U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 01:00 PM

530 posts, read 377,031 times

Advertisements

I think the point for locals here is that if a child does private Kindergarten having started at age 4 on Sept 1, the following year she could test to enter grade 1 in a public school being only age 5 on Sept 1 of that year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 01:07 PM

233 posts, read 221,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
I think the point for locals here is that if a child does private Kindergarten having started at age 4 on Sept 1, the following year she could test to enter grade 1 in a public school being only age 5 on Sept 1 of that year.
No. Even if child was born in December, if he finished KG and grade one in a private school and can pass the test then he is eligible for second grade.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:33 PM

530 posts, read 377,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasG View Post
No. Even if child was born in December, if he finished KG and grade one in a private school and can pass the test then he is eligible for second grade.
I think we are saying the same thing. If a child is trying to skip Kindergarten and is born in December he would be 5 on Sept 1 of the desired entry year to grade 1.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:47 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,797,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post

Yes, that is correct. In fact, he could take a swing at the test even without any previous formal education. Good luck with that, though.

Looping back to the OP, for the handful of kids trying to do that, the testing is conducted during the summer, so the kids can get a yes/no verdict (usually "no") before school starts.

Quote:
I could be wrong, but once the kid has completed 1st grade or beyond in an accredited private school, the public system will place the student in the following grade without additional testing required.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:08 PM

233 posts, read 221,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Yes, that is correct. In fact, he could take a swing at the test even without any previous formal education. Good luck with that, though.

Looping back to the OP, for the handful of kids trying to do that, the testing is conducted during the summer, so the kids can get a yes/no verdict (usually "no") before school starts.

I could be wrong, but once the kid has completed 1st grade or beyond in an accredited private school, the public system will place the student in the following grade without additional testing required.
You are right. They do test students coming from foreign schools but not the ones coming from other districts.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:20 PM

718 posts, read 1,095,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You cannot start him early in public school. You can start him early in private schools and after 1st grade, transition him to public.
Most private schools around also refuse the early registration and apply the same rule as public school.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:12 PM

6 posts, read 2,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
As far as I can tell, the OP is NOT trying to get his kid started in kindergarten early. If you look at the kid's age, he/she would qualify for public kindergarten as-is.

I'm going to guess that the OP's kid started and finished kindergarten last year in Canada, where presumably the cutoff is the end of the calendar year, as it is in several US states. So the "redshirt" debate is slightly misplaced, as it appears that ship has already sailed.

----

Perhaps the OP will come back and clarify, but I'm imagining the scenario as follows:

2014-2015: OP's kid goes to kindergarten in Canada, and completes the year.
August 2015: OP's kid goes to 1st grade in Canada, and begins the year.
October 2015: OP moves to Texas. OP's kid goes to school, expecting to pick up where he left off, in 1st grade. Instead, he is told to grab the crayons and repeat his kindergarten experience.

There would be no reason for the OP to think that there would be a problem with the move. Yet there is.
---

If this is indeed the case, the OP is in a tight spot.
You got it correct. My son was already half way through senior KG when we moved in January. If he stayed back, he would be in 1st grade this snow school yearyear.

I'm not opposed to having him do his KG again, but when his homework constitutes writing his name 10 times, it's concerning. He took the iSTATION test and the computer ranked him being equivalent to a student in 3rd grade. All I really wanted was for him to join grade 1.i understand the age gap which can and might be bad in later years, but I don't him to loose focus academically. He's already disheartened on why he has to write his name 10 when he can write a 10 line synopsis on a book he read. According to me, the age gap would be more like 16 months.. Not 2 years

Similarly, in school, his teacher suppresses his eagerness to correct kids who misspell words or those who get math problems wrong. I'm looking for him to be mentally stimulated.
We were hoping the gifted and talented program will help with that, but it doesn't.

We've talked to the principal of the school and have to wait till she can get a game plan together for next week. If the outcome is not favourable, the only option would be a charter scool (whose wait list can run for a couple of years) or private school for one year and then move him back.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
You are right. They do test students coming from foreign schools but not the ones coming from other districts.
Don't think think that's true. That's what the principle told us and we confirmed again on whether there would be a need for a test or not.. Answer was no.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:16 PM

Oh and my son will turn 6 in December. So he was technically 5 at the start of the school year.
In Canada, it's based on calendar year..and so he was the youngest in his class.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:02 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,313,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddykhool View Post
Don't think think that's true. That's what the principle told us and we confirmed again on whether there would be a need for a test or not.. Answer was no.
Not True- We did kg out of the country and went to first grade just fine. I was not going to do kg all over again. But we also had certificates that KG was completed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or