U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 06:27 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,380,156 times

Advertisements

I am renting a house and the past 2 months my landlord is constantly calling us and texting us to water their lawn. I wouldn't mind doing it but the problem is that it's coming out of my pocket and I really can't afford to raise my water bill even higher. The lawn, trees, and shrubs aren't dying or anything and there isn't a difference from ours and our neighbors. They have already came 3 times with a hose and watered it for hours but I don't know what to tell them. Is that allowed?

The landlord wants us to water the lawn and in particular the walls and around the driveway due to fear the foundation could get damaged (which it already was before we even got the house). I feel like the landlord is in contact with the neighbors to see if we actually do it because she is always bugging us. There is no mention of it on our lease and we never even talked about it when we initially rent it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 06:30 PM

6,461 posts, read 6,099,147 times
It's not in the lease. I would do it if the yard looks distressed. That's about it. See if they will take a reduction in rent to water consistently.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:51 PM

7,077 posts, read 16,893,484 times
If there were Realtors involved in the lease, you should have used the Texas form from the Texas Association of Realtors and it does say in there if the landlord will do lawn maintenance or if the tenant is responsible. The leases I write even have something that states the tenant must follow the city water rules for restrictions and no watering after 10am to before 8pm during the summer days to prevent water evaporation.

When you move out, if there is foundation cracking because you did not water, that is not normal wear and tear and the landlord can go after you for damages if the damages are more than the deposit. If foundation work is needed, it's going to be more than your deposit.

With that, do you want to spend an extra $10 a month on your water bill, or do you want a $5-10k foundation invoice to pay?

Old 09-29-2015, 06:54 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,109,796 times
^ What he said.

Water is fairly cheap, and with temps coming down, you should have no problem watering the lawn and keeping the foundation moist.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:29 PM

233 posts, read 221,327 times
Even if it isn't in your lease, it's implied. If you kill landscape or ruin foundation then you'll be liable. People who don't want to deal with it, are better off in apartments or must get written waivers.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:04 AM

769 posts, read 487,747 times
If I was your landlord I would not renew the lease. If you can't afford your water bill then your financial situation is not good enough to rent this house.

You live in this house so YOU are responsible for basic things like watering the lawn.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:24 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
If there were Realtors involved in the lease, you should have used the Texas form from the Texas Association of Realtors and it does say in there if the landlord will do lawn maintenance or if the tenant is responsible. The leases I write even have something that states the tenant must follow the city water rules for restrictions and no watering after 10am to before 8pm during the summer days to prevent water evaporation.

When you move out, if there is foundation cracking because you did not water, that is not normal wear and tear and the landlord can go after you for damages if the damages are more than the deposit. If foundation work is needed, it's going to be more than your deposit.

With that, do you want to spend an extra $10 a month on your water bill, or do you want a $5-10k foundation invoice to pay?
^^^^ This.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:26 AM

177 posts, read 235,712 times
If you are worried about what amounts to an extra $10-20 in water bill per month, then you probably should have rented a cheaper place. That should not kill your monthly budget if you rented within your means.

And as others have said, it can severely impact the foundation which means you would likely get $0 of deposit and be liable for additional damages. Damages to foundations run into the thousands of dollars...

Old 09-30-2015, 07:32 AM

409 posts, read 841,883 times
Your landlord did not put it in the lease which is a big oops. But common courtesy says water the lawn. Damaging the foundation is huge and I would not be surprised if the owner is on their way to figuring out how to evict you as I am sure your deposit was nowhere near how much it would cost to do foundation repair.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:59 AM

3,467 posts, read 6,814,869 times
WTF Why rent a house is you can't keep up the lawn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or