Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 05:26 PM

4,165 posts, read 6,854,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Because they are correct. The normal air temperature + humidity adjusted temperature for Dallas is triple digits and is from mid to end of June to mid September. If you want to be pedantic and say that the air temperature alone isn't triple digits because its 97-99F then fine but those of us who spend time outside count the humidity too, because it makes a huge difference, and it's why today and yesterday night and most of this week are going to be pretty comfortable even though the temp is 92-95F today. Lower vs higher humidity matters.
I'm sorry, but unless someone specifies some other specific metric for a conversation, the default discussion is the dry-bulb temperature of the air. It's definitely not pedantic to utilize air temperature as the base point for this kind of conversation when discussing weather.

I'm very well aware of the differences in humidity and various ways to measure temperature; calculations incorporating outdoor temperature and humidity are a big part of my daily job. I also spend a lot of time outside as I choose to commute primarily by bike here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 05:42 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,280,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
They will be starting in...........one week! They started already (later than usual) and this week we're getting an unusual cold front. I need to find a jacket,,,,,86 on Wednesday!
wow....I used to live in Dallas and the summers never bothered me.Stay safe...stay in the AC if you can and drink plenty of H20.I actually look forward to the Texas summers lol

Old 07-31-2017, 06:55 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,072,764 times
What are the summers like in Dallas?!?

Ice cold.

Pack plenty of winter gear.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:32 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,130,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
What are the summers like in Dallas?!?

Ice cold.

Pack plenty of winter gear.

Yup, especially if you're going to a restaurant or a movie theater!

Old 08-01-2017, 01:19 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,981,486 times
Personally, I think a lot of transplants enjoy summers here because they haven't spent their whole lives dealing with it. Most of my friends and I love colder weather because it's something we don't experience as often. Hot days dredge up memories of uncomfortable sports practices, pick-up basketball games, riding public transit and sweating like a sinner in church. It's easy to acclimate to it but you get tired of it the same way snowbirds get tired of gray skies and cold.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:51 PM

5,254 posts, read 6,350,894 times
Quote:
It's definitely not pedantic to utilize air temperature as the base point for this kind of conversation when discussing weather.
Yes it is, because you state that like nobody can look at the temperature readings on their car dashboards or on various signs around town that read over 100F pretty regularly. Also, legitimate meteorological reasons for measuring official temperatures the way they do are not the same as temperature experienced by those feeling it as they cross the office parking lot and it's doubly pedantic to deny it.

Summer temps in Dallas are regularly over 100F and it's not like it's some secret or wrong to state it.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:26 AM

4,165 posts, read 6,854,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Yes it is, because you state that like nobody can look at the temperature readings on their car dashboards or on various signs around town that read over 100F pretty regularly. Also, legitimate meteorological reasons for measuring official temperatures the way they do are not the same as temperature experienced by those feeling it as they cross the office parking lot and it's doubly pedantic to deny it.

Summer temps in Dallas are regularly over 100F and it's not like it's some secret or wrong to state it.
I never said it was wrong to state that it is regularly over 100F? They do cross 100F several times a month in the summer, but the average temperature is still in the mid 90s.

Actual temperature vs heat index or what someone feels standing in an office parking in direct sun lot are still entirely different though. Again, it's not pedantic.

Last edited by Sunbather; 08-02-2017 at 08:44 AM..

Old 08-02-2017, 03:24 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,657,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I never said it was wrong to state that it is regularly over 100F? They do cross 100F several times a month in the summer, but the average temperature is still in the mid 90s.

Actual temperature vs heat index or what someone feels standing in an office parking in direct sun lot are still entirely different though. Again, it's not pedantic.
I just checked temps from July and August 2016. I counted 11 days in August with temps of 100 or higher, and 0 in July.

Regardless, there isn't much difference between 95 and 102, and 90+ degree days are pretty much an everyday occurrence from late June to early September in much of Texas.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:32 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,100,528 times
This summer has been a little odd with the frequent rain.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:23 AM

6,631 posts, read 9,853,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
This summer has been a little odd with the frequent rain.
Yep it has.

The weatherman said the same thing last night on the news. Around this time of the year, it suppose to be very dry with temps in the upper 90s or low 100s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas