U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 06:39 AM

2,395 posts, read 5,568,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
>Take a $250K home at 3500 sq ft. If you added a basement,<....

You dont need to go further than that. Almost a Mcmansion at 250K. Compared to many parts of the country that price is incredibly low.
Absolutely it is. I guess my point is that the price per sq ft goes up if you have a basement. Compare a 3500 sq ft above ground for $250K - if you instead had a single story home of 1750 w/1750sq ft basement, the cost would be in the $350-400K range. So price per ft would be higher... and we all know how everyone in Texas likes to make their home look as big as possible... so basements don't offer that "wow-factor".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 06:55 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,375,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
Absolutely it is. I guess my point is that the price per sq ft goes up if you have a basement. Compare a 3500 sq ft above ground for $250K - if you instead had a single story home of 1750 w/1750sq ft basement, the cost would be in the $350-400K range.
This really puzzles me. Does excavating a 7ft deep, 1750sf hole + concrete walls + drain, waterproofing cost $100k .. $150k more than a slab-on-grade ?! What's so expensive? The backhoe time? (it's not the concrete; concrete for 42ftx42ftx8ft basement walls, 1ft thick is 50cuyd, which costs approx. $4500).

Even if the ground is solid granite, $150k for a hole + concrete walls ?!?!?!?!?!? You can get a complete house + lot in Dallas for that money...

Old 02-06-2008, 07:46 AM

Basements have to be dug ~ 10' deep to account for footers, then the slab floor, because all basements built today account for allowing of mechanicals and 1st floor joists in teh ceiling of the basement and still allowing for a standard 8' ceiling. While I don't know exact costs, I've heard of friends paying $50K just to get a pool hole dug, and a basement is going to have 3+ x the volume of dirt to remove, so I'd have to believe it can cost $100K+ for a hole that size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
Even if the ground is solid granite, $150k for a hole + concrete walls ?!?!?!?!?!? You can get a complete house + lot in Dallas for that money...
Hence the reason we don't see many here, except for high end homes. It also seems that people really want the 9' and 10' ceilings. Guess what? That's not norm for a basement, and would cost you even more in excavation.

Brian

Old 02-06-2008, 08:38 AM

Backhoe rental (+operator) can be had for $90/hour for equipment that can dig some 12ft deep.

Pricing

$100k at this price is 555 hours. I doubt that digging a 42x42x12 hole with power equipment takes seventy 8-hour working days. $100k is a LOT of money.

I plan on getting a basement for my new home that I'll owner-build in LH. If such a hole costs $100k to dig, I plan on digging by hand and utilize a jackhammer, if I hit lime stone. Don't care if I dig for 2 years for that amount of money. No joke. (my uncle actually did exactly that.......).

Old 02-06-2008, 09:09 AM

3,029 posts, read 7,589,769 times
having lived on the East coast the last 11 years...I dearly miss my basement.

both our houses had wonderful finished basements. They were the kids zone, Great for slumber parties etc... you NEVER heard them. Now that the "bonus room" is upstairs, just having a couple of extra kids sounds like a zoo!!!
Not to mention the wonderful storage space.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:22 AM

2,213 posts, read 4,092,645 times
Ah, the "kids zone." I can't imagine having as much fun as a teenager in the "game room" as we did in people's basements. ;-)

Old 02-06-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
Backhoe rental (+operator) can be had for $90/hour for equipment that can dig some 12ft deep.

Pricing

$100k at this price is 555 hours. I doubt that digging a 42x42x12 hole with power equipment takes seventy 8-hour working days. $100k is a LOT of money.

I plan on getting a basement for my new home that I'll owner-build in LH. If such a hole costs $100k to dig, I plan on digging by hand and utilize a jackhammer, if I hit lime stone. Don't care if I dig for 2 years for that amount of money. No joke. (my uncle actually did exactly that.......).
When you start, please let me know. I'd love to know what it costs. I miss my basement from Michigan, also, and I would seriously consider atleast a partial basement if I were to ever build - and your owner-built thought is exactly what I'd love to do. I'd happily toss in my time to learn from your experience. Here's some of the work I've done in the master bath:

Flickr: Photos from lacroixb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Ah, the "kids zone." I can't imagine having as much fun as a teenager in the "game room" as we did in people's basements. ;-)
I love the basement on the 70's show.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:34 AM

152 posts, read 467,636 times
There are a lot of cost associated with adding a basement that are beyond just digging the hole and concrete. Although digging can get very expensive when you hit rock. Once you hit any type of rock your $90hr quote goes out the window.

You have the waterproofing, drain tile, sump pump and plumbing for such. You are basically adding another floor to the house, so now instead of just having a slab and then 2nd floor joist(if you have a 2 story house), You now have 1st floor joist as well as all of the 3/4 subfloor to go with it(not cheap). You now also have to heat and cool the square footage in the basement which means added HVAC. There is also another set of stairs that have to be built, electrical and plumbing as well. Don't forget you have to insulate it also.

Not to mention most contractors/builders don't want to mess with a basement here or the extra problems/liability that goes along with it so you are going to pay a premium for them to do it.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyinSanAntonio View Post
There are a lot of cost associated with adding a basement that are beyond just digging the hole and concrete. Although digging can get very expensive when you hit rock. Once you hit any type of rock your $90hr quote goes out the window..
The hourly rate is probably the same, but it'll take (much) longer. In DFW, rock = lime stone, which is rather soft. I observed excavation where the backhoe was outfitted with an oversized jack-hammer to break up the rock. Didn't look as if the heavy duty equipment had much troubles with the lime stone.

Quote:
You have the waterproofing, drain tile, sump pump and plumbing for such. You are basically adding another floor to the house, so now instead of just having a slab and then 2nd floor joist(if you have a 2 story house), You now have 1st floor joist as well as all of the 3/4 subfloor to go with it(not cheap). You now also have to heat and cool the square footage in the basement which means added HVAC. There is also another set of stairs that have to be built, electrical and plumbing as well. Don't forget you have to insulate it also.
The hypothetical example in this thread assumed a $100k - $150k premium for a 1 story 2500sf house with finished basement compared to a 2 story 2500sf house on slab. So there is no additional floor.

Of course, if you add a basement to the house (instead of replacing a story), you'll have to add the cost of the additional sub-floor and stairs.

Quote:
Not to mention most contractors/builders don't want to mess with a basement here or the extra problems/liability that goes along with it so you are going to pay a premium for them to do it.
That is probably the #1 reason, why it is so expensive. It is a luxury and the ultimate in custom in DFW. They charge what's possible. The only basement in DFW that I know of was in a multi-million $$ home during the Parade of Homes. Marketed towards someone who doesn't have to budget much. The builder did budget, though - the A/C unit was a Goodman. LOL!

Old 02-06-2008, 10:29 AM

4,027 posts, read 12,945,798 times
All of the basements I am familiar with (back east and the one I have in WA) are all daylight basements where one wall is not below the surface. Of course this takes a sloped lot but eliminates many drainage and air flow issues. Since most of the housing in Texas is built on flat plains and often with soil that does not drain well, it seems that basements are simply less practical and more costly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas