Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2016, 12:44 PM

7 posts, read 8,611 times

Advertisements

I am trying to help a family member research educational alternatives for their 8th grade daughter (this would be for 9th grade, Fall 2016).

She is currently in 8th grade and was attending a Flower Mound (LISD) middle school. She recently withdrew from the school to start online school (which she has done previously).

She does not have a learning disability and can handle the coursework fine. However, she has severe social anxiety and depression, and it's overwhelming for her to be in a large public school environment.

We are trying to determine if there is some middle ground between public school and online school that might be a fit. I recommended a private school or charter school to my family member thinking a smaller, close-knit environment might be more comfortable than a large public school setting, without having to go to the extreme of online school for high school.

I know online school is becoming more commonplace now, but I think there's something to be said for accountability in a traditional classroom setting and interaction with other teenagers to help equip her for success with whatever she does post-high school.

My concern is there is a lack of accountability and structure during the day with online High School since she'd be home unsupervised, and she's not getting the social interaction that is normal day-to-day.

I feel a lot of the private schools around here are: A) too fast-paced socially due to a lot of affluence, B) Focused on athletics or C) Too competitive to be admitted to for run of the mill students

Does anyone know of any smaller private high schools or charter schools that might provide something closer to a traditional classroom than online school offers where someone who does have social anxiety wouldn't feel too alienated?

My family members live on the border of Lewisville & FloMo, so I don't think anything in Dallas proper would work.

Appreciate the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 01:19 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times
Great Lakes Academy, a private, accredited school in central Plano, is for average/above average students with learning differences. Severe social anxiety might fit that bill. They could inquire.

North Dallas Private School | Learning Differences, Asperger?s, ADHD | Great Lakes Academy

Old 01-20-2016, 03:18 PM

73 posts, read 111,980 times
Bending Oaks High School sounds like it might be perfect for her. It's a laid-back, small private school with smaller class sizes and more individualized attention. They typically serve students who struggle with the large high school environments, whether it's because of academic issues or social ones.

Bending Oaks

Old 01-20-2016, 07:22 PM

213 posts, read 314,897 times
Coram Deo? Founders? Just thinking out loud what is smaller and in the area......

Old 01-20-2016, 07:51 PM

7 posts, read 8,611 times
Thanks so much, all! I will relay these to look into. All of these are new names, so very helpful!

Old 01-21-2016, 08:08 AM

718 posts, read 1,388,838 times
I second Great Lakes academy , they have become well known for specifically that type of social anxiety issues.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:48 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,491,643 times
You seem to have some great recs, here is one more (my niece attended -- she had different issues, but she graduated with honors, earned a scholarship to a good uni, and now lives/works in D.C.).

About - The Winston School
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas