Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 08:19 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSellout View Post
I'm thinking of maybe getting my real estate license. However, I'm concerned about not necessarily getting certain clients due to my race. Does anyone have any information on what the market is like for black women? I know that Dallas is very segregated and I don't want to invest money and time into something that might not be the best option for me here.

Please be honest.
I can't speak for the market but I would not hesitate to use a realtor of either gender or any race as long as that realtor is honest, reputable, and dependable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 08:34 AM

565 posts, read 722,391 times
We sold my rental house in Dallas just a couple of months back. We actually looked up the realtors who'd recently sold nearby and picked a random woman's name who'd sold the most recent place like ours (we wanted someone familiar with the neighborhood and people interested in the neighborhood). Anyway, she happened to be black. We hired her, she did a fabulous job and got our place sold in less than a week with a bidding war situation--I'd be happy to PM you her contact info and you can email her and ask her about her experiences. For the record, my husband and I are different ethnicities from each other and neither of us are black--ethnicity was not a factor for us in hiring, but I'm sure it would be for some people- I don't think you are crazy to question this--Dallas is not a racism free utopia. Having a non-white, non american-born husband opened my eyes to a lot of stuff that I wouldn't have noticed as a born-and-raised-white-american. I totally understand your desire to want to find out more.

Let me know if you want her details. She was really amazing--super professional, prompt, could keep up with my husband's very-micromanaging-type-personality.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:52 PM

764 posts, read 1,656,770 times
I think your question is completely reasonable. Anyone whose been buying or looking at houses within the last 5+ years has surely noticed that Asian Indians prefer to have Indian realtors familiar with their buying preferences. I dare say most ethnic clients are served by their ethnic realtors. Korean - Chinese - Indian. Even British and European clients often have European realtors.

I'm not a realtor. I bought a house in Dallas in 2011. I sold my house in 2015. I "always look" to see who left business cards when I'm buying or selling. It's not just Dallas. The same happened in GA, MD and WA.

That being said, your an American Realtor who, as long as you "know" your client and can work hard to meet their needs, shouldn't have any problem. Will a Indian couple hire you? I'm not sure. Will a Hispanic couple hire you? Probably. The Chinese couple? Maybe not. Fortunately, there's an influx of Clients from California and the NE that you should have no problem assisting with their home buying needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: