Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 01:24 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard88 View Post
wait... which other place would waive this ? Even Costco, which is just getting bids from dealership, would charge the inventory tax ?
Or when we bargain, we need to be upfront with them and see if they would charge that 2% ? Thanks !
Personally, I would wait until the very end before bringing that up or else it's likely they will try and work it back in somewhere else.

When I bought my last car, I struck it out after they printed the paperwork to sign and then printed an updated set. I don't know about Costco as I've never purchased from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 02:00 PM

283 posts, read 404,353 times
So you just struck it out and if they don't comply, we will threaten to walk away strategy ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
Personally, I would wait until the very end before bringing that up or else it's likely they will try and work it back in somewhere else.

When I bought my last car, I struck it out after they printed the paperwork to sign and then printed an updated set. I don't know about Costco as I've never purchased from them.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:17 AM

559 posts, read 936,585 times
Best time to buy a new car is 2 to 4 months from when manufacturer releases their new models. During that period manufacturer increases their incentive on previous models to clear the old inventory. If you have missed the boat for a particular model then try to go and buy a new car during last 4 days of the month. Lot of mid-range models do get new models every years with minor or almost unnoticeable difference from this year to next year's models.

Dealers need to meet certain sales number every month for a better manufacturer's incentives and they tend to lower their profit if they haven't meet their numbers.

Some does and don't when buying a new car for a specific model you have already decided:

Do:
1. Buy ConsumerReports special subscription where they disclose invoice and other incentives dealers get upfront, so you get the base price understanding for the car.

2. Check Edmunds Car Forum where lot of buyers for a specific make / model discuss about how much they paid in REAL and which configuration they got in their vehicle. When I was in market to buy my new car 2 years ago, I literally read almost 300 responses for a particular model I was interested in and found a rock bottom price I could get. It took me 2 weeks and a trip to all dealers in DFW but got the price I wanted to pay (paid 2K less than what most of other DFW dealers were willing to sell their car for at that time)

3. Make sure you know the invoice of the vehicle before you go to dealership.

4. Check TrueCar. Aim to pay around LOWEST paid for the make/model in your area.

Don't:

1. Don't take a word of salesman at dealership. BUNCH OF LIERS. (Yes, I mean it. You may find exceptions but majority of sales people try to sell you at the highest price and work for their own interest not yours) I can give you numerous my own personal experience

2. Costco's price is an average price. Don't think you are getting the cheapest price for the make/model.

3. Never pay above invoice price on Toyota. Dealers try to put lot of add-ons and try to sell the car at a lot higher price. Avoid doing that unless those add-ons really mean some value to you.

4. Avoid going to dealership during rush weekends. They won't be ready to negotiate.

5. You can try to do internet negotiation, but don't do it for a general make/model. Look at their inventory online, and bid for only a specific car available from their inventory. So you know exactly what you are bidding for online.

I don't think Black Friday would be a good time to get the best price as I had always avoid major traffic time at the dealership, so my price on the table is heard by the manager instead of waiting in line to be heard by the sales person.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:14 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,129 times
Decide what you are willing to pay for a model based on realistic numbers from Edmunds True Market Value and TrueCar. Find somewhere that will meet that price. Enjoy your car and move on with life.

Buying a car isn't hard.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:18 PM

Thanks for the response ! Dallas_Cowboys ... those are good pointers ! Should I do trade-in with my 150k miles Toyota Corolla, or don't bother ?

Old 11-14-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the response ! Dallas_Cowboys ... those are good pointers ! Should I do trade-in with my 150k miles Toyota Corolla, or don't bother ?
NO. Don't trade-in your vehicle.

Dealers will try to sell you a new car at a higher price but will show you that you are getting an awesome trade-in price for your vehicle. That's why dealers always ask 1st about whether you have any vehicle to trade-in so they know where they can make money.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:38 PM

Dallas_cowboy :
I know ... besides my old car likely won't worth much to trade-in for and it complicates my car buying. I would either go to Carmax for my old car to sell to or just keep it for running short distance.
I sign up the Truecar.com and got the lowest estimate price from Toyota of Plan0 among the others dealers, the second step is to choose two or three dealers in the emails and ask if they give me that price (lowest truecar). Probably towards the end of Nov, they would get more anxious to give lower price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_cowboy View Post
NO. Don't trade-in your vehicle.

Dealers will try to sell you a new car at a higher price but will show you that you are getting an awesome trade-in price for your vehicle. That's why dealers always ask 1st about whether you have any vehicle to trade-in so they know where they can make money.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Dallas_cowboy :
I know ... besides my old car likely won't worth much to trade-in for and it complicates my car buying. I would either go to Carmax for my old car to sell to or just keep it for running short distance.
I sign up the Truecar.com and got the lowest estimate price from Toyota of Plan0 among the others dealers, the second step is to choose two or three dealers in the emails and ask if they give me that price (lowest truecar). Probably towards the end of Nov, they would get more anxious to give lower price.
True about your trade-in point.

You are on a right track..... Based on my car buying experience in DFW, I would recommend avoid AutoNation (Toyota and Nissan I have experienced) chains. Their margins are lot higher and I was always getting their quotes on a higher end compare to all other dealers in DFW.

Did you also check on Edmunds forum to find out what REAL buyers paid for the vehicle you are interested in?

My most recent purchase was towards the month end and 2 months after new model came out with only in-dash firmware upgraded from previous models. Initially dealer was $500 above my price but the sales rep called me back matching my price towards the end of the month. Other dealers kept calling me few days after the purchase to find out where I bought my car from and how much I paid

To comment on previous poster, I think buying a car is not difficult but it is difficult to buy it at the best lowest price as no dealers like to sell their cars at the lowest margin.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Any catches I need to watch out ? Like hidden charges or things they try to hide.
I intend to use the Costco price and see if any dealership can beat that.
Figure out OTD price. Let dealer do their calculation. I would simply tell them this is what I want to pay out the door, take it or I am leaving the table.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:00 AM

6 posts, read 5,752 times
Quote:
Thinking of getting a Toyota Sienna, any advice if I should get it during end of Nov or end of Dec ? Where would be a good place to get deals ? Cost cosco ? Toyota of Dallas dealership ?

Thanks !
August & December are the best times for Lexus, so I assume for Toyota it's the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas