Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 06:28 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,083,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
As a past private school dad I'd say your friend should take a couple of deep cleansing breaths and think this through, any admission into one of the better privates is high praise towards her kiddo.

1. A bird in hand is sometimes worth more than two in the bush. Her little girl has a slot now. There's a chance if they pass now the opportunity will be gone forever.

2. Clearly this little girl is smart. However, as TC80 noted although they are real life fallible human beings the people who run these schools are serious professionals, they must decide which smart kids are admitted into at all, which ones are sent away and then where the accepted kids should be placed.

3. Your friend should stow any thinking of an in-year "promotion." The chances are beyond slim.

4. I'm not a big fan of kids graduating high school at 19. But it's not a big deal.

5. IMO there are three logic tracks regarding asking the school why they placed this kiddo in Primer. And keep in mind the chances of reassignment are very slim.

A. Maybe not asking is the proper course. Either take the slot or don't. That wouldn't work for me.

B. Decline and then ask and I bet you the school will elaborate.

C. Ask why before making a decision. However, the mom needs to mind her tone and phraseology carefully, same if a dad was asking. Maybe something along the lines of, "We had hoped Y would be assigned a slot in 1st. Could you tell us a little more about why she was placed in primer and should I/we work with her on anything in particular at home?" Listen carefully and take it from there. I'd likely take this course.
Thank you EDS, great points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 06:37 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,083,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC Mom View Post
I agree with EDS, with one modification...when asking, .please don't say "we hoped she would be assigned to first grade". That phrasing makes it sound like it about you (the parent). Instead make sure your comments are focused on your daughter, and deferential to the school

"We are delighted (darling daughter) was admitted to (wonderful school). Based on her age we thought she would be assigned to first grade, and were a little surprised when she was offered a primer spot. Would you please tell me a little bit about the thought process behind her placement. How can we best help her succeed at (wonderfuk school)? We realize that if she starts in primer now, she will be 19 when she graduates. Will there be other students her age in the primer class?"
Oh yes, tact will be so necessary. We are starbucks reading your responses, thank you for your insight.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:29 AM

6 posts, read 8,805 times
Here's another perspective. If your friend's daughter is turning 6 in April of the academic year she will be in Primer, she is young for her class (the way it runs these days). My son is in first grade and he has classmates who are turning 8 this month.

What school is she at currently? What school did she get into for Primer?

Old 04-20-2016, 07:59 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,190,541 times
I wonder how much of the "success" (NMSF numbers SAT, college admits, whatever) of the local private schools could be attributed to red-shirting of this sort ?

Old 04-20-2016, 08:03 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
I wonder how much of the "success" (NMSF numbers SAT, college admits, whatever) of the local private schools could be attributed to red-shirting of this sort ?
People are redshirting in any school.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWmomdad View Post
Called admission office , all offers have been accepted both at Greenhill & Hockaday.
Interesting.

Someone told us they were declining their Greenhill spot, but we suspected they were FOS.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:38 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
People are redshirting in any school.
And not just locally- there was a huge article in the Times on red shirting back when I lived in NYC in the early 2000's.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
And not just locally- there was a huge article in the Times on red shirting back when I lived in NYC in the early 2000's.
It's been a nationwide phenomenon for a while.

Even mentioned in the book Outliers.

Funny.

At Plano, our youngest classmate was valedictorian, the second youngest was 2nd in the class, and I (3rd youngest) was a National Merit Finalist/Scholar.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:47 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,190,541 times
No redshirting in public schools, though, correct? (I did read Outliers, yes) My question would be is it really good for kids not to challenge them ?

From what I can see the redshirting starts even on entry to some preschools... at age 3 they decide that the kid won't be "mature enough" to start first grade 3 years from now... How mature does one have to be to enter first grade?

Old 04-20-2016, 08:48 AM

No.

People redshirt in public schools, too.

Some for the athletics and some for the academics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: