U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 07:56 PM

25,905 posts, read 49,920,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Of course your bills are way less... you have 1/3 the house we do here.
How much do you spend for gas and electric for your 3 x 2400 sqft. home of 7,200?

For the record... I did not realize a Texas home is 7200 square feet.

The folks I know living in Texas must be strapped... the largest home is half that...

Could it be Texans tend to need larger homes due to weather extremes and more time spent inside?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 08:05 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,170,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
How much do you spend for gas and electric for your 3 x 2400 sqft. home of 7,200?

For the record... I did not realize a Texas home is 7200 square feet.

The folks I know living in Texas must be strapped... the largest home is half that...

Could it be Texans tend to need larger homes due to weather extremes and more time spent inside?
My home is 5550 sq ft. Gas and electric ran me $300 last month.

Texans have larger homes because we don't have to compromise on size compared to most other places.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:34 PM

732 posts, read 501,587 times
Quote:
Actually, it looks like I was too generous to the Californians. Just did a search on realtor.com from 500k-550k in Torrance (where Toyota is located.) Looks like houses are more towards the 1000-1500 sq ft mark, and with tiny lots around 5000 sq ft for $500k and up.

Schools are lesser quality too.
I love how someone who has never lived in Ca can make the statement that schools in Torrance are of lesser quality. Less than what? Certainly not McKinney and Prosper. Maybe slightly less than Plano, but plenty getting into UC schools that are ranked higher than UT. Just sayin. But again you seem to have everything figured out.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:35 PM

25,905 posts, read 49,920,525 times
Quote:

Texans have larger homes because we don't have to compromise on size compared to most other places.
Roughly double and my part of California has some of the highest rates in the country...

I pay about $27 per 1,000 square feet and you about $54 per 1000, square feet.

I did fill up my gas tank this week and paid $2.59 a gallon and was actually happy about it... I imagine you guys are under $2?

Old 10-04-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:

And enjoy sitting in that large house come Jan/February when the ice storm hits or there is 35 degree and below weather.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
If you live in California you can't afford the same price house as you can in Texas. Taxes and other cost items make it very difficult. Perhaps a fairer way is compare the same size home in a similar location in California to Texas with the same school quality and low crime stats.
Oh I don't know. If you bought a house for $600k valued at $1M now, you could afford a $600k home in Texas. Could one afford $1M that's up to that individual, but who would want to pay $23k annually in property taxes for a $1M home. Seems crazy, although plenty do.

One can go plenty of places in CA away from the coasts and have the same quality of schools as McKinney, Frisco and Prosper as well as the Lakewood area in Dallas and not pay more than $800k. Plano does have great schools, but the prices are rising and closing the gap to those non-coastal areas. I agree you can't compare a $1M home in a coastal area or even within 10 miles of the coast to Plano. You have to drive 10 hours plus to the nearest beach in Plano.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Was both homes vauled the same? What about the income difference? Compare a 500k home in both cities with the same income, then get back to me.
Yes, somewhat that gets it. Companies do pay more in Ca, but I'm sure that will illicit an argument. Take away the relos to Texas and this is true. Don't care what anyone argues.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
I love how someone who has never lived in Ca can make the statement that schools in Torrance are of lesser quality. Less than what? Certainly not McKinney and Prosper. Maybe slightly less than Plano, but plenty getting into UC schools that are ranked higher than UT. Just sayin. But again you seem to have everything figured out.
I don't have to live in CA to know how to read. You see, there's this section on realtor.com for each house listing called "Schools and Neighborhood."

North Texas schools in the areas being discussed all rank 9's or 10's by Great Schools.

Torrance CA, is lucky to get 6's.

And again, you seem to be able to figure nothing out.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Roughly double and my part of California has some of the highest rates in the country...

I pay about $27 per 1,000 square feet and you about $54 per 1000, square feet.

I did fill up my gas tank this week and paid $2.59 a gallon and was actually happy about it... I imagine you guys are under $2?
It's not that cut and dried. I paid lower rates in my last home because most areas in the metroplex are deregulated and you can choose your energy servicer. However, the development I'm in now is serviced by CoServ only... and their rates are quite a bit higher than what I was able to get previously. But still, for a home this size, with a pool running 8 hours a day, $300 isn't expensive to me.

Not sure if gas is under $2, maybe for 87. Premium is $2.50 here.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I don't have to live in CA to know how to read. You see, there's this section on realtor.com for each house listing called "Schools and Neighborhood."

North Texas schools in the areas being discussed all rank 9's or 10's by Great Schools.

Torrance CA, is lucky to get 6's.

And again, you seem to be able to figure nothing out.
Not that I would go by Great Schools, but since you brought it up. Torrance high schools are rated an 8, while McKinney Boyd is an 8 and McKinney HS is a 7. Both have similar ACT scores. Yeah, you're right I can figure nothing out. I guess you know how to read, but have a lack of comprehension. Sorry, don't waste my time on realtor, Redfin is much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or