Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 09:10 AM

617 posts, read 1,041,854 times

Advertisements

Interesting info here. Obvious caveat that some schools encourage lots of students to sit for the exams, regardless of preparation -- where in other schools, only the most prepared students will sign up for the exams.

Dallas, Texas Area School Information: 2014-2015 AB/IB Science - Percent of Students "Passing" Exam
Dallas, Texas Area School Information: 2014-2015 AB/IB English - Percent of Students "Passing" Exam
Dallas, Texas Area School Information: 2014-2015 AB/IB Social Studies - Percent of Students "Passing" Exam

Ranchview HS (C-FB) is #1 in English, #9 in Science, and #23 in Social Studies. By comparison, it's nothing special in SAT or NMSF. I guess there's an elite cohort that focuses more on AP than PSAT? And English is the top, not Science.

Trinity HS (HEB) and Bell HS (HEB) are not far off of Grapevine and Colleyville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 09:21 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin View Post
Interesting info here. Obvious caveat that some schools encourage lots of students to sit for the exams, regardless of preparation -- where in other schools, only the most prepared students will sign up for the exams.

Dallas, Texas Area School Information: 2014-2015 AB/IB Science - Percent of Students "Passing" Exam
Dallas, Texas Area School Information: 2014-2015 AB/IB English - Percent of Students "Passing" Exam
Dallas, Texas Area School Information: 2014-2015 AB/IB Social Studies - Percent of Students "Passing" Exam

Ranchview HS (C-FB) is #1 in English, #9 in Science, and #23 in Social Studies. By comparison, it's nothing special in SAT or NMSF. I guess there's an elite cohort that focuses more on AP than PSAT? And English is the top, not Science.

Trinity HS (HEB) and Bell HS (HEB) are not far off of Grapevine and Colleyville.
The DISD pass rates outside TAG and SEM are abysmal. Even Booker T is pretty embarrassing. I wonder how much money the district wastes a year on AP entrance fees.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:57 AM

617 posts, read 1,041,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
The DISD pass rates outside TAG and SEM are abysmal. Even Booker T is pretty embarrassing. I wonder how much money the district wastes a year on AP entrance fees.
There's this theory, put forward by Jay Mathews, that pushing even weak students to take AP exams helps those students advance, even if they don't actually pass the exams.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...99b_story.html
I have been rating high schools since 1998 with an index that measures the portion of students taking AP, International Baccalaureate and Advanced International Certificate of Education courses and tests, not how well the students perform on them... After 31 years watching and interviewing hundreds of AP and IB teachers who welcome everyone into their classes, I am convinced that schools that challenge average or even below-average students that way have the right idea.
Mathews has influence because, as a Washington Post reporter, he put together the "Challenge Index" that rewards high schools for pushing lots of students to take the AP exams, regardless of the students' level, and this is the basis of the WP best school list that gets so much publicity.

But I wonder if anyone's actually tested out this theory of his. It seems... kind of doubtful to me. But I would reserve judgment.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:07 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin View Post
There's this theory, put forward by Jay Mathews, that pushing even weak students to take AP exams helps those students advance, even if they don't actually pass the exams.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...99b_story.html
I have been rating high schools since 1998 with an index that measures the portion of students taking AP, International Baccalaureate and Advanced International Certificate of Education courses and tests, not how well the students perform on them... After 31 years watching and interviewing hundreds of AP and IB teachers who welcome everyone into their classes, I am convinced that schools that challenge average or even below-average students that way have the right idea.
Mathews has influence because, as a Washington Post reporter, he put together the "Challenge Index" that rewards high schools for pushing lots of students to take the AP exams, regardless of the students' level, and this is the basis of the WP best school list that gets so much publicity.

But I wonder if anyone's actually tested out this theory of his. It seems... kind of doubtful to me. But I would reserve judgment.
1) That theory is put forward by a person whose work is validated by believing it. It's called talking your book.
2) There has to be a substantial amount of skew in the results. Teachers in poorly performing schools have so few passing students each year, that they probably aren't confident in their ability to figure out who will be successful, so they just tell everyone to take the exam anyways. It's free to the students, so there's little incentive to discourage them. Meanwhile, teachers in the suburban schools who routinely produce high numbers of passing students can probably figure out which students are likely to pass. So they're not likely to encourage very low performing students with a marginal chance at passing to take the exams. Meanwhile, parents pay for the tests themselves so there isn't an incentive to take the test knowing there is a high likelihood of getting a 1 or 2.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:30 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,015 times
to no surprise, Plano + Frisco on top

where are the people that said i was wrong when i said Coppell always ranked lower than those 2?

Old 03-11-2016, 03:10 PM

990 posts, read 2,303,274 times
doesn't mean they have some magic formula for every kid. Parental careers are a huge predictor for things like this.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:10 PM

3 posts, read 3,665 times
I'm rather surprised by Liberty High, Coppell High and Highland Park High School's rankings. All three are blessed with affluent and educated parents.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:29 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,926,513 times
Been down this road many times before, but...

HP, for one, requires EVERY student in an AP class to take the associated test. In contrast, Plano ISD does not. That will skew the results, as Plano kids who are unlikely to pass the exam won't bother to take it.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:22 PM

3 posts, read 3,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post

HP, for one, requires EVERY student in an AP class to take the associated test. In contrast, Plano ISD does not. That will skew the results, as Plano kids who are unlikely to pass the exam won't bother to take it.
Which districts require all students to take AP exams, which pay for it and which leave it up to their students. What are the pros and cons of each practice?

Old 03-11-2016, 07:46 PM

256 posts, read 448,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post

And not only that, but some districts do not allow students to take an AP class unless they make certain grades in a prerequisite class. The more open the enrollment and/or the more mandatory the test, the lower the passing rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas