a cleaner city that seems to be maintained better (FW's downtown is undoubtedly
better, FW has lower crime, better school districts)
3. Someone who hates bumper to bumper traffic or driving with maniacs (FW has maniac drivers and traffic but
nothing trumps traffic in Dallas and maniacs drivers on 35E)
4. Someone who is perfectly fine with all the entertainment options that FW offers (which is a lot by the way).
5. Someone who has kids to raise and wants to provide their kids with the best quality of life.

^^On that note, the quality of life on the FW side is just better. I'm happy living on the FW side and occasionally playing on the Dallas side (if I play there at all). Which is why I said, I'm sure there are more ppl in FW that despise Dallas than vice versa. I've lived in both and don't despise either. When I lived in Dallas, I didn't despise FW b/c I knew nothing about it and didn't want to know about it. My conclusions of FW were based off of baseless accusations (FW is racist, hick town, cowtown, etc is what I heard from people that knew nothing about FW). Now i'm on the FW side and I see that FW is pretty cool. I'm glad work brought me to this side of the metro. It excels in quality of life but it is a bore if you are the pretentious type.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:01 PM

There is definitely some imagination going on in here.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:46 PM

408 posts, read 533,235 times
Quote:

For the record....when Ace says Dallas's food scene is better (which as a Ft. Worth/Tarrant County resident, I completely and 100% agree), he is talking about Dallas the city, not its far flung suburbs. Heck, Roanoke and Trophy Club aren't even Dallas suburbs. They're tiny Fort Worth/Denton exurbs. Yeah, it's not New York City, but if you can't find food you like in either city, a city of over 1,000,000 people and another closing in on that number, I'm not sure what to tell you. Both Dallas and Fort Worth have plenty of good, unique dining options. The suburbs are going to be more chain-restaurant oriented like anywhere else.

To answer the original question...yes, and no. Yes, they are culturally different in that Dallas is more urban, faster paced, glitzier, and more developed, while Fort Worth is smaller, more open, a bit more laid back and blue collar, and I'd argue more culturally minded when it comes to the arts and history. All in all, they're both Texas, and I could personally live in either place. In fact, I have lived in both cities. I grew up on the Fort Worth side, lived in Dallas for several years, and now I'm back in Tarrant County. It's all North Texas at the end of the day: two sibling cities with different quirks.

Last edited by RayStokes; 09-30-2015 at 09:55 PM..

Old 10-01-2015, 09:35 AM

1,595 posts, read 1,570,930 times
Quote:
Um, none of those places are Dallas....
That's like saying NYC dining options are poor because I visited Parsippany.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:37 AM

1,595 posts, read 1,570,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Fort Worthless? Oh dear... you do know there is a rivalry going way back, exacerbated by a jealous Amon G. Carter after Dallas took the lead getting the 1936 Centennial at Fair Park?
Not the best example given how Dallas has maintained the Fair Park area since then....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or