Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2008, 11:42 AM

563 posts, read 3,742,100 times

Advertisements

Since everyone's definition of a good vet may be different from mine here's what I'm looking for :

Someone who takes their time to examine the dog,
asks pertinent questions about issues besides the ones I bring up
Is gentle with the animal and treats him respectfully
Who obviously enjoys being around animals (Isn't that a basic requirement for becoming a vet??)
An office that does not take the dog out of the examining room to do the bloodworks etc without allowing me to accompany the animal

I don't need a fancy Pet hospital with all the bells and whistles if that means that the vet is in too much of a hurry to spend more than a bare minimum of time with my animal.

I just spent $250 at Josey Ranch pet hospital for my dog's vaccine boosters, could barely get a word in edgewise with the vet who came and went as fast as he possibly could! It seems odd that they would do such a rotten job with a prospective new client and I was even interested in getting the dog's teeth cleaned! So, any reccomendations on a decent vet who shows actual affection towards the animals he/she treats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 01:26 PM

264 posts, read 1,184,036 times
Try Carrollton Animal Hospital, also on Josey Ln, just a bit further south. I took my dog there off and on over the years (my mom lives near there), and they have always been attentive, thorough, kind, and compassionate. The doctor always calls a day or two after an appointment (if my dog was sick) to see how things are going. I had to put my baby down this summer, and they were so wonderful about the whole thing.
They also do 1/2 price shots on Saturday!
Their phone number is: 972-242-7606

Old 02-06-2008, 04:53 PM

415 posts, read 1,717,875 times
My brother goes to Carrollton West Pet Hospital and really likes it.

We take our babies to Creature Comforts in Plano. We have two older German Shepherds and one was limping. The vet spent 2 hours examining both of them, answering questions, and making sure everything was taken care of. She was extremely gentle and very thorough. They are also open to alternative treatments, such as acupuncture and chiropractic, but in conjunction with 'standard Western treatment' (in other words, drugs and surgery).

It turned out to be arthritis and part of the treatment was shots I would have to give. They showed me how to give the shots, then made sure I could do it. We talked about future treatments, if the current approach stops working. Talked about preventative measures. I learned more in those 2 hours than I had in the last couple of years...

Very, very happy with them and it's worth the drive from McKinney.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:19 AM

5,742 posts, read 17,592,639 times
Try Bent Tree. We took our dogs there for years and years. Dr Kunde is a real hoot too and makes the visit entertaining.

Bent Tree Animal Hospital, P. A., Inc: Vet care for dogs and cats in Dallas, Texas (TX). *Bent Tree Animal Hospital, P. A.'s veterinarians and team members are committed to your pet's health. *Veterinary services for the animals of Denton County.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:41 AM

563 posts, read 3,742,100 times
Thanks for all the responses.
I wish there was a recommended method for picking a vet like there is for picking a pediatrician - going in and interviewing them to see if their philosophy matches yours would make things so much easier. I've been told that February being Dental Month in the veterinarian world has caused all the vets to be insanely busy ( discounts on teeth cleaning!) and so they have no time to sit and chat!!

Old 03-26-2008, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 5,938 times
Crossroads Pet Hospital in Carrollton is very good. They are very nice and have done a good job with my cats.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,026 times
Does any one have experience for canine dental extraction 4th premolar? My baby needs to remove both of them, and I am so worry for getting inexperience vet, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas