U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 09:22 AM

23,636 posts, read 31,299,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
What is a tiger mom?
Urban Dictionary: Tiger Mother

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...e_Tiger_Mother

Amy Chua - The Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 02:10 PM

4,056 posts, read 4,453,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter5457 View Post
CT has the perception of having great schools because most of their schools are suburban lilly white with very little racial or economic diversity if that is what you meant. And yes they are very good safe schools with fewer disruptive kids on average.

But they also dont have asians or tiger moms except the author who lives in CT. And of course plano is very asian and tons of tiger moms. So, while CT schools in general may be far better than TX schools Plano schools will have far more competitive students than the top Ct schools. Yes, even more than greenwich, darien, or westport. So be careful what you wish for.

That's only because the number of overall students. When you have 1200 kids per class, it makes total sense. In CT, they're not in the habit of building high schools that look like taj mahals. It's too expensive. Plenty of tiger moms and CT, too.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:52 PM

233 posts, read 222,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
That's only because the number of overall students. When you have 1200 kids per class, it makes total sense. In CT, they're not in the habit of building high schools that look like taj mahals. It's too expensive. Plenty of tiger moms and CT, too.
Size doesn't make or break schools, with state mandated class size for all, school size is just a parental preference. There are excellent large schools and terrible small schools and vice versa.

It doesn't make sense to compare whole TX with whole CT, both states have their share of excellent, good,fair, borderline and below standard districts. Unless you are comparing specific districts, you are comparing apples and oranges.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:24 PM

183 posts, read 130,722 times
Quote:

Is this shanghai HS orchestra? No, try Plano Jasper HS orchestra. These little chinese Jr Varsity Band kids kicked all the varsity orchestras butts, where do they even find time to study? LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsst4Y2cWDg

Probably could be Houston Clements HS or Irvine, CA HS, or maybe Demarest,NJ HS or NYC Stuyvesant or Bronx science or so many other top schools that have high % of asian students.

But CT top public schools are like higland park or south lake. Their asian population is very small. Just a simple point i was making.

CT top private schools on the other hand are internationally renowned and have plenty of competitive students from all over the world, along w their helicopter tiger moms too.

Last edited by Peter5457; 10-13-2015 at 05:42 PM..

Old 10-13-2015, 06:46 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,537,941 times
Wow very impressive orchestra especially of nineth and tenth grades. Wow!

Old 10-13-2015, 08:25 PM

19 posts, read 14,983 times
Thank you all for your valuable inputs. Interesting to hear about "Tiger Mom"

CT asian population is not huge and we have a very mixed community. From my experience so far, I have not felt that CT schools are very competitive like TX. Honestly we prefer to live in mixed community not specifically Indian.

I get that you guys suggest Plano / Richardson in my case. I am just curious about Allen, it has been rated one of the safest and has good schools. If 300K would not work in Plano, will it work out in Allen (new or old homes)?

Old 10-13-2015, 08:34 PM

233 posts, read 222,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyFromCT View Post

CT asian population is not huge and we have a very mixed community. From my experience so far, I have not felt that CT schools are very competitive like TX. Honestly we prefer to live in mixed community not specifically Indian.

I get that you guys suggest Plano / Richardson in my case. I am just curious about Allen, it has been rated one of the safest and has good schools. If 300K would not work in Plano, will it work out in Allen (new or old homes)?
Allen is okay but not among top performing. I think $300K could get something nice in Plano East. Browse area closer to Plano East Senior High. You'll be pleasantly surprised. Murphy and NE Richardson's Plano ISD area would be equally nice.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:02 PM

4,056 posts, read 4,453,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyFromCT View Post

If you are coming from Rocky Hill, CT and comparing it to Plano, that would make total sense. The northern suburbs of DFW are some of the best districts in Texas. The biggest difference I have found in TX is that many of best schools are also the most diverse. In CT, it's quite the opposite.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:37 PM

183 posts, read 130,722 times
Quote:
If you are coming from Rocky Hill, CT and comparing it to Plano, that would make total sense. The northern suburbs of DFW are some of the best districts in Texas. The biggest difference I have found in TX is that many of best schools are also the most diverse. In CT, it's quite the opposite.
If you are moving from rocky hill, allen schools will be fine. Most CT schools are pretty good but for some reason rocky hill just cant get their schools right. Strange for a small middle class white suburban town in the middle of ct to have such pathetic schools.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:06 AM

1,166 posts, read 2,010,438 times
We moved to Prosper from Greenwich,CT a few years ago.We love living in Collin County and have been very happy in Prosper.I work in Plano ,so Prosper was an easy choice.Moving here from Greenwich was an easy transition for us.When we were initially house hunting we new that in order for us to have an easy transition,we needed to feel at home with where we purchased.We bought our house with the hopes we would be in it for the long haul if living in the DFW area worked out,which it has.Our wants moving from CT were somewhat somewhat specific,but important to us...

-We knew we wanted to be on a large lot in a town with mostly large lots
-We did not want to purchase a house with a "back alley way" garage
-We knew we wanted to live in an area with low crime and a good buffer zone.We wanted to not only live in a low crime area,but be surrounded by other low crime areas.
-Schools were very important.We have been thrilled with Prosper ISD as far as elementary school goes.When the time comes for high school (very far in the future) we will then decide if we want to have our children attend Prosper high school or go private
-We did not want to live in a mega city.Our goal was to find a town/city that would remain under about 70,000 people at build out

Alrhough the only areas we ever seriously considered were Southlake,Prosper,Flower Mound and Colleyville,there are many towns and cities in DFW that I personally like.Prosper made the most sense for us but I really like...

- Rockwall
- Murphy
- Parker
- Fairview
- Colleyville
- Southlake
- Flower Mound
- Argyle
- Westlake
- Highland Village
- Heath
- Parts of McKinney

Last edited by CREW747; 10-14-2015 at 08:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or