U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-06-2015, 04:56 PM
 
3 posts, read 4,605 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

We signed a contract with Grand Homes recently. The contract was executed on Sep 23rd. We realized we made a huge mistake. We went to the sales office and notified our sales person on Sep 26th that we want to cancel because we picked the wrong floor plan due to misleading information and we cannot secure down payment. On Sep 28th, we sent official cancellation notice to the VP and sales person explaining the situation and demand to have the remaining deposit refunded to us minus reasonable cost. Nothing has been started, no permit, no design; we have not yet agreed on a floor plan. We never heard from the VP. Our sales person yelled at us for sending an email directly to VP and he said "The VP will never talk to you". Sales said he will get back to us but he never did. We went over to the sales office again on Oct 4th and we were told Grand Homes will keep all 15K deposit and will not refund a penny to us. I asked the sales to send me an official release. Then, today, Oct 6th, I received an email from Grand saying that we fail to provide them color selections within 21 days of the date of the Agreement, so we are in default of the Agreement. Grand Homes has the right to terminate the Agreement and retain your Deposit and Upgrade Deposit as liquidated damages.

I feel like we are being tricked left and right during the whole process and it has truly been a nightmare. 15K is a whole year of saving for us! I know that we can only blame ourselves for rushing into a contract with a company that has notorious reputation. Iím just wondering if there is anyone who has been in the same situation. Did you ever get your money back? How? If we cannot get the money back, what official document do we need to prove that the contract has been terminated? Do we need an official release from Grand Home?

I really appreciate your advices! I will do another post later sharing the entire story and all the tricks we fell through, so that no one has to go through what I have been through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2015, 05:44 PM
 
170 posts, read 180,116 times
Reputation: 69
Grand is the worst company I ever saw. In my neighborhood, one builder almost sold all the lots in 2 phases and grand even didn't complete phase 1 and the one's that were sold mostly in phase 1 are inventory homes and some are still there. Because of grand, I came out of my apartment and was about to move in to another apartment, but luckily I stayed in the same apartment and later built the house with another builder. Grand has the habit of keeping that 15k and when you search in google you will find many reports for that deposit money.

Coming to your post, they said with in 21 days of contract signed date. I don't see it is 21 days from Sep 23rd till today. Also you sent the email on 28th. Also how did you notify the sales person on 26th. Is it by email or just walked in told them? In how many days, you need to notify them if you want to cancel the contract?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2015, 06:10 PM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
29,929 posts, read 34,535,636 times
Reputation: 35922
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestUser1 View Post
Grand is the worst company I ever saw.
My sentiments for the last 15 years.

OP you need an attorney. Seems like Grand makes more money off keeping deposits than they do selling houses. They play tough and want your money. You may need to play tough also. Be sure to document all your communication.

Spread the word to all your friends about your GRAND experience with Grand homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2015, 06:12 PM
 
7,283 posts, read 8,120,225 times
Reputation: 5375
Quote:
Originally Posted by itoen View Post
We signed a contract with Grand Homes recently. The contract was executed on Sep 23rd. We realized we made a huge mistake. We went to the sales office and notified our sales person on Sep 26th that we want to cancel because we picked the wrong floor plan due to misleading information and we cannot secure down payment. On Sep 28th, we sent official cancellation notice to the VP and sales person explaining the situation and demand to have the remaining deposit refunded to us minus reasonable cost. Nothing has been started, no permit, no design; we have not yet agreed on a floor plan. We never heard from the VP. Our sales person yelled at us for sending an email directly to VP and he said "The VP will never talk to you". Sales said he will get back to us but he never did. We went over to the sales office again on Oct 4th and we were told Grand Homes will keep all 15K deposit and will not refund a penny to us. I asked the sales to send me an official release. Then, today, Oct 6th, I received an email from Grand saying that we fail to provide them color selections within 21 days of the date of the Agreement, so we are in default of the Agreement. Grand Homes has the right to terminate the Agreement and retain your Deposit and Upgrade Deposit as liquidated damages.

I feel like we are being tricked left and right during the whole process and it has truly been a nightmare. 15K is a whole year of saving for us! I know that we can only blame ourselves for rushing into a contract with a company that has notorious reputation. Iím just wondering if there is anyone who has been in the same situation. Did you ever get your money back? How? If we cannot get the money back, what official document do we need to prove that the contract has been terminated? Do we need an official release from Grand Home?

I really appreciate your advices! I will do another post later sharing the entire story and all the tricks we fell through, so that no one has to go through what I have been through.

If the sales guy was torqued that you contacted a VP ask him what will happen when you contact Steven Brooks tomorrow or Thursday. I'm relatively confident I have his cell number and I have his email for certain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2015, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Dallas TX
14,298 posts, read 20,550,720 times
Reputation: 20166
Get a lawyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2015, 08:49 PM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
29,929 posts, read 34,535,636 times
Reputation: 35922
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Get a lawyer.
And file a complaint with the BBB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2015, 09:31 PM
 
3 posts, read 4,605 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestUser1 View Post
Grand is the worst company I ever saw. In my neighborhood, one builder almost sold all the lots in 2 phases and grand even didn't complete phase 1 and the one's that were sold mostly in phase 1 are inventory homes and some are still there. Because of grand, I came out of my apartment and was about to move in to another apartment, but luckily I stayed in the same apartment and later built the house with another builder. Grand has the habit of keeping that 15k and when you search in google you will find many reports for that deposit money.

Coming to your post, they said with in 21 days of contract signed date. I don't see it is 21 days from Sep 23rd till today. Also you sent the email on 28th. Also how did you notify the sales person on 26th. Is it by email or just walked in told them? In how many days, you need to notify them if you want to cancel the contract?
The contract doesn't spell out how many days we have to cancel the contract. I have asked many experienced agents. They all told me I should be able to back out within 3 days. (This is not written on the contract) I walked in the office and told the sales on 26th. He told me not to do anything until he talks with his boss until Monday. Later, I felt it wasn't right so I sent the official email on Monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2015, 09:45 PM
 
3 posts, read 4,605 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
If the sales guy was torqued that you contacted a VP ask him what will happen when you contact Steven Brooks tomorrow or Thursday. I'm relatively confident I have his cell number and I have his email for certain.
Do you really have his email? Can you send it to me? (itoengreen@gmail.com)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2015, 12:31 AM
 
71 posts, read 64,600 times
Reputation: 91
Is this the grand homes in Allen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2015, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,634 posts, read 53,495,108 times
Reputation: 18538
Sounds like you didn't have a buyer's agent. Next time, use one! You could have saved all this hassle, not worth whatever incentive they promised you.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-07-2015 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top