Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 09:23 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times

Advertisements

My quick 2 cents - Folks are reasonably nice and even with the recent run-ups houses are still affordable, but for me the low COL wasn't enough to overcome the negatives of living there.

TBH the lack of topography is only 1/3 of the story. If that were the only downside to living in the Metroplex I might still be there.

I personally didn't care for the climate. You'll probably love the mild-ish winters, but summer is hotter and noticeably more humid than the Front Range. Average highs at or above 90 start around mid-June and they don't abate until mid-September. As an added "bonus" it doesn't cool off appreciably at night during the summer. It's not uncommon for the thermometer to still be between 85 & 90 at 10pm. You can leave windows open here at night well into July and August, but down there you'll typically be living with the A/C on 24x7 starting sometime in June. During the dead of summer it'll be pushing 80 at daybreak and well into the 90s by noon - so plan accordingly and prepare to sweat like you never have before.

If you've got hay fever, seasonal allergies are really bad in the Metroplex. Allergy season starts in January/February with "Cedar Fever" and continues on until the first frost - usually in late October/early November. You'll get little breaks here and there, but popping non-sedating antihistamines like Claritin could become a daily occurrence. For me the Claritin didn't alleviate my symptoms completely; it only took the edge off.

I strongly advise against moving to DFW sight unseen for most folks, but especially so for you coming from the dry climate of the Front Range. Typically I suggest making a trip there in late July for a couple weeks when the weather's at its absolute worst to get a feel for how uncomfortable it really is.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:24 PM

974 posts, read 2,185,493 times
If you're looking for anything remotely close to mountains, you're going to have to go to Arkansas for a weekend trip. When I was much younger I did a fair share of climbing and rappelling that was pretty good but may not be quite what you have in Colorado.

Here's a link: http://www.arkansas.com/outdoors/hiking/rock-climbing/

Old 01-19-2016, 10:08 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Like I said, you can have picturesque. You just have to pay for it:

7941 Summit Cove, Fort Worth Property Listing: MLS® #13298802

LOL

Google dfw lakefront homes...

Old 01-19-2016, 10:33 PM

44 posts, read 42,162 times
Thank you! Amongst the abysmal information on here, that is a breath of fresh air. I will most certainly be escaping to this place as frequently as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
If you're looking for anything remotely close to mountains, you're going to have to go to Arkansas for a weekend trip. When I was much younger I did a fair share of climbing and rappelling that was pretty good but may not be quite what you have in Colorado.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:38 PM

Don't people rock climb at Possum Kingdom?

Old 01-19-2016, 10:40 PM

By the way, op, threads like these are usually awash with the folks who can't tolerate the weather for one reason or another.
I assure you there are many of us who are pretty much out every single day (maybe not snow/ice day - though sledding does happen if we get enough inches).

So it's a personal thing. I played tennis at 95 degrees or 35 degrees. I ran in both, too.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:43 PM

Thank you. That paints a very clear picture as to what we can expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
My quick 2 cents - Folks are reasonably nice and even with the recent run-ups houses are still affordable, but for me the low COL wasn't enough to overcome the negatives of living there.

TBH the lack of topography is only 1/3 of the story. If that were the only downside to living in the Metroplex I might still be there.

I personally didn't care for the climate. You'll probably love the mild-ish winters, but summer is hotter and noticeably more humid than the Front Range. Average highs at or above 90 start around mid-June and they don't abate until mid-September. As an added "bonus" it doesn't cool off appreciably at night during the summer. It's not uncommon for the thermometer to still be between 85 & 90 at 10pm. You can leave windows open here at night well into July and August, but down there you'll typically be living with the A/C on 24x7 starting sometime in June. During the dead of summer it'll be pushing 80 at daybreak and well into the 90s by noon - so plan accordingly and prepare to sweat like you never have before...

Old 01-19-2016, 10:50 PM

Fortunately, I do pretty well with heat. And biking is good for that type of weather. But tennis?! That's crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
By the way, op, threads like these are usually awash with the folks who can't tolerate the weather for one reason or another.
I assure you there are many of us who are pretty much out every single day (maybe not snow/ice day - though sledding does happen if we get enough inches).

So it's a personal thing. I played tennis at 95 degrees or 35 degrees. I ran in both, too.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:32 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,978,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
..., and I know Santa Cruz by reputation.
Informed. There are people who know Santa Cruz by experience who'll say you don't really know what you're talking about.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:26 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,408,992 times
On a positive note, forest fires dont threaten the metro area as I experienced a few summeers ago in Boulder. Secondly we have air conditioned space every where unlike chattauqua.

Slightly closer than arkansas are the small mountains of SE Oklahoma. I hestitate to call them mountains but they certainly are not flat land. We spend half our summer time in New Mexico at 10000 feet up where August is 75 for a high and lows below 50 degrees. Its not out your backyard but a good 9.5 hours away.

DFW area is diverse people wise. I think you can find like minded folks unlike some suggest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas