U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 11:52 PM
mm4

5,712 posts, read 2,968,505 times

Advertisements

I can't believe this Mid-Cities conversation. The Mid Cities is Grand Prairie and Arlington. Period.

Only by the farthest stretch of the imagination, maybe include HEB. Irving,...ok.

Southlake?! It's so far to the north, it might as well be on the other side of the moon. What is Southlake? That didn't even exist back when there was a Mid Cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 09:57 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,836,349 times
Quote:
Lewisville ISD, which is the ISD for Flower Mound, is overall kind of meh. But the actual Flower Mound schools are top-notch. But if you're just looking at Lewisville ISD as a whole, then the reports won't be too impressive.
Yes, look at the ratings for schools feeding to Flower Mound High School and Marcus High School.

Quote:
I can't believe this Mid-Cities conversation. The Mid Cities is Grand Prairie and Arlington. Period.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Cities

Wikipedia disagrees It really isn't that rare to hear the triangle between DFW Airport and between 35E and 35W referred to as mid cities too.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:01 AM
mm4

5,712 posts, read 2,968,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Cities

Wikipedia disagrees It really isn't that rare to hear the triangle between DFW Airport and between 35E and 35W referred to as mid cities too.
Wikipedia didn't even exist when there was a Mid Cities.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:11 AM

2,444 posts, read 1,743,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post

Only by the farthest stretch of the imagination, maybe include HEB. Irving,...ok.

Southlake?! It's so far to the north, it might as well be on the other side of the moon. What is Southlake? That didn't even exist back when there was a Mid Cities.
I've lived around here all of my life and the HEB area has always been referred to as the Mid Cities.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:31 AM

766 posts, read 1,306,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedsoul1 View Post
it appears that Coppell, Plano and Frisco schools are more stronger than Flower Mound
This is like comparing Bellevue HS to Redmond HS to Eastlake HS (in Sammamish). Plano is Bellevue - heavy Asian and international, Redmond is a nice ethnic mix (and 80% of the students have a parent at Microsoft), Eastlake is like Flower Mound - nicely detached. I think Frisco is like Issaquah - nice new developments, but the schools aren't as great as they should be on paper given the socio-economics of the students.

Your child will do well and have plenty of opportunities at any of these schools.

If you're moving to Dallas to have a lower cost of living, then I think Frisco is going to be your best bet.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:59 AM

11 posts, read 10,185 times
Thanks Carroll4628 for drawing parallels between Seattle and Dallas area schools. Did you relocate from Seattle area as well? The primary reason for our relocation is to ease the travel hassles by staying in a central location and to live in a place where schools are strong. I guess Dallas offers a lot to consider. Some of our friends are suggesting Houston as well and its another city on our list.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:09 PM

162 posts, read 133,358 times
My kid went to HighTower Elementary for a year and she loved it, great school, you can't go wrong with it. If you plan to rent many options available on Ohio drive.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:27 PM

162 posts, read 133,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedsoul1 View Post
Greetings,

We are a young family of 4 and currently live in Seattle. We are blessed with 2 awesome girls. First one is 5 years old and second one just turned one. My wife is doing more than a full time job by handling two kids at home. She works hard more than myself. I'm a consultant and travel every week. My job allows me to take transfer to any location in the country. It's getting difficult for all 4 of us as I travel every week and I spend most of my time in the flights and airports rather than with the family because Seattle is way up north and not a travel hub. Seattle is a great city with mountains, water and natural beauty is just within an hour. I cannot switch the jobs at this stage of my career. Hence, looking to relocate to some place that is easier on all 4 of us.

We are looking to initially rent the apartment and if we like the city we would like to settle down permanently. We like areas that are diverse and not dominated by a specific ethnic race. Our top priorities for choosing an apartment:
1. Schools
2. Diversity
3. Safety

Not sure if areas such as West plano, coppell etc. fits our needs but wanted to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

I would really appreciate if you could provide some honest feedback.

Thanks,
Confused soul
Your suggested neighborhoods are save, and offer diversity with great public schools, but forget about walking the kids on the streets, as nobody walks around here, no view (flat), no mountains, nor have great lakes compared to Seattle. If you travel a lot and want to save 15 minutes commute, stay close to airport, great communities but higher prices. If you don't mind commute, homes in Frisco, Allen, Plano offer great schools, about 40 minutes drive to airport and many Indian Supermarkets, but still diverse, though, some Plano schools seems to have larger concentration of Indians than others, which probably explains why some of these schools have higher academic achievements.

If you are looking at Plano schools, I suggest you to look at rental on Ohio Drive 75093 Zip, this feeds into great elementary schools (including High Tower).

Old 10-15-2015, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 851 times
I am planning to do the same move, from NJ to Dallas suburbs, for similar reasons, spouse travels weekly and I get health problems due the cold and I can work from home. Since to and fro to airport is only twice a week am not worried about a 1-hr ride. I am also looking for some Asian presence, which most suburbs with good schools has a lot of. I have these places down - Coppell, Flower mound, Colleyville, Plano, Frisco, McKinney, Murphy, Allen and now that is a lot of places to choose from. My budget is $400k and I am not looking only for new build and will be okay with 90s plus build, so lesser the better. I will be visiting Dallas for a week in November.

1. I want to find which of these places would be lesser chances for foundation issues? I am guessing colleyville, flower mound and west of coppell?
2. I know it is a hot market, but I see a few houses being on the market for 90 days plus. Is Oct-Mar slow season and do decent/non-problem houses come on market during Oct-Mar?
3. How would you rank area wise for me, given my budget and preferences?

Confused soul, Sorry to piggy back on your post, hope we both benefit from the suggestions.

Thanks Guys (and Gals too)

Old 10-15-2015, 12:32 PM

5,103 posts, read 3,811,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vee3 View Post
I am planning to do the same move, from NJ to Dallas suburbs, for similar reasons, spouse travels weekly and I get health problems due the cold and I can work from home. Since to and fro to airport is only twice a week am not worried about a 1-hr ride. I am also looking for some Asian presence, which most suburbs with good schools has a lot of. I have these places down - Coppell, Flower mound, Colleyville, Plano, Frisco, McKinney, Murphy, Allen and now that is a lot of places to choose from. My budget is $400k and I am not looking only for new build and will be okay with 90s plus build, so lesser the better. I will be visiting Dallas for a week in November.

1. I want to find which of these places would be lesser chances for foundation issues? I am guessing colleyville, flower mound and west of coppell?
2. I know it is a hot market, but I see a few houses being on the market for 90 days plus. Is Oct-Mar slow season and do decent/non-problem houses come on market during Oct-Mar?
3. How would you rank area wise for me, given my budget and preferences?

Confused soul, Sorry to piggy back on your post, hope we both benefit from the suggestions.

Thanks Guys (and Gals too)
You do understand that getting colds because of cold weather is a total myth. If thats the real reason for your move, understand that people in colder climates stay inside more during cold weather and staying inside exposes us to more dense bacteria, etc. However, we get as many colds here as you do because for 3-4 months we seek shelter from intense heat outside and we stay inside then. So, again, don't turn your whole family upside down over this wildly wrong assumption that your colds will improve. They will only change season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or