Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 04:11 PM

20 posts, read 30,271 times

Advertisements

Help! I need advice! My husband accepted a job near the airport and will be moving there from Michigan next month. My plan is to finish the school year here, but I want to start looking at houses in the school district that has the best services for students with needs. We are interested in towns in the following ISDs (from what I can tell): Lewisville, Grapevine/Colleyville, Carroll, and Coppell. I have an autistic 7th grader who is an autistic classroom working at a 2nd grade level and working on life skills. I also have a 9th grader who has asperger's syndrome and takes social skills at his high school, but in co -taught general education classrooms and gets good grades. He gets support if he needs it. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 05:57 PM

283 posts, read 404,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlford1550 View Post
Help! I need advice! My husband accepted a job near the airport and will be moving there from Michigan next month. My plan is to finish the school year here, but I want to start looking at houses in the school district that has the best services for students with needs. We are interested in towns in the following ISDs (from what I can tell): Lewisville, Grapevine/Colleyville, Carroll, and Coppell. I have an autistic 7th grader who is an autistic classroom working at a 2nd grade level and working on life skills. I also have a 9th grader who has asperger's syndrome and takes social skills at his high school, but in co -taught general education classrooms and gets good grades. He gets support if he needs it. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated!!!
Among the options you listed, I would go with Lewisville. There're several strong parents support group here in DFW for special need kids that might help you too.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:27 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
What's your budget for housing?

Old 03-08-2016, 07:32 AM

Up to $800,0000

Old 03-08-2016, 07:38 AM

8,147 posts, read 8,345,769 times
Perhaps you might find groups like this one with first hand exposure to local ISD's. Dallas County Support for Moms of Special Needs Children (Irving, TX) - Meetup

Old 03-08-2016, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,417 times
The schools of Coppell ISD are among the top in the Metroplex. We have strong programs for the challenged learner. What you will like most about Coppell is the small town feel. Only 40,000 people total compared to the huge populations of the other options you listed. Money magazine says it is the best place to raise a kid and to live in general. Believe it. Best Places in the U.S. to Be a Kid
Best Places to Live 2015

Old 03-08-2016, 03:43 PM

FYI: Grapevine population is 46334, and Colleyville is 22807. They share an ISD, but are by no means huge towns!

Old 03-08-2016, 05:48 PM

The Special Ed department in Coppell ISD was rude to me on the phone. They said that their procedure was to refer people to their website (which I read). They would not answer any questions until we bought a home in their school district. My argument was that as a parent, I would NEVER purchase a home in an area without first knowing that the schools there are going to give my children what they need. She basically said 'too bad.' I was fuming. I spoke to Grapevine/Colleyville. They were super friendly. I am waiting on a call back from Carroll and Lewisville ISD is on spring break. I am interested in hearing thoughts from parents with special needs children in those schools or teachers who work there.....No one really understands what concerns we have except another parent who has or is experiencing it. Any thoughts about traffic from the airport to those areas would be appreciated. My husband's job is just south of the airport. And, shops/restaurants/amenities that those places have. Thanks all for the feedback!!!
Michelle

Old 03-08-2016, 07:03 PM

Southlake has the high-end shops and restaurants, Costco, and the Town Square development. Grapevine is next door and has the big box retail, plus the cute downtown and Grapevine Mills Mall. Your budget will get a nice house in either of those cities.

If your husband's job is south of DFW, he will want easy access to SH 360. That's the most direct route.

Flower Mound has heavy traffic south in the mornings and north in the evenings. Even once the 2499 construction is complete, it's just a lot of cars...

Old 03-08-2016, 08:54 PM

473 posts, read 1,199,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Southlake has the high-end shops and restaurants, Costco, and the Town Square development. Grapevine is next door and has the big box retail, plus the cute downtown and Grapevine Mills Mall. Your budget will get a nice house in either of those cities.

If your husband's job is south of DFW, he will want easy access to SH 360. That's the most direct route.

Flower Mound has heavy traffic south in the mornings and north in the evenings. Even once the 2499 construction is complete, it's just a lot of cars...
You are misleading folks again like in the past to allure them to Grapevine instead of helping.The area you are talking is not in Flower Mound. Its in Grapevine and after the 2499 re-construction is complete, you are sounding as if the 'lots of cars' is a deal breaker for folks coming from FM. Do you have a comparative traffic counts Vs other highways in DFW to support your generalized statement?

To the OP, masonsmom4 gave some good give inputs already on your other thread.

Here is another link I found that might be helpful. You can ignore most of content and try contacting this teacher or the Lewisville ISD students in the Focus on the Future program. May be, some of them or their parents might give you the information you are looking for.

Lewisville ISD special-needs students launch their own comic convention, and it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: