U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 08:45 PM

57 posts, read 149,107 times
Sense of community. I'm sure there are different opinions on whether you're more likely to find that in a master plan w/ upwards of 3-4000 houses or a much smaller plat or custom development that's like a 2 hour chopper ride from work... I'm inclined to be in the same boat as you, but then again, I've never lived in anything that large. It's almost like a small town, I would guess, but made up of all homes? Any help out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 09:06 PM

4,135 posts, read 5,486,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishlandtoDFW View Post
Sense of community. I'm sure there are different opinions on whether you're more likely to find that in a master plan w/ upwards of 3-4000 houses or a much smaller plat or custom development that's like a 2 hour chopper ride from work... I'm inclined to be in the same boat as you, but then again, I've never lived in anything that large. It's almost like a small town, I would guess, but made up of all homes? Any help out there?
Not sure if you'd be interested at all, but have you considered Hackberry Creek in Las Colinas in Irving? Here is their website and Las Colinas's as well. On the Las Colinas site there are also a few other master-planned communities listed under the heading "Village Assoc. Info".

Hackberry Creek Home Owners Association

The Las Colinas Association

Old 02-01-2008, 09:27 AM

66 posts, read 166,058 times
hey y'all both might want to check into communities that offer a Mom's Club. they are a great resource for new friendships and help with the kids!

Old 02-01-2008, 09:54 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,809,892 times
You might want to look at Castle Hills as well Castle Hills - Custom Home Builders in Dallas, TX - Community of the Year. I think you would have better airport access (for DFW) from there than Lantana, since you can hop directly onto 121, and easier for Love Field due to the closer proximity to Dallas North Tollway.

Las Colinas is also pretty easy to get to from CH by taking George Bush Tollway (190).

Old 02-01-2008, 08:16 PM

Thanks Castle Hills looks really nice, but a bit out of our budget. It's looking like we're going to have to stay North & West to get what we want, if we're going to build and both my wife & I seem to be leaning that way although I would be perhaps more willing to consider a home that's a year or 2 old if we got a screaming deal.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:51 PM

5,244 posts, read 3,014,706 times
Yes, Castle Hills was a bit pricey for us too. Okay, we'd like to get some opinions on the better schools in the North Dallas area. Any opinions out there? We liked the way Paloma Creek community looks and it has a builder we like, but it will have a school opening up in the Fall of 2008. Our oldest will be in Kindergarten in the Fall, so obviously we have not done public school before. How do you all feel about having us go to a brand new school that obviously has not been rated? Thanks for everything!

Old 02-07-2008, 06:10 AM

Well, I've nearly completed the "business" part of this trip (seminars end tomorrow), and tomorrow, we're looking around for the 2nd time w/ our realtor. Any last minute advice for this time?

Thanks!

Old 02-07-2008, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,237 times
Default Drive Before You Buy

The estimated travel time on web map sites isn't worth a darn here in most cases.

We are presently living in The Colony a bit northeast of Castle Hills. It was taking my DH 45 minutes roughly to commute into Addison. He justed started a new position near the intersection of 75 and 635 and we are looking to move closer in to cut his drive time.

As to schools Plano, Frisco, and Lewisville are generally well thought of. From stats I've seen seems like most people send their children to private school if they live in the Dallas Independent School District if they can afford it - very low performing schools.

We are actually close in than Little Elm. We did check it out in the past since it seems that you can get a newer home for less money BUT there is a reason for that, tough commute unless you work in maybe North Plano.

Be prepared to get a toll tag for all you vehicles to save hassle...it seems like all that is being built here now is toll roads.

If I were in your shoes I would be tempted to rent in/near the community first. That is what we did with The Colony and now we are moving closer in.

One area that you didn't mention and might suit you is Cedar Hill south of Dallas. It is a haul from there to Las Colinas, but once you start heading west/east you should be traveling against the flow of most traffic which will be inbound/outbound from Dallas.

More convenient for flying would be Flower Mound. Almost all newer construction homes and basically a straight shot into DFW/Las Colinas. The executive I worked for in Las Colinas a few years back lived there in a very nice neighborhood.

Happy hunting!

Old 02-07-2008, 01:00 PM

5,244 posts, read 3,014,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishlandtoDFW View Post
Well, I've nearly completed the "business" part of this trip (seminars end tomorrow), and tomorrow, we're looking around for the 2nd time w/ our realtor. Any last minute advice for this time?

Thanks!
Cool, I was wondering if you made it to Dallas or not. Please keep us posted on what you find, where, and how much? We went this past Saturday to a community in McKinney and were not too impressed but it was a very short day trip.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:30 AM

We went what seemed like all over North Fort Worth Friday afternoon & then checked out 2 additional communities that we had driven through on Saturday morning. At this point, we like the ammenities of the master planned communities but not the "sea of houses" that comes along with it. We're really leaning towards Chadwick Farms & Drees Custom Homes at this point although our realtor is doing some research on the expansion plans for the George Bush to see how long it will take it to make it down to the southern part of Grand Prairie, down by Joe Pool Lake. Right now the commute would be murder & it would be for a few years, but if/when the Bush comes down there, it would be 20-25 minutes according to our Realtor. Plus he says the Mansfield schools are pretty good.

If we were buying today though it would be in Chadwick Farms. Now I'm looking at what else is going to be developed around there to see what it will look like in 5, 10, 15 years to see if it's the right decision. The development is "only" 750 homes, which is a ton where I'm living now, but is tiny compared to say Sendara Ranch which will have like 10,000.

Hope this helps & any other thoughts would be great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas