Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2015, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,528 times

Advertisements

Any experience or advice out there on finding a great neighborhood inside the city that is zoned to excellent public schools? We're thinking of moving to Dallas next year and I'd love to stay in the city if I can find the right neighborhood zoned to good public schools. I am hoping some pockets of opportunity exist so I don't have to live in Plano...we live in Washington DC now and it would be wonderful to ditch the commute. Our max budget is $750K and I've seen some really beautiful houses listed in Lakewood, Lake Highlands and M Streets. And I keep reading those are great neighborhoods if you are on the liberal side of things (which we are). Just seems like the public schools aren't that great with the exception of Lakewood elementary (rated 10, but seems to have terrible reviews from parents).

Thanks in advance for the advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 02:48 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,480,689 times
You really need to step into the schools and look around. I don't find reviews online to be a fair representation of day to day activities at schools.
In DISD, I would not hesitate with Lakewood, Stonewall, Lee, Lipscomb, Sanger, Rosemont, Withers. Sanger now goes to 8th grade which is a nice option - I was talking to our city councilman last night at an event and he sends his kids there (he's the only councilman with kids in public schools) and testifies to it being a well-kept secret.
I'm not quite as familiar with the Lake Highlands schools which are in RISD despite still being in the city of Dallas. I think White Rock and Merriman are the great elem schools.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:25 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,534,883 times
Lakewood or Stonewall

If your kids are bright they will be invited to test for Travis and that gets you through 8th. Our good friends have 2 children at Travis this year. They loved Stonewall but makes it easier on Mom to have both kids at the same school.

Incidentally, they were prepared to have the kids attend Long (middle). I can't speak from personal experience, since we are in the 'burbs- but she is really involved and thinks very highly of long's principal.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:11 PM

786 posts, read 1,222,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily1223 View Post
Any experience or advice out there on finding a great neighborhood inside the city that is zoned to excellent public schools? We're thinking of moving to Dallas next year and I'd love to stay in the city if I can find the right neighborhood zoned to good public schools. I am hoping some pockets of opportunity exist so I don't have to live in Plano...we live in Washington DC now and it would be wonderful to ditch the commute. Our max budget is $750K and I've seen some really beautiful houses listed in Lakewood, Lake Highlands and M Streets. And I keep reading those are great neighborhoods if you are on the liberal side of things (which we are). Just seems like the public schools aren't that great with the exception of Lakewood elementary (rated 10, but seems to have terrible reviews from parents).

Thanks in advance for the advice!!
Definitely stick with the Lakewood area. There is a lot of community support there for their secondary schools, Long and Woodrow. Folks over there have a more laissez-faire mentality - definitely a more liberal, 'european' social vibe.

Lake Highlands with RISD schools is going to be more conservative, and Withers (while improving) doesn't seem like the vibe you'd be looking for in terms of the surrounding neighborhoods. Additionally, middle & high options for Withers are atrocious, unless you get into one of the few prestigious magnets.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:19 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
I recommend Stonewall Jackson, though we've been here for a few months only. As a comparison point, our kid attended excellent private/parochial schools in the Northeast previously. We also like its attendance areas.

Mick

Old 10-19-2015, 10:32 AM

102 posts, read 184,731 times
You should also look at Hexter Elementary and some of the elementary schools in the Lake Highlands feeder pattern (White Rock Elementary and Lake Highlands Elementary).

How old are your children? It is much easier to find an excellent elementary in Dallas than an excellent Junior High/High School.

Private school admissions are currently in full swing. It may be worth your time to look at that as an option as well. Most applications are due in December.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:12 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,083 times
Quote:
How old are your children? It is much easier to find an excellent elementary in Dallas than an excellent Junior High/High School.
I think that is the key...you can find a good elementary, but the middle/high school options may not be something you are willing to consider

Old 10-21-2015, 04:51 PM

74 posts, read 86,566 times
The secondary schools in Lakewood are IB and Lee and Lipscomb are on the way to IB accreditation. I wouldn't worry about Long, their academic teams seem to be beating the pants off the private schools.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:13 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.abus View Post
I wouldn't worry about Long, their academic teams seem to be beating the pants off the private schools.
Then why can't Woodrow ever get one NMSF when the private schools have 10-30% of their graduating class named NMSF?? And has the IB pass rate improved? Last I checked, it was abysmal (IIRC, 25% pass rate compared to 80% pass rate nationally).

I'm not here to bash Lakewood schools but your inference that they are better than private schools is just ridiculous and not founded in any truth.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:11 PM

14 posts, read 21,720 times
My wife and I just bought a home in Little Forest Hills. If I were you, I'd look into Forest Hills, our neighbor. Your dollar will stretch a bit further, is 5 minutes walking to the lake, and IMO, the most beautiful neighborhood in Dallas. And it's walking distance to Sanger which is in the middle of the neighborhood. Everything that I understand about Sanger is that the parents are very involved, has a good dual language program, and has a lot of diversity due to the neighborhoods Sanger pulls from. Your kids will get an education from more than just the books. It seems like the parents really care about their children becoming well rounded young adults.

You'd be about 4 miles from the Greenville and Deep Ellum parts of Dallas (both great if you want some fantastic bars, restaurants). Forest Hills has some of the most beautiful trees in the city. The area has a very active running/cycling vibe. There is a ton of green space, and the DART (Dallas Light Rail) is 4 miles north, and is a fantastic resource if you don't want to drive.

Last edited by txstate17; 10-23-2015 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: add more context
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas