Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 09:27 AM
BCB BCB started this thread

1,005 posts, read 1,776,777 times

Advertisements

Is there a bakery around Dallas (within LBJ) which offers traditional bakery items?

I'm looking for things like Baklava, Babka, Kouign-amann, Hamentashen, Croissants, Cannoli etc.

I'm not looking for cookies, cupcakes, tarts, cake, brownies or the like.

Aside from The Village Baking Co. does Dallas have any other good bakeries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 11:01 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,562,024 times
I'm interested to see some responses. Bakeries are one thing Dallas is lacking in IMO.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:02 AM

990 posts, read 2,296,801 times
You mean traditional European?

Old 10-12-2015, 11:04 AM

990 posts, read 2,296,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
I'm interested to see some responses. Bakeries are one thing Dallas is lacking in IMO.
traditional european, maybe, but not contemporary, asian or panaderias. Probably has to do with our local immigrant population more than anything.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:52 PM
BCB BCB started this thread

1,005 posts, read 1,776,777 times
Nobody?

Old 10-13-2015, 08:07 PM

574 posts, read 1,474,381 times
I don't think you will find any one bakery that does all those things you look for. You might find cannolis at Jimmy's, croissants at Village Bakery, German sweets at Germandeli, baklava somewhere else. Bakeries like you find in other major cities don't seem very popular here.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:18 PM

718 posts, read 1,384,780 times
One of the few place I know that has a few European pastries among cupcakes is Millstone bakery in Plano , it is owned by a Belgium couple. They have fantastic croissants and brioches.
Central Market does have a very decent bakery and sometimes even has kouign amann.
You also have The Dutch deli Henk's . It has some nice selections of individual European pastries.
Tous Les Jours bakery inside the Asian HMart in Plano and Carollton. I never tried it , but I know many Europeans that go there often.
You have also Natalie in Plano.
The metroplex is extremely poor in decent European style bakeries. I cannot understand why since it has the clientele.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mami2emily View Post
I don't think you will find any one bakery that does all those things you look for. You might find cannolis at Jimmy's, croissants at Village Bakery, German sweets at Germandeli, baklava somewhere else. Bakeries like you find in other major cities don't seem very popular here.
I disagree , there is the population for it, but most investors seem to think that cupcakes and crapy sugary treats are a shoe in to succeed. Look at The Village Backing Co is doing great business, they just opened a second location.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:47 PM

574 posts, read 1,474,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souleiado View Post
I disagree , there is the population for it, but most investors seem to think that cupcakes and crapy sugary treats are a shoe in to succeed. Look at The Village Backing Co is doing great business, they just opened a second location.
Yes Village Baking is doing great business, but they are not the type of bakery that offers the wide variety of baked goods that OP is looking for. They do French pastries and breads...that's it. Like I said in my post, there are bakeries where you will find the items on OP's list, but not all of them at any ONE bakery. The last place I saw a bakery like the one OP seems to be referring to, one that offers almost everything under the baked goods sun, was in NYC. That is the type of bakery I was referring to when I talked about it not being very popular here.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mami2emily View Post
Yes Village Baking is doing great business, but they are not the type of bakery that offers the wide variety of baked goods that OP is looking for. They do French pastries and breads...that's it. Like I said in my post, there are bakeries where you will find the items on OP's list, but not all of them at any ONE bakery. The last place I saw a bakery like the one OP seems to be referring to, one that offers almost everything under the baked goods sun, was in NYC. That is the type of bakery I was referring to when I talked about it not being very popular here.
The OP is looking for different cultural bakery items. I would never expect to find them at the same place , even in NY, you had to look in differents place to find the good ones. I don't think that is what the OP wanted. He wanted a list of different places which Dallas is unfortunately missing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas