U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 09:06 AM

11 posts, read 10,152 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

We are a young family of 4 and currently live in Seattle. We are blessed with 2 awesome girls. First one is 5 years old and second one just turned one. My wife is doing more than a full time job by handling two kids at home. She works hard more than myself. I'm a consultant and travel every week. My job allows me to take transfer to any location in the country. It's getting difficult for all 4 of us as I travel every week and I spend most of my time in the flights and airports rather than with the family because Seattle is way up north and not a travel hub. Seattle is a great city with mountains, water and natural beauty is just within an hour. I cannot switch the jobs at this stage of my career. Hence, looking to relocate to some place that is easier on all 4 of us.

We are looking to initially rent the apartment and if we like the city we would like to settle down permanently. We like areas that are diverse and not dominated by a specific ethnic race. Our top priorities for choosing an apartment:
1. Schools
2. Diversity
3. Safety

Not sure if areas such as West plano, coppell etc. fits our needs but wanted to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

I would really appreciate if you could provide some honest feedback.

Thanks,
Confused soul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 09:16 AM

5 posts, read 3,959 times
Company I work for is relocating to Plano. I just bought a house in Coppell as it's already built out, schools are great and it's right by the airport. Not a tough decision at all for me.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:23 AM

5,085 posts, read 3,783,211 times
If air travel is a big part of your life then I suggest you live close to the airport. I suggest you focus on Coppell, North Euless, North Bedford, North Hurst. When I say north, I mean north of Hwy 183. Grapevine is also a wonderful choice with great schools... just a little less diverse.

A word "good schools." Most of the great school ratings (Southlake, Coppell, West Plano, Highland Park) are a result of the total package K-12. Housing is competitive and prices are high for those districts (called ISD's). You will not need schools beyond elementary for a very long time. So just focus on highly rated elementary schools and you will have a wider choice of places with a great commute.

That said: here are elementary schools close to the DFW airport that are Blue Ribbon/ consistently highly rated in not top districts

Las Colinas Elementary (diverse, very close to airport) in zip code 75063
Butler Elementary (diverse) in North Arlington zip 76012
Lakewood Elementary (diverse) in Euless 76039
Bedford Heights Elementary in Bedford
Shady Brook Elementary in Bedford

One more important thing: ALWAYS VERIFY WITH THE SCHOOL THAT THE PLACE YOU ARE CONSIDERING TO RENT IS SERVICED BY THAT ADDRESS. School zone attendance doesn't always follow addresses.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:49 AM

Thank you, both. WorldKlas - Can you clarify what you mean by "You will not need schools beyond elementary for a very long time"? Do you mean we don't need to worry about schools for the next 5 years?

Coppell and Southlake schools have strong ratings. Any suggestions on the apartments that we can look at in these areas?

Old 10-08-2015, 10:03 AM

9,511 posts, read 19,529,556 times
Southlake has zero apartments and is not very diverse at all.
What kind of budget do you have for the apartment?

Old 10-08-2015, 10:05 AM

We are paying $2100 currently in Seattle for a 2bed 2bath and a garage. So I can go up to $2100. And we are not looking to rent a house.

Reviews for apartments that feed to Coppell ISD are horrendous and Southlake TX has no apartments. Is West Plano too far to travel every week?

Wish life was easy!

Last edited by confusedsoul1; 10-08-2015 at 10:14 AM..

Old 10-08-2015, 10:35 AM

2,444 posts, read 1,734,258 times
You can also try Flower Mound - there are a few apartment complexes there (check out Archstone Lexington and Greystar's Lakeside). It's not quite as convenient to the airport, but it's not bad at all, and the area is very nice and the schools are quite good.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:53 AM

Thanks. Does anyone know if any apartments feed into highland park ISD?

Old 10-08-2015, 10:59 AM

6,947 posts, read 18,706,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedsoul1 View Post
Thanks. Does anyone know if any apartments feed into highland park ISD?
The Shelton Condos feed into Highland Park ISD, those are private but some come up for lease. Highland Park ISD is NOT diverse!!

You can find high quality elementary schools in the mid-cities. Children your age simply don't need you to worry about anything beyond elementary schools. I cannot stress strongly enough to focus on the school and not the district. Look up present and past individual school ratings on the state website.

http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/perfreport/account/

Old 10-08-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
The Shelton Condos feed into Highland Park ISD, those are private but some come up for lease. Highland Park ISD is NOT diverse!!

You can find high quality elementary schools in the mid-cities. Children your age simply don't need you to worry about anything beyond elementary schools.

Thanks. I'm not familiar with the DFW area. What mid-cities are you referring to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or