Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 05:39 PM

233 posts, read 302,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely.Kiki View Post
Yes, DallasG Sir,
I would be working full time the first year so I can establish resident status and get resident tuition rate. My only expenses are Hoas, taxes(2.6%? yikes!) and basic living. I have 1 year savings fund that will cover living expenses during my studies as I can't work and go full time.
The loan I may have to take is a student loan to pay for tuition and living costs towards the end of my studies, but it's only 1.5yr program and very affordable. UTD is looking very nice (easier to get into) right now.

I will definitely look closely at Plano.
I work in finance/sales/customer service, and I see a lot of jobs I can get all over Dallas/ Uptown/Plano, etc.
Thank you for your suggestion, DG
SMU is private but UTD's in state tuition is very reasonable so keep that in mind. You can pull it off without any loans if you stick to a budget. UTD is an up and coming school but admission stats are still within reach of any average student.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 06:03 PM

8,103 posts, read 8,284,205 times
One other thing. Dallas is a land-locked commerce city with a thriving economy. People move here for jobs. The climate is incredibly disagreeable for about 3 months each year, the land is geographically bland, the architecture mostly unremarkable, the terrain drab. Our towns have little character, merely burbs that have little differnces among them. Again, people move here for jobs and are rewarded with a fairly good standard of living. You have to drive hours to get to any interesting geography.

There is a reason why tourists go to our country's coastal regions. There is not much beauty natural beauty here.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:02 PM

30 posts, read 26,151 times
@DG
Oh, I like this idea! I see homes at and under 200k in Plano and N.Dallas near UTD.
That would be awesome if I could graduate with no loans...

@WK
Thank you for the forewarning, I am looking forward to visiting!

Old 10-17-2015, 08:38 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,159,652 times
While the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth might lack a lot of natural beauty, there's more to do here than merely make a decent living and live in a (relatively) cheap house. The museums are good, the classical-music and fine arts scene is quite strong, there's a good local music scene, the restaurants may not reach LA's level of choice and breadth but they're getting better all the time, and all the major sports are here, if you care about that.

There is outdoor stuff to do but it's going to pale in comparison next to, say, hitting the beach in the morning and skiing in the afternoon like you can theoretically do in LA (though, when I lived there, I don't think I met anyone who'd ever actually done that.)

Two things to remember, especially if you're coming from California: the summers here can be brutal in terms of the length of the hot season and the humidity and spring brings the threat of tornadoes and hail while you might see some ice/snow in the winter; and property taxes are higher. And, related to doing stuff outdoors, the weather for parts of the year is going to hamper you from enjoying what outdoor activities we do have.

But don't forget that being in the center of the country with two major airports means you can be in California, Utah or Florida (basically anywhere with better geography) in a fairly short amount of time. I think this gives DFW a leg up over your other possible choices, Raleigh and Charlotte (though the Carolinas can be quite beautiful in their own right).

Old 10-17-2015, 09:08 PM

63 posts, read 80,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely.Kiki View Post
(I’ll be posting the same inquiry for Raleigh/Charlotte, NC. Another relocation option).
First of all, you have made a great choice. I graduated from Cal state LA and I can tell most Californians like dallas ( maybe because of In n out or del taco lol ) If you decide to go for UTD, cityline area in Richardson would be best IMO. It is 75082, state farm and Raytheon have their major offices in cityline and many of Statefarm's 8000 employee are going to be in accounting and customer service domain. Also, cityline has a train station, many upscale restaurants and thousands of newly built urban living aparents.

Btw, We moved here last year from MN and we also considered Raleigh and Dallas that time, both cities offers great QOL and economy.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:43 PM

233 posts, read 302,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_Midwest View Post
First of all, you have made a great choice. I graduated from Cal state LA and I can tell most Californians like dallas ( maybe because of In n out or del taco lol ) If you decide to go for UTD, cityline area in Richardson would be best IMO. It is 75082, state farm and Raytheon have their major offices in cityline and many of Statefarm's 8000 employee are going to be in accounting and customer service domain. Also, cityline has a train station, many upscale restaurants and thousands of newly built urban living aparents.

Btw, We moved here last year from MN and we also considered Raleigh and Dallas that time, both cities offers great QOL and economy.
Solid advice.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:53 PM

30 posts, read 26,151 times
@ True
LOL, I don’t get those commercials. I’ve never skied and gone to the beach in the same day, and I don’t know of anyone who actually does that either!

For the well being of others- and my own sanity- I can only commit to one round trip, cross-town commute per day on the 405 or 101.

Tornadoes sound scary.

DFW sounds awesome! I have so many friends and family to visit, including a life dream of going to the Bahamas on holiday… Dallas is sounding better & better every day..

@PatM
In and Out fan- my hand goes up..!
Wow, another former CA resident? Congratulations on your move, that is quite the change in weather MN to TX.

I’m so glad you mentioned Richardson; I was going to ask ..*

Thank you, Sir!
Richardson is on the list..!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas