U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Fort Worth different enough from Dallas for a person to like one and dislike the other?
Yes 48 77.42%
No 14 22.58%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 12:01 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,109,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
Not the best example given how Dallas has maintained the Fair Park area since then....
Hey! At least there's no cow poop in the streets!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 12:21 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,109,796 times
^ Shortest membership period ever, LOL

EDIT: ...And now my comment makes no sense at all.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:42 PM

18,211 posts, read 25,908,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Actually Fort Lauderdale is more urban than Houston IMO, but a lot smaller. It's prettier, has comparable shopping, less traffic, and it's a lot more fun. I like Fort Lauderdale a lot better than Fort Worth too, but it's a toss up with Dallas.
Eh. I would say FTL has the more active downtown which is sad because FTL downtown isn't all the great though I haven't been in a decade. But outside of downtown, it doesn't look any different than the rest of the inner loop. The rest of your post is true though regarding FTL.

OTOH, LA is nothing like OKC which is nothing like Miami which is nothing like Charlotte. I don't understand the point somebody made saying that all sunbelt cities are alike.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:57 PM

6,166 posts, read 3,253,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereIsMyHome View Post
Is Fort Worth different enough from Dallas for a person to like one and dislike the other?
The weather is the same. Otherwise, they are different.

Dallas is a large city (on the small side of "large," but still a large city), while Ft. Worth is medium sized. Dallas is very spread out, encompassing a huge area, and most of it is covered in cement. It is a little on the up-side side (pretty, state of the art office buildings downtown; stylish clothing worn by many of the office workers and of course the elite; has Highland Park, which is among the wealthiest areas of a large city in the nation).

Ft. Worth grew from a cowtown, I think. Stockyards and such. It is much smaller, has a slower pace (altho I wouldn't say Dallas is fast paced for a large city), has smaller office buildings, more laid back atmosphere. The payscale is lower in Ft. Worth, as it usu. is in smaller cities.

Those are the differences, as I see them. If someone wants to shop for Ralph Lauren, lunch at Nordstrom's, work in a high rise, make as much money as possible, spend a lot of time in a car....Dallas is for you. If you want to work in a smaller place, have more choices to ride your bike, have more of a chance to wear jeans to office on Fridays, have less of a commute time, want less concrete...Ft. Worth is for you. (But that's not to say that all of Dallas is hoity toity...it's not. Most people are ordinary working people, shopping for clothing and household supplies at big box discount stores, just like everyone else.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:28 PM
BCB

1,006 posts, read 1,352,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereIsMyHome View Post
I was none too impressed with Dallas's food scene (Trophy Lake, Plano, Frisco, Roanoke, etc...) last time I was there. So to say that Fort Worth's food is worse than Dallas's is disheartening.
I went to Chicago once, and by Chicago I mean Cincinnati, and wasn't impressed with the food scene either.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:27 AM

641 posts, read 493,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
The weather is the same. Otherwise, they are different.

Dallas is a large city (on the small side of "large," but still a large city), while Ft. Worth is medium sized. Dallas is very spread out, encompassing a huge area, and most of it is covered in cement. It is a little on the up-side side (pretty, state of the art office buildings downtown; stylish clothing worn by many of the office workers and of course the elite; has Highland Park, which is among the wealthiest areas of a large city in the nation).

Ft. Worth grew from a cowtown, I think. Stockyards and such. It is much smaller, has a slower pace (altho I wouldn't say Dallas is fast paced for a large city), has smaller office buildings, more laid back atmosphere. The payscale is lower in Ft. Worth, as it usu. is in smaller cities.

Those are the differences, as I see them. If someone wants to shop for Ralph Lauren, lunch at Nordstrom's, work in a high rise, make as much money as possible, spend a lot of time in a car....Dallas is for you. If you want to work in a smaller place, have more choices to ride your bike, have more of a chance to wear jeans to office on Fridays, have less of a commute time, want less concrete...Ft. Worth is for you. (But that's not to say that all of Dallas is hoity toity...it's not. Most people are ordinary working people, shopping for clothing and household supplies at big box discount stores, just like everyone else.
I'll give you slow but medium sized, it is not. It's all a matter of overall population and population density

My definition of city size in metros with over 1 million ppl:

Small Town: 0-100k population
Ex: Mansfield, Rowlett
Big Town: 100k-250k Ex: Mesquite,Killeen,Waco, Charleston SC
Small City: 250k-500k OR 100k-500k w/ pop density over 1k Ex: Irving, Garland, Tulsa
Medium City: 500k-750k or 250k-500k w/ pop density over 3k in metro w/ over 3 million Ex: Arlington, Plano, El Paso, Las Vegas
Big City 750k-1.5M & over 2k pop density: (FW is in this category now) Ex: SA,Dallas,FW,Austin, Charlotte
Huge City 1.5M+ & over 3.5k pop density OR 500K+ w/ over 10k pop density in metro w/ over 3 million ex: Houston, Chicago, LA, NY, SF

Cities with similar population numbers to FW:

San Francisco (40k more ppl)
Seattle (140k less ppl)
Denver,DC,Boston (160k less ppl)

So why does FW and Dallas feel smaller and slower than those cities?:

San Francisco (17k pop density compared to FWs 2.4k and Dallas 3.8k)
Seattle (7.5k pop density)
Denver (4.2k pop density)
DC(10k pop density)
Boston(13k pop density)

Again, I wouldn't call FW medium, it is definitely a big city with smaller population density. And with smaller density comes friendlier, less pretentious people. I'll warn anyone moving to FW for that reason alone though. FW's population growth is outpacing Dallas, it will have more than 1 million ppl in the next decade and it's density will rise with those numbers. Dallas and FW are the same size (340sq miles) but FW has a better chance at annexing and becoming even larger. The two cities populations will begin to even out over the years. One advantage FW has over Dallas though: People escape Dallas city limits for better schools, lower crime, and nice subdivisions in the burbs. This can be had within the city limits of FW. Dallas doesn't really have an answer for the northern area of FW besides well, "move to the burbs."

Last point, according to my definition of what's big and small. FW would've fit into small/medium city category 10 years ago when it had around 500k people. Now it has over 800k and growing fast. Most of the advice you will get will be from people speaking of the FW from 10 years ago. It's not your daddy's city anymore and most people in DFW who aren't very familiar with FW have no idea. That was me when I lived in Dallas a decade ago.

Last edited by FJB327; 10-03-2015 at 11:13 AM..

Old 10-03-2015, 12:35 PM

641 posts, read 493,280 times
And by town,,, I mean townlike cities... I'm well aware that those towns are actually incorporated cities but they have a town vibe when they are that small

Old 10-04-2015, 06:05 AM

3,099 posts, read 1,722,747 times
When I moved to Texas, I didn't really consider Fort Worth. It was all about Dallas. I was looking for a city that had the most amount of job opportunities and most amount of social opportunities. If I was going to move to the region without knowing anyone, Dallas was going to be the stronger fit for me than Fort Worth.

Under different circumstances, I think Fort Worth could have made sense for me. I haven't been to Fort Worth much during my time in Dallas. I would actually like to spend a little bit more time there but haven't gotten around to it.

All of it comes down to what you are looking for in a place. Fort Worth is slower paced than Dallas. Dallas has a reputation for being pretentious. There are more corporate HQs in Dallas than Fort Worth and more diversity in terms of industry of HQs.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:55 AM

5,699 posts, read 1,717,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Southern cities are all the same to me, from LA to Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, Oklahoma City, Atlanta, and Miami.
I agree with some of what you say, but this is way off. Dallas and Atlanta, for example, couldn't be more different.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:22 AM

3,099 posts, read 1,722,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Southern cities are all the same to me, from LA to Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, Oklahoma City, Atlanta, and Miami. At least the weather is a little different between LA (unless you live in the valley) and Miami. Dallas and Ft Worth weather is exactly the same.
I can see where you are coming from on this and I'll focus on the cities from the list I know well, which are Los Angeles, Phoenix, and Dallas.

All 3 are sprawling. They lack public transportation to a grand scale like you would find in New York City. The population density is much lower than New York City. They are all car dependent and basically suburban in nature.

All 3 are very image oriented. Phoenix is often categorized as a wannabe-LA.

In terms of location of nightlife, they differ. LA nightlife isn't always in Central LA, it can be in more suburban areas and by the beach. Phoenix's best night spots are in the suburbs of Tempe/Scottsdale. Dallas' nightlife is in Central Dallas (Uptown, Knox-Henderson, Greenville, Deep Ellum, Downtown).

Dallas is more economically prosperous than Phoenix.

Phoenix was basically nothing until the advent of air conditioning after World War II. Dallas was more of something before air conditioning, but most of its growth was post World War II. Los Angeles had significant growth before the end of World War II.

Most Sun Belt cities grew rapidly after World War II, whereas New York, Boston, etc. have more of an identity because they are older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or