Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 10:20 PM

70 posts, read 332,499 times

Advertisements

I see many builders starting building houses to the north of 380? prices are normally 50-150k cheaper than south 380 houses. Any idea about houses of N 380? how about commute and shopping?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 10:23 PM

889 posts, read 1,048,466 times
North of 380 Where exactly? McKinney? Denton?

Old 03-15-2016, 10:29 PM

70 posts, read 332,499 times
Mckinney, Frisco and Prosper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
North of 380 Where exactly? McKinney? Denton?

Old 03-15-2016, 10:39 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,457,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bypassus View Post
I see many builders starting building houses to the north of 380? prices are normally 50-150k cheaper than south 380 houses. Any idea about houses of N 380? how about commute and shopping?...
Commute and shopping just depends on where you work, shop, and play. I imagine many folks who buy there work in Frisco, McKinney, Denton, even Plano. Personally I wouldn't want to commute to Dallas proper from that far out, but plenty do.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:53 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,565,752 times
There are some really nice communities going up in Prosper and Celina (Light Farm, Windsong, Artesia).
Frisco cuts off at 380.
I don't really know much about what's going on in McKinney, but I do know that some of their newer developments feed into Prosper ISD, as does Light Farm.
There's a new community called Star Trail in Prosper, just south of Prosper Trail, that's just breaking ground. It's a Jerry Jones project.
Savannah has some nice homes, but the lots are pretty small, as compared to Prosper and Celina.
Providence is further west, and similar to Savannah (same developer).
Little Elm figures in there somewhere, but I don't know much about it.

As far as shopping, there's tons of development in the works along 380. There are three new Walmarts in the works (yes, THREE), new Krogers planned, and tons of restaurants, theaters, etc. running from 423 into McKinney.
For now, there's Frisco for shopping.

It's a haul to get to Dallas, but some people do it.
Dallas North Tollway will eventually continue over 380 and into Celina.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:36 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,563,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Commute and shopping just depends on where you work, shop, and play. I imagine many folks who buy there work in Frisco, McKinney, Denton, even Plano. Personally I wouldn't want to commute to Dallas proper from that far out, but plenty do.
This is correct. We live in Melissa. My office is in Mckinney. My wife in Plano. 75 is finished up to Melissa and through McKinney. It made an unbelievable difference. Traffic flows at posted speeds.

It takes just a few minutes to get to 75/380 or downtown McKinney via highway 5. We shop at the Stacy Rd Whole Foods for a large percentage of food as a personal preference.

We were able to get a house we liked(existing) for less allowing us to put more money into savings and paying off student loans, but our work locations didn't put us in a long commute bind either.

We have started talking about just moving to one of the larger homes(ours is on the smaller side) in the neighborhood as our family grows.

We like it. Others wouldn't.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:59 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,044,409 times
We've been in Prosper for a year, we're in Gentle Creek estates. When we moved in, the other side of the golf course was empty, just vacant lots. Now, I can literally see 8 houses going up simultaneously from our back window.

Prosper's first grocery store opens in 10 days. Just tons of development going on, both residential and retail. However, don't be fooled that you'll be getting a less expensive home just because it's north of 380. Most of the homes here are going for $600k and up around me, and even the newer developments with smaller lots, you're looking at $450k to start in most cases.

I would have preferred to stay in McKinney, our location was fantastic for our old home, but since neither I nor my wife commute, it didn't matter that much to move north of 380.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:53 AM

Some secondary thoughts about the McKinney side of 380.

Mercedes McKinney appears to be over 50% built and it sits just north of 380, and I'm aware of two hotels that are about to start along 75. The 75 construction was a Major rebuild, and it appears to have had effect on ancillary development.

There is a new subdivision about to start on highway 5 just south of 121, but I haven't seen any builders or pricing yet.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:24 AM

32 posts, read 33,569 times
It may work if you don't have a commute. If job situation changes and you or spouse have to commute then it can be a nightmare. If you don't like schools then it would take you hours to reach good private schools. It's cheaper to buy there compared to desireable areas because people pay more for better locations which keeps prices high.

It's all good now but can't say how market would change once there are no new builds or economy takes a downturn. Frisco and McKinney had a lot of foreclosures in last cycle.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:05 AM

Also remember McKinney and Frisco are years more developed and established since the housing bubble cracked.

The recession was 07-09, so the beginning was almost a decade ago. That's a long time for fast growing places such as above.

But yeah, Plano and Coppell are great too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas