Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2015, 05:23 PM

7 posts, read 8,927 times

Advertisements

so I'm trying to get my daughter into one of the Dallas Private school for elementary this year, but I didn't recognize that it would have been better to try and get in when it is an expansion year.

I'm looking at Greenhill, Hockaday, ESD and Lamplighter. We have a boy who will be trying to get in in two years, so it would be nice if it was integrated. I'm talking about Hockaday ...

Any tips? I guess when I applied for college it was outside interests and grades, but this is elementary school, I mean really what could they do. I guess I could say my kid doesn't eat glue? or something to that effect..

We do live in the Coppell school district, so the public schools are pretty good, but our elementary is no longer exemplary and I am worried about the implications down the line

I have read many helpful threads in here and figured this might help me and some others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 05:55 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,669,872 times
Coppell schools are some of the best in DFW. You do realize those north Dallas privates are going to be quite the drive, right?

Old 10-04-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Coppell schools are some of the best in DFW. You do realize those north Dallas privates are going to be quite the drive, right?

yeah my wife doesn't work and she is board with it, so i'm ok with it.

also I kinda like that they don't rank the kids that seems pretty good, plus I like the small classes etc.

Plus I wonder if my elementary school had dropped out of exemplary then as her class advances then does that start causing a domino effect.

Plus I went to private school as well and it worked out for me.

However I do agree that the fallback of Coppell schools are still pretty great school... Kinda like having Yale as a fallback from Harvard, well maybe Yale would be HP public schools, but still Coppell is pretty good.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:51 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,669,872 times
You may as well move out of Coppell. If you aren't going to use the schools, then there is absolutely no reason to pay those extremely high property taxes.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:17 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,173,081 times
"Exemplary" is no longer used as a public school ranking in Texas. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but all schools that were exemplary a few years ago are now simply "meets requirements."

Old 10-04-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
You may as well move out of Coppell. If you aren't going to use the schools, then there is absolutely no reason to pay those extremely high property taxes.

i love the location and my neighborhood, close to my work and close enough to do everything in dallas. I have a job that requires me to live relatively close and this enables all of those things, but yes certainly I would like to pay cheaper property taxes if possible.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:18 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,520,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
"Exemplary" is no longer used as a public school ranking in Texas. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but all schools that were exemplary a few years ago are now simply "meets requirements."
You are correct. The terms Exemplary, Recognized, etc, have not been used by TEA for the past several years. So it's hard to know what OP is talking about.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
You are correct. The terms Exemplary, Recognized, etc, have not been used by TEA for the past several years. So it's hard to know what OP is talking about.

well that's good info i wasn't actually aware of that. I hadn't done my research clearly in quite a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas