U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 08:45 AM

1,165 posts, read 2,006,005 times

Advertisements

Apparently there is MAJOR resistance from many Plano residents regarding this.Thoughts?

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/10/13/c...call-election/

Plano City Council approves Tomorrow Comprehensive Plan | | Dallas Morning News

Plano Tomorrow, TX - Official Website | Official Website
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 09:09 AM

3,815 posts, read 3,720,100 times
I hope 3/4 of the city council and mayor get recalled and we have a special election just for the LOLs of it.

Then I'd bet Toyota and all these other new companies see the city being run like a banana republic and high tail it away. I'd LOL even more at that.

I'm kidding of course. Because if that happened, I wouldn't be laughing, I'd be moving too.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:54 AM

233 posts, read 221,699 times
This is a solid plan, these projects made Plano top dog in the country. No one outside DFW, knew it's name, it was one of the suburbs of Dallas. Now, it is a booming city that attracts money and people. I'm still kicking myself for selling my house, should've kept it.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:36 AM

6,268 posts, read 12,146,523 times
It sounds like they want to do more "urban living" type areas. I don't see a problem with this, it'll be another "Shops at Legacy" type development that they are looking for. Considering how big Plano has become, doing more walkable, urban living type areas is fine.

Sounds to me like the people complaining don't have a good handle on what being a city entails... you can't have endless suburb after suburb sprawl.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:45 AM

1,165 posts, read 2,006,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
It sounds like they want to do more "urban living" type areas. I don't see a problem with this, it'll be another "Shops at Legacy" type development that they are looking for. Considering how big Plano has become, doing more walkable, urban living type areas is fine.

Sounds to me like the people complaining don't have a good handle on what being a city entails... you can't have endless suburb after suburb sprawl.
Agreed...I also think it is important that people remember cities like Plano,Mc Kinney and Frisco will be close to 300,000 people each at build out.HUGE cities with diverse housing stock...

Old 10-14-2015, 12:23 PM

3,536 posts, read 6,968,032 times
Good point. I was shocked to discover my mom's hometown of Aurora, Il is the 2nd largest city in Illinois. And only has about 200,000 people.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:39 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,802,888 times
Just a bunch of "Get off my lawn!!" types, who think they can force time to stand still. Uh, no.

The mayor is right - Change will come. You can plan for it, or you can ignore it.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:42 PM

344 posts, read 360,512 times
Maybe a bunch of 'Get off my lawn types'. But how do they address the overcrowding of schools (PISD does not back this plan)? Also what about traffic gridlock, water needs? Putting multiple apartments where one house used to be will definitely strain the system.

Why do all the folks with the new jobs in Plano have to live in Plano?

Old 10-14-2015, 02:15 PM

233 posts, read 221,699 times
One house on 1 acre pays less tax than 20 homes on that same acre. They'll have money to upgrade infrastructure.

All folks don't have to live in Plano but with crazy busy lives of today, they want to stay near work, home and schools. Even if they lived elsewhere, they'll be brining cars here so that wouldn't help traffic. Fancy condos near work would bring young professionals and older singles and couples too and they would pay tax but not uses schools.

Being small bedroom communities is just not possible anymore once you run out of new housing, unless you are a town like HP with multimillion properties,top schools, short commute to job hubs, central location and enough property tax to support small town philosophy.

Last edited by DallasG; 10-14-2015 at 02:23 PM..

Old 10-14-2015, 02:41 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,146,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasG View Post
One house on 1 acre pays less tax than 20 homes on that same acre. They'll have money to upgrade infrastructure.

All folks don't have to live in Plano but with crazy busy lives of today, they want to stay near work, home and schools. Even if they lived elsewhere, they'll be brining cars here so that wouldn't help traffic. Fancy condos near work would bring young professionals and older singles and couples too and they would pay tax but not uses schools.

Being small bedroom communities is just not possible anymore once you run out of new housing, unless you are a town like HP with multimillion properties,top schools, short commute to job hubs, central location and enough property tax to support small town philosophy.
Bingo.

Heh, I remember back in the day when Plano wanted to raise taxes to support widening all the major roads to 3 lanes. A lot of disgruntled homeowners didn't want that either, and if they'd had their way, Coit would still be a one lane road and Parker/Park just 2 lanes as well as Preston.

Can you imagine how much worse the traffic would be now if Plano hadn't expanded all the roads to 3 lanes to deal with the eventual traffic?

The success of areas like Shops at Legacy, Austin Ranch, and downtown Plano show that the urban living model is a very popular choice for a lot of people... and there simply isn't enough of it considering the size of Plano.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or