Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 05:51 PM

554 posts, read 1,196,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirportFan View Post
UTEP, and yea, it's a very hard school. I think even Texas Tech is a much easier school. UTEP is all about academics and work, which is why we have such a lousy football team. I bet even UT Austin is far easier. I probably would have done better at UT. UTEP is super hard. Professors are strict and very demanding.

UTEP Ranked in the Top Ten Nationally | The University of Texas at El Paso

As you can see, it's ranked top 10 nationally.
UT Dallas grad checking in. A little research would have shown you that the Washington Monthly's rankings are based off Social Mobility, Service and Research....NOT academic rigor.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:58 PM

554 posts, read 1,196,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirlatl View Post
Alrighty. I think we can all say the OP is a troll with this post.
No. Not a troll. Simply didn't do simple research.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:59 PM

200 posts, read 392,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy View Post
UT Dallas grad checking in. A little research would have shown you that the Washington Monthly's rankings are based off Social Mobility, Service and Research....NOT academic rigor.
Oh ok. I did not really look at that closely. I just read top 10 and I was assuming it was for academics. I just find UTEP hard in my opinion. Maybe for others it's easy.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:02 PM

497 posts, read 696,299 times
Quote:
No. Not a troll. Simply didn't do simple research.
check her other posts. I'm not the first person to call her a troll.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:24 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Going to an unaccredited school will NOT allow you to do an internship. Internships are required for doctorates. There are already too many applicants from accredited schools for the existing internship slots. Waste of time and money.

Don't know where your friends go that allow take-home exams but that is simply ridiculous in grad school in Psychology. You also have to take comps, which are not take-home, either. Then to practice Psychology, you have to pass a licensing exam, which is also not take-home.

I know b/c I have a doctorate in Clinical Psychology from a flagship state university and I have been licensed in 2 states.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Going to an unaccredited school will NOT allow you to do an internship. Internships are required for doctorates. There are already too many applicants from accredited schools for the existing internship slots. Waste of time and money.

Don't know where your friends go that allow take-home exams but that is simply ridiculous in grad school in Psychology. You also have to take comps, which are not take-home, either. Then to practice Psychology, you have to pass a licensing exam, which is also not take-home.

I know b/c I have a doctorate in Clinical Psychology from a flagship state university and I have been licensed in 2 states.
So an unaccredited Masters won't allow me to do internships? And I looked at some syllabi and I saw that not all, but most of the classes had take home exams. However, I have heard that they are not multiple choice and that you won't find the answer in a book or on the internet. I heard that for those exams, you have to really think. Is this really true? How is the end of the program comps like? Is it like GRE style or harder?

Old 10-22-2015, 06:19 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Never had a take-home exam so can't answer. Comps are essay type questions and take abouy 3 hrs each. You have to take about 6 of them over a period of several days and people routinely fail one or more.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-22-2015 at 04:21 PM..

Old 10-22-2015, 07:18 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirportFan View Post
UTEP, and yea, it's a very hard school. I think even Texas Tech is a much easier school. UTEP is all about academics and work, which is why we have such a lousy football team. I bet even UT Austin is far easier. I probably would have done better at UT. UTEP is super hard. Professors are strict and very demanding.

UTEP Ranked in the Top Ten Nationally | The University of Texas at El Paso

As you can see, it's ranked top 10 nationally.
LOL

Quote:
Amen.

UT Austin grad checking in...I'd bet my degree that both UT Dallas and UT Austin are far more challenging and competitive academic environments than UTEP. It's not even close.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:01 PM

216 posts, read 343,951 times
As a parent of a child that needs to see a psych/counselor - I'm really glad that the rigor is what it is. I had the very unfortunate experience of taking her to someone who (my guess) felt about the same way you do. And I now pay a lot out of pocket to another to ensure I don't get someone like that again. I don't usually post 'disparaging' things on here - but I'm kinda offended that you feel like you deserve to get into a grad program. As I am sure many on here feel the same. Work your butt off and maybe find a little humility. The world does NOT owe you anything and if you want it - you gotta work for it.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
LOL

Amen.

UT Austin grad checking in...I'd bet my degree that both UT Dallas and UT Austin are far more challenging and competitive academic environments than UTEP. It's not even close.
I've been told before that if I can't do the work at UTEP, I'll flunk out right away at another university. Now I question if this is actually true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas