Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 10:24 AM

48 posts, read 90,773 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am starting to apply to area hospitals prior to a relocation, and would love opinions and guidance of what hospitals are best to work at and if any should be avoided.

I am a nurse of 10 years with 3 years as RN/BSN in L&D and would love to stay in L&D and hope for the miracle or miracles to get to a day shift.

We are focusing on North / Northwest of Dallas in our home search if that helps.

What is best way to connect with the HR / recruiters for a hospital / department in addition to finding job listings?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 10:35 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,520,333 times
Best of luck! I cant speak to where job openings might be, but Baylor Frisco (delivered 2 children there) and the new Texas Health hospital in Flower Mound are nice little hospitals with a big focus on L&D. It seemed like a very relaxed environment

Old 01-12-2016, 11:19 AM

11,819 posts, read 26,669,872 times
Baylor, Texas Health Resources, and HCA are the big players in DFW healthcare. Apply online to their websites for jobs. DFW is in need of skilled RNs, so you will likely get multiple offers!

You may try using LinkedIn to find recruiters, but most of the ones I know prefer to work through their processes.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:22 AM

244 posts, read 402,615 times
Can you tell me about your L&D philosophy? Are you used to a patient driven model or a physician driven model? Do you prefer mom's with doulas and birthing balls or mom's who just want the epidural? Is Baby friendly status important to you? Magnet status?

Tell me about that "stuff" and I can guide you towards the hospital systems that are going to best match your philosophy.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:41 PM

19,493 posts, read 17,729,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastrian2 View Post
Can you tell me about your L&D philosophy? Are you used to a patient driven model or a physician driven model? Do you prefer mom's with doulas and birthing balls or mom's who just want the epidural? Is Baby friendly status important to you? Magnet status?

Tell me about that "stuff" and I can guide you towards the hospital systems that are going to best match your philosophy.
What's the difference between physician driven and patient driven L&D?

Old 01-12-2016, 02:46 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,555,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
What's the difference between physician driven and patient driven L&D?
Safety

Old 01-12-2016, 03:07 PM

19,493 posts, read 17,729,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
Safety
Not sure what you mean?

Old 01-12-2016, 04:21 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,154,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastrian2 View Post

I'm curious how you would group certain hospitals based on this. The hospital I had my daughter at doesn't have birthing tubs or anything the more natural-birth patients are interested in, but I found that it didn't really matter as the nurses were pretty much on board with whatever I wanted. I wanted to bring my own birthing ball? Go for it. I didn't want an epidural? I'll help you with positioning and moving around to keep your pain limited and labor progressing. Want to bring a doula, complete with her tricks of the trade? Cool.

That was even though I got the distinct impression from several nurses that I was NOT the norm. However, no one batted an eye when I told them my plans and they were all very supportive. I actually had to put up a bigger fight with my own OB to get the birth I wanted (in hindsight I should've gotten a different OB) than any of the hospital staff.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:52 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,481,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
I'm curious how you would group certain hospitals based on this. The hospital I had my daughter at doesn't have birthing tubs or anything the more natural-birth patients are interested in, but I found that it didn't really matter as the nurses were pretty much on board with whatever I wanted. I wanted to bring my own birthing ball? Go for it. I didn't want an epidural? I'll help you with positioning and moving around to keep your pain limited and labor progressing. Want to bring a doula, complete with her tricks of the trade? Cool.

That was even though I got the distinct impression from several nurses that I was NOT the norm. However, no one batted an eye when I told them my plans and they were all very supportive. I actually had to put up a bigger fight with my own OB to get the birth I wanted (in hindsight I should've gotten a different OB) than any of the hospital staff.
StephWin - which hospital?

Old 01-12-2016, 04:52 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,555,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Not sure what you mean?
I assume physician driven medical events are inherently safer than patient driven ones.

That said, I understand what alastrain means. Some physicians are more accepting of things like birth plans.

My wife works L&D at THR Plano. Been there several years, and likes it. She has assisted in many natural births and many scheduled inductions/sections including very sick patients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas