Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2016, 06:35 PM

3 posts, read 13,437 times

Advertisements

I currently live in a 2 bedroom and plan to live here until my lease is up. When the lease is up, I want to move into a 4 bedroom within the same complex. They are asking for a transfer fee of 250 dollars though. I was wondering if this transfer fee still applies even though I am not breaking my lease. Basically, I will be signing an entirely new lease for a different room. Any help is appreciated thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 07:34 PM

100 posts, read 187,376 times
Will the transfer fee wave the need for a deposit and any other moving in fees you'd have by renting it as a new customer?

Old 03-23-2016, 07:39 PM

I went today to ask questions and they said I should talk to management, so I'm not sure on that. At this point though no, I don't think so. I think I would still have to pay a deposit, and this transfer fee is non-refundable apparently.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:33 AM

8,145 posts, read 8,345,769 times
That's totally ridiculous. That means they will treat you worse than a brand new tenant?

Old 03-24-2016, 06:51 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Well, as a matter of principle it seems that apartment complexes tend to treat long term tenants worse than new ones, I don't understand why. When you move out they have to do a big cleanup, repaint, etc., when you stay in one place they don't have to do anything. (I know, your case is a little different because they will have to repaint, clean, etc., your former apartment, but they have to do that anytime a tenant leaves, and they don't charge you $250 to leave the complex and move out altogether.)

Unless you are truly stuck for a place to live (like you live in a weird place where these are the only apartments for miles), it sounds like it may be time to play hardball. Tell them something like "well, if you can't waive this fee, I won't be moving from one apartment to another within your complex, I'll be moving out altogether. It will cost you way more than $250 to re-rent the apartment to someone else. Do you think you would like to reconsider?" Of course you have to be prepared actually to move out, if you use this strategy.

I've never been overly impressed with the business acumen of apartment complex managers.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:05 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
It will cost you way more than $250 to re-rent the apartment to someone else. Do you think you would like to reconsider

In today's market, they will likely make that up in the first month with increased rent for the same apartment.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:23 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Yeah, yeah, "today's market - schmoday's market" - always someone's excuse for overcharging on anything associated with housing.

Call their bluff and see if they blink. (But only if you're prepared to move.)

Old 03-29-2016, 05:13 PM

Okay figured it out! I went there and argued about it basically and they ended up waiving it. So I mean, it's ridiculous that they tried to charge it in my opinion but they waived it so it worked out. It was definitely just a way to get more money out of me because when I asked what this fee would be going towards I was told cleaning and administrative fees. As a person who has seen their cleaning, it is not worth $250. Oh well, it ended fine. thanks for all the help! I really needed to hear more opinions about it to make sure it wasn't just me making a deal out of nothing!

Old 03-29-2016, 08:41 PM

24 posts, read 28,573 times
I'm in the same situation. I think the transfer fee is to keep people from apartment hopping frequently. You're really lucky, there's no way they would waive the transfer fee here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: