Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 10:33 AM

64 posts, read 91,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Uptown is changing and attracting a rougher crowd lately. A lot of the demographic you mentioned has been quietly moving over to the Henderson Ave and Lower Greenville section.
That makes sense. A lot of it seemed extremely blue collar.

Quote:
Uh...OK. This is NOT a 9-5 city, dude.
You might be right. Maybe everything was abandoned during the day due to the rain.

Quote:
You do realize that a significant percentage of women in their 20s in Dallas aren't actually from here, right?
That doesn't matter. People follow behavioral cues and conform to culture very quickly. The same women would develop different behaviors if they lived in Seattle, for example.

Quote:
2. Do you genuinely believe that BMW and Lexus are the preferred brands of the lower-middle class? Or, perhaps more accurately in line with your statement, do you really believe that BMW and Lexus vehicles are primarily purchased by members of the lower-middle class?
Those are brands that white trash people buy when they get money. Other cars in this class include Pontiac, Dodge, Ford, and Chevrolet. (Trucks are an exception, I'm not sure why.) The upper-middle class tends to buy Toyotas, Nissans, Hondas on the low end, and Mercedes, Audi, and Maseratis on the high end. It's not really a matter of money, it's a matter of intelligence and tastes. I think maybe poor people buy these brands out of a misplaced sense of patriotism.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:40 AM

450 posts, read 555,496 times
Wow... Just wow... You should stop. Your statements make you look completely incompetent.

@BigDGeek He didn't respond to the most laughable comment he made. I have a feeling people were "turning their heads" for other reasons... He makes it fairly apparent.

I wasn't going to reply but I am embarrassed for this guy.

Last edited by gocubs418; 03-14-2016 at 10:54 AM..

Old 03-14-2016, 11:09 AM

164 posts, read 252,536 times
So I guess that M5 or M6 I'm planning to buy later in my career when I have the discretionary income will identify me as white trash and stupid to everyone who has "intelligence and taste". Something I'm going to guess the lucky lady you had an encounter with in your 72 hours here must have also lacked.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:13 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,491,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicOne View Post

You might be right. Maybe everything was abandoned during the day due to the rain.

That doesn't matter. People follow behavioral cues and conform to culture very quickly. The same women would develop different behaviors if they lived in Seattle, for example.

Those are brands that white trash people buy when they get money. Other cars in this class include Pontiac, Dodge, Ford, and Chevrolet. (Trucks are an exception, I'm not sure why.) The upper-middle class tends to buy Toyotas, Nissans, Hondas on the low end, and Mercedes, Audi, and Maseratis on the high end. It's not really a matter of money, it's a matter of intelligence and tastes. I think maybe poor people buy these brands out of a misplaced sense of patriotism.

Please go back to your momma's basement.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:36 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:

Please don't move here.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:06 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,173,164 times
Quote:
So if I drive a Lexus (thanks for lumping me into the white-trash crowd, by the way) and my husband drives an Audi, what does that say about us exactly? Clearly he married down. FYI, my car cost more than his and has better features.

Also, I'm curious to know if you realize you just insulted about half of the population of Plano, Frisco, Flower Mound, Allen, McKinney, and probably a dozen or so other cities considering I see hundreds of BMWs or Lexus cars each day. I'd hardly consider any of those cities listed to be white trash or lower class. Did you even visit any of those cities?

Old 03-14-2016, 12:12 PM

64 posts, read 91,955 times
It might mean he has good tastes and knows more about cars!

Quote:
Also, I'm curious to know if you realize you just insulted about half of the population of Plano, Frisco, Flower Mound, Allen, McKinney, and probably a dozen or so other cities considering I see hundreds of BMWs or Lexus cars each day.
Like I said, the Texas idea of "rich" is just lower-middle class California. Dallas is more like Orange, California than it is like Newport Beach.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:14 PM

5,263 posts, read 6,399,224 times
There's a BMW dealership in Newport Beach. It's good to know they allow the poors into their awesome community! Also a fancy sports car dealership that shares a parking lot with a McDonalds or a Taco Bell, I can't remember which. It's one of the fanciest places in the world I'm sure.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:17 PM

190 posts, read 288,149 times
Funny how stuck up OP is coming off in a thread where he's talking about stuck ups.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:30 PM

164 posts, read 252,536 times
Quote:
It might mean he has good tastes and knows more about cars!

Like I said, the Texas idea of "rich" is just lower-middle class California. Dallas is more like Orange, California than it is like Newport Beach.
I know that we should all stop responding at this point, but that's a silly comparison. Orange has a population of less than 150K. You basically went through about 5 miles of Dallas within 72 hours during bad weather and have made sweeping generalizations about an area about the size of Connecticut. You didn't go anywhere that would be considered wealthy by Dallas standards, and you know nothing about cars if you approve of Toyota but think Lexus is for "White trash".

Since you apparently need an Orange County equivalent for everything, I'll help you out. Dallas can be your combination of Anaheim, Santa Ana, Fullerton, and Yorba Linda with maybe some of LA, Santa Monica, Brentwood, and Pacific Palisades thrown in (to help you out, those are up the 405 if you keep going past Westminster and Long Beach). Highland Park is like Newport Beach. Plano is like Irvine. Southlake is like Laguna Niguel/Beach. Since I'm a native Californian myself, please let me know if you need any more comparisons as I've been in Dallas for more than 3 days.

BTW, I stand by my comment about your local "lady friend" a few posts back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas