Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2015, 09:33 AM

233 posts, read 301,222 times

Advertisements

What are the pros and cons of doing last two years of high school from community college dual enrollment program to get a school diploma and associate degree at the same time. Keep in mind that student is not short on money and aiming for top 25 colleges. I'm just asking for academic purposes.

I know many who went that route through Richland and Collin but no one made it to elite colleges or medical schools. It seems to work for people who want to safe money, quickly finish undergrad through local state university and go into teaching type jobs, not aiming for professional degrees or good ranking colleges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 10:39 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,107,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasG View Post
What are the pros and cons of doing last two years of high school from community college dual enrollment program to get a school diploma and associate degree at the same time. Keep in mind that student is not short on money and aiming for top 25 colleges. I'm just asking for academic purposes.

I know many who went that route through Richland and Collin but no one made it to elite colleges or medical schools. It seems to work for people who want to safe money, quickly finish undergrad through local state university and go into teaching type jobs, not aiming for professional degrees or good ranking colleges.
IMO, it's pointless because 1) the credits won't transfer to a T25 type school and 2) the teaching quality & caliber of fellow students are far below DFW elite public/ private high school standards. As you said, it's a great option for someone who needs to quickly get an AA or bridge into BA/BS degree as quickly as possible so they can get into the workforce at age 18-20.

If you have a kid who is working quite a few grades ahead in one or two subjects, it's better to work with the high school to allow enrollment/credit at SMU or UTD. One kid in my HP class was a math genius and the district allowed him to take math classes at SMU after he taken both AP Calcs in 8th or 9th grade.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:05 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,895,705 times
Cons: Don't get the standard HS experience.
Pros: Don't have to suffer through the standard HS experience.

---

I don't think there are all that many kids that do this. Collin has no formal program to do so. Richland does, but it has a fairly small enrollment.

I disagree with TurtleCreek80 that it's pointless. Yes, it would be a poor choice for someone trying to get into a T25 school. That rules out, oh 2%-5% of the high school students. Also, getting to witness it up close, I'm now less convinced than some about the "magical powers" of the fellow students in places like HPISD and Plano ISD.

This would be a good option for the type of kid bound for UT-Arlington, UNT, TWU, etc., who is also "done" with the HS social drama and inflexible rules.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Cons: Don't get the standard HS experience.
Pros: Don't have to suffer through the standard HS experience.

---

I don't think there are all that many kids that do this. Collin has no formal program to do so. Richland does, but it has a fairly small enrollment.

I disagree with TurtleCreek80 that it's pointless. Yes, it would be a poor choice for someone trying to get into a T25 school. That rules out, oh 2%-5% of the high school students. Also, getting to witness it up close, I'm now less convinced than some about the "magical powers" of the fellow students in places like HPISD and Plano ISD.

This would be a good option for the type of kid bound for UT-Arlington, UNT, TWU, etc., who is also "done" with the HS social drama and inflexible rules.
I was responding to OP's specific situation where he has a kid who is aiming for T25 schools. I went to state school and took classes at Richland one summer. It was a great way to knock out a few lower level core credits, but the instruction quality was below than "regular" track classes at HPHS. And you can't even compare the student caliber/ ambition of HP (where 95-98% of graduates go on to traditional 4-year degrees, and probably 1/3 or more complete master's or PhD's) to Richland, which is full of non-traditional students who more often than not will stop at the Associate's degree if they even complete it. . It's apples and oranges.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:56 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,895,705 times
Hmm, I read it completely differently, but it's certainly not clear.

Is the OP saying the student is

1) not "short on money and aiming for top 25 colleges", or
2) "not short on money" and "aiming for top 25 colleges"???

This would be a good SAT question. And by good, I mean terrible.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Hmm, I read it completely differently, but it's certainly not clear.

Is the OP saying the student is

1) not "short on money and aiming for top 25 colleges", or
2) "not short on money" and "aiming for top 25 colleges"???

This would be a good SAT question. And by good, I mean terrible.
I read it as written, "not short on money" AND "aiming for top 25 colleges." You read it as if he wrote "not short on money" OR "aiming for top 25." Agree that it is somewhat confusing!

Hopefully OP will clarify!

Old 10-19-2015, 12:27 PM

233 posts, read 301,222 times
Turtle got it right. I dont have any intention to rob my kid of high school experience or kill his chances to get into a high ranking school. Even if state university gives him full credit, going as 3rd year transfer is no fun. As a high achiever in standardized testing, getting free tuition at UTD or UNT isn't even an issue for him though he is aiming much higher.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:26 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,443,176 times
Often high school counselors can be a huge help in guiding students to a college that would best fit their goals; many have great connections. I'm not sure you can get that thorough experience from a CC.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:41 PM

208 posts, read 333,744 times
A friend who investigated this told me this information recently. Once you exceed a certain number of credit hours at a state school, they start charging you out of state tuition. I don't remember why this is, but we were discussing AP vs Dual Credit and she brought that up as something she'd discovered going through the school search with her high school senior last year.

So, if you get a lot of credit hours and then end up not needing those for whatever degree plan you choose it can work against you financially.

This probably isn't the best explanation but something to look into if you're seriously considering the dual credit route.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:01 AM

19,493 posts, read 17,729,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuesday2 View Post
A friend who investigated this told me this information recently. Once you exceed a certain number of credit hours at a state school, they start charging you out of state tuition. I don't remember why this is, but we were discussing AP vs Dual Credit and she brought that up as something she'd discovered going through the school search with her high school senior last year.

So, if you get a lot of credit hours and then end up not needing those for whatever degree plan you choose it can work against you financially.

This probably isn't the best explanation but something to look into if you're seriously considering the dual credit route.
The state of Texas will not subsidize hours for any student after s/he is 30 hours beyond his/her degree plan.

It's relatively complex potentially.

http://registrar.tamu.edu/General/ExcessCredHr.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas