Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 09:23 PM

500 posts, read 583,050 times

Advertisements

Here is a good place to start to research the importance of weighted GPA's in the college admissions game.

This is the link to the main page. There are sub catagories for other areas as well as for individual colleges (some more active than others).

** as with some things, opinions are across the board and there are a lot of "ivy is the only worthy school" types.

College Admissions - College Confidential
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 12:39 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Believe me--kids in IB classes earn their extra weight
They do more, harder work
AP is more difficult than regular but from my experience not as demanding as IB

At Bell HS/HEB ISD initially AP and IB classes were seated/scheduled w/same teacher/time block and teacher kept separate class register and grade sheet. As IB class numbers grew they split into only IB classes and AP classes
Hard to schedule both types without enlarging your school plant or faculty and schedule for special sections like Band which so many honors kids in both groups are in

Old 11-24-2015, 11:38 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,089 times
May want to explore GPA (or lack thereof) in HS/college of top 0.1% (not mere top 1%) in US in net worth from last 30-40yrs....

Then, ponder that similar ilk today are probably K-12 dropouts (homeschooled is perhaps polite term until they make real money) who just trade/code all day and, if truly smart, never seek employment, let alone Luddite college credentials....

Old 11-25-2015, 10:19 AM

45 posts, read 70,089 times
Just looked at Naviance with a friend who has a senior in Plano East Senior High and according to their matriculation statistics for 2015, acceptance rates of their graduates are 70% in UTD and 64% in UT Austin.

I'm positive that statistics for Plano West, HP and Coppell are even better. That sort of kills the top 10% theory, not automated but most serious applicants get in anyways.

Her daughter took AP route but she said that about 75-80 people who received IB diploma, all of them were accepted in UT schools and state of Texas awards them 26 credit hours in college plus more if they took AP tests too so most of them went to college with 26-46 credit hours.

School record is of one student receiving 58credit hours from UTD but his life just revolved around collecting AP/IB credit.

Last edited by FallFig; 11-25-2015 at 10:29 AM..

Old 11-25-2015, 01:03 PM

8,118 posts, read 3,663,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallFig View Post
Just looked at Naviance with a friend who has a senior in Plano East Senior High and according to their matriculation statistics for 2015, acceptance rates of their graduates are 70% in UTD and 64% in UT Austin.

I'm positive that statistics for Plano West, HP and Coppell are even better. That sort of kills the top 10% theory, not automated but most serious applicants get in anyways.

Her daughter took AP route but she said that about 75-80 people who received IB diploma, all of them were accepted in UT schools and state of Texas awards them 26 credit hours in college plus more if they took AP tests too so most of them went to college with 26-46 credit hours.

School record is of one student receiving 58credit hours from UTD but his life just revolved around collecting AP/IB credit.
You need to know how many actually applied. If 100 students applied and 64 got in, it could easily be that all were in top 7% or whatever the current cutoff is.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:26 PM

This is a snap shot that he sent me yesterday. My kid doesn't have access to Naviance. It's for high school students.
Attached Thumbnails
GPA of top 1% in 9th grade-image.jpeg  

Old 11-25-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
This is a snap shot that he sent me yesterday. My kid doesn't have access to Naviance. It's for high school students.
Those acceptance rates are about average for each schools acceptance rate on a whole.

UTD 52%
A&M 69%
SMU 52%
Baylor 55%
Rice 16%

Old 11-25-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:

Top 10% can really kill a very smart student at a high academic school if they were wanting in UT. When I mention UT, UT Austin.
At any other high school they may have been the valedictorian. At a strong academic school with strong IB and AP students, maybe not. UT also does not auto admit the top 10%. It is very fluid every year based on the ranking of their applicants. Some years it has been top 5%. Lately, it has been hovering around 7-8%. Some students do get turned off and do not even bother applying.

I've known kids that have started college with upwards of 50+ credit hours. One such, she graduates this coming May after only 2 years at a major state flagship at the age of 19. She has been accepted into several top notch law schools. She has a tough choice to make on where to go. She is involved other activites besides school. Travels extensively around the globe, mostly due to dads occupation.
My neighbors 2 kids graduated full IB. One went into college with 60 college hours. The other was around 30. Both were in band. It is possible to be involved, depends on the family dynmaics.

Old 11-25-2015, 04:00 PM

8,118 posts, read 3,663,787 times
Quote:
So this is just for Plano East, or for the whole PISD?

Old 11-25-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
So this is just for Plano East, or for the whole PISD?
Just East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas