U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 12:22 AM

477 posts, read 313,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
I don't really think the tax situation is making people flee. It's also not as simple as saying $100k is in a 9.3% tax rate either. The effective tax rate is closer to 6%, and there are also,any more variables that go into the taxes as well such as the deductibility of state income tax on federal returns. I'm not here to argue that Ca is not a greater tax burden but there are many other factors that can tend to decrease the COL Gap. So really that person's post is really not a complete joke.
As I mentioned earlier in my post, it is almost certainly not the tax situation that is driving the relocation of CA residents to TX. That's because the local tax burden is not that big a percentage of a families expenses. The median local tax burden is higher in CA (it's a fact), but it's a small contributor financially. However, the overall COL (mostly driven by property values) is a significant factor and that gap is not really closing.

The primary factor though has not been discussed much here and that is career opportunities. If a Toyota employee can obtain an equivalent position in the Torrance area, then why would they uproot their family? The problem is that a significant percentage will have difficulty doing so.

In the aggregate, it is the economic opportunities available in North Texas that is driving the incoming population boom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 12:28 AM

477 posts, read 313,028 times
Quote:
And enjoy sitting in that large house come Jan/February when the ice storm hits or there is 35 degree and below weather.
My house is about 1/3 the size of McKinneyOwner's, but I would imagine his house is quite comfortable when it is 35 outside. I know mine is.

I assure you that the primary driver of higher utility costs in DFW vs Torrance/LA is not the occassional cold snap.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:53 AM

6,268 posts, read 12,179,869 times
Quote:
Not that I would go by Great Schools, but since you brought it up. Torrance high schools are rated an 8, while McKinney Boyd is an 8 and McKinney HS is a 7. Both have similar ACT scores. Yeah, you're right I can figure nothing out. I guess you know how to read, but have a lack of comprehension. Sorry, don't waste my time on realtor, Redfin is much better.
One can always count on you being wrong, your consistency is amazing.

As usual, in order to make California look better, you give an example that isn't even what we were talking about. Nice try. You can neither read nor do you have reading comprehension apparently.

Here's listings for Torrance CA, all zip codes, with the stated budget I used of $500-550k.

27 properties show up.

Here's the first one:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...98-78248?row=1

A middle school ranked a 3 and high schools ranked at 5. For those with only rudimentary math skills those are both much less than 8.

Another:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...63-76630?row=4

Ah look! It's schools are ranked 8! Maybe TR95 DOES know something... Oh wait. No. Because if you want good schools, your $520k budget is buying you a 858 sqft home with a lot size of 5000 sq ft. Basically, 1/4 the size of the home you can get in TX with comparable schools on the same budget.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:06 AM

23,636 posts, read 31,299,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
How much do you spend for gas and electric for your 3 x 2400 sqft. home of 7,200?

For the record... I did not realize a Texas home is 7200 square feet.

The folks I know living in Texas must be strapped... the largest home is half that...

Could it be Texans tend to need larger homes due to weather extremes and more time spent inside?
My house is less than 2k sq ft; works just fine for the two of us. The previous owners raised two kids here.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
My house is about 1/3 the size of McKinneyOwner's, but I would imagine his house is quite comfortable when it is 35 outside. I know mine is.

I assure you that the primary driver of higher utility costs in DFW vs Torrance/LA is not the occassional cold snap.

And my bills are less in the winter too. Gas heating is cheaper than electric cooling.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:44 AM

3,468 posts, read 6,839,859 times
I've never ever met anyone from CA who said they're moving to Texas due to taxes, myself included. COL and job opertunity was the only reason we came. if the same opertunity in CA was presented to us back in 07, we would have never left. I would say less than 10% of all my friends and family would have made the move back in '07, now that the economy has changed in the last 4 to 6yrs no way they're leaving.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:06 AM

732 posts, read 502,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
One can always count on you being wrong, your consistency is amazing.

As usual, in order to make California look better, you give an example that isn't even what we were talking about. Nice try. You can neither read nor do you have reading comprehension apparently.

Here's listings for Torrance CA, all zip codes, with the stated budget I used of $500-550k.

27 properties show up.

Here's the first one:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...98-78248?row=1

A middle school ranked a 3 and high schools ranked at 5. For those with only rudimentary math skills those are both much less than 8.

Another:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...63-76630?row=4

Ah look! It's schools are ranked 8! Maybe TR95 DOES know something... Oh wait. No. Because if you want good schools, your $520k budget is buying you a 858 sqft home with a lot size of 5000 sq ft. Basically, 1/4 the size of the home you can get in TX with comparable schools on the same budget.
This post is about as sharp as a marble. Why pick a house in the LA Unified School District? That would be like picking a house in DISD. There are 4 high schools in Torrance. The city that you brought up, not me. West (9 rating, 1649 SAT, 26 ACT), South (9 rating, 1664 SAT, 25 ACT), North (8, 1533 SAT, 24 ACT), and Torrance HS (8 rating, 1521 SAT, 23 ACT). I never confined any post to a $500k budget. I never said CA housing is not more expensive. I said it is not as simple as saying someone is in a 9.3% tax rate and that is why they are "fleeing." Do you even know what "fleeing" means?

So there you go. All Torrance high schools are rates 8 or better. You just don't seem to get it. Oh yeah, I remember you posted a while back that someone could actually get from McKinney to downtown Dallas in 35 minutes in the middle of rush hour. Clearly you are as clueless as your first post on this thread that people are "fleeing" CA because of the tax situation. Still laughing...

Old 10-05-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah, I remember you posted a while back that someone could actually get from McKinney to downtown Dallas in 35 minutes in the middle of rush hour. Clearly you are as clueless as your first post on this thread that people are "fleeing" CA because of the tax situation. Still laughing...
Your memory is as faulty as your reasoning skills.

Frankly, I'm glad you moved to California. Doesn't seem like someone like you was able to hack it here.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:24 AM

5,979 posts, read 7,537,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
I've never ever met anyone from CA who said they're moving to Texas due to taxes, myself included. COL and job opertunity was the only reason we came. if the same opertunity in CA was presented to us back in 07, we would have never left. I would say less than 10% of all my friends and family would have made the move back in '07, now that the economy has changed in the last 4 to 6yrs no way they're leaving.
Jobs are here because of lower cost of doing business a large part of which is taxes. So you moved here because of lower taxes and didn't know it. Business thrives and goes where it is wanted not where it is viewed as an endless source of taxes.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:24 AM

732 posts, read 502,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
As I mentioned earlier in my post, it is almost certainly not the tax situation that is driving the relocation of CA residents to TX. That's because the local tax burden is not that big a percentage of a families expenses. The median local tax burden is higher in CA (it's a fact), but it's a small contributor financially. However, the overall COL (mostly driven by property values) is a significant factor and that gap is not really closing.

The primary factor though has not been discussed much here and that is career opportunities. If a Toyota employee can obtain an equivalent position in the Torrance area, then why would they uproot their family? The problem is that a significant percentage will have difficulty doing so.

In the aggregate, it is the economic opportunities available in North Texas that is driving the incoming population boom.
Agree with all your post, but it depends on how you look at the gap. For someone relocating that bought their home many years ago or even a few years ago it is certainly closing. Say someone paid $650k 3-4 years ago in SoCal and are now looking to buy a $400k house in Plano, if they can find one for that price. Those numbers imply a really close gap. The people that will want to relocate will be the ones that can't find work like you said and ones that have not bought a home or ones that want to cash out and live cheaper in Dallas.

I can't say for certain that a significant percentage will have difficulty finding another comparable job. Not sure what your definition of significant is, but I would think since the employees will have 2-3 years to find new employment that a significant percentage could find comparable employment. It might not be as short of a commute as they have now, but the economy in CA is not the same as it was in 2008-2012 and it is a large area, just as DFW is.

One poster on here seems to be hung up on Torrance. He doesn't realize that many people that work at Toyota don't live in Torrance. They live all over (Fullerton, Diamond Bar, Yorba Linda, Anaheim, Walnut, Palos Verdes, Redondo, Manhattan, Hermosa, etc, etc.). Same geographic diversity as the DFW area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or