Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 11:48 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times

Advertisements

In most professional fields there is not a shortage of workers (in DFW, or anywhere in the USA). That is a myth perpetuated to drive wages down by increasing supply, either by H-1b visas and equivalent, migration within the US, or increased supply of new graduates.

As an example, even though we have been harangued for 30 years about the supposed shortage of engineers, for which we need to educate more and more plus grant lots of visas for foreign engineers, real wages in most engineering fields have been stagnant for decades. Ergo, there is no broadbased engineering shortage (of course, there are certain specialized fields where shortages temporarily exist, but supply is quickly provided by the means described above to compensate).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 11:55 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLizzie85 View Post
I doubt it. I know a lot of Dallas transplants (I'm one myself) and every single one of us has moved here because we have a job offer. Dallas is different from cities like New York and LA because few people move here to "make it" or because they just want to be part of the Dallas culture. We don't have ideal weather and access to the ocean like LA, or a world-renowned theater district or the general "coolness" factor of New York. I can't imagine that a huge number of people would just choose to move to Dallas unless it was for work, especially since it's getting less affordable by the second.
Disagree somewhat.

Lately, it seems there are a LOT of threads from people who want to move here who do NOT have a job lined up. They're lured by the promise of a lower cost of living and good employment prospects. These people are posting from just about every state, and are interested in coming here whether that have job prospects or not.

A few years ago, that wasn't the case. People were posting in the Dallas forum looking to move because of a job. Now, I'd say it's just as likely or even more so that the person is simply looking for greener pastures.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:49 PM

30 posts, read 26,273 times
Default Too many businesses here & they cannot run themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Statistically speaking it is not, at least not yet. Texas has a below average unemployment rate for the US, and the DFW unemployment rate is even lower than the Texas average.

Yes, I can believe this...
I moved from CA with no job line up; I'm here to go to school.
I had barely gotten settled and started mingling with my neighbors, getting to know folks; grocery stores, local events, just out and about, etc. And people are offering me jobs and interviews at their businesses/workplaces, and or offering to take me places and introduce me to managers who could use me- without me even wanting or asking for a job.
I have to remind them I'm going to school and can only temp between semesters, and they still insist I try work part time and press their cards into my hands to call them 'when I'm ready.'
I have never experienced this in LA. and it's happens repeatedly when I'm out in Dallas.

I worked in sales and marketing for 3yrs.
I don't see any job shortages. There are too many businesses here and they seem thirsty for competent workers.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:42 PM

630 posts, read 657,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
In most professional fields there is not a shortage of workers (in DFW, or anywhere in the USA). That is a myth perpetuated to drive wages down by increasing supply, either by H-1b visas and equivalent, migration within the US, or increased supply of new graduates.

As an example, even though we have been harangued for 30 years about the supposed shortage of engineers, for which we need to educate more and more plus grant lots of visas for foreign engineers, real wages in most engineering fields have been stagnant for decades. Ergo, there is no broadbased engineering shortage (of course, there are certain specialized fields where shortages temporarily exist, but supply is quickly provided by the means described above to compensate).
it is not a myth. It depends on which area of engineering.
the problem is that many of these industries have boom and busts cycles and the supply of workers is not elastic. During the bust cycle lots of older senior engineers are forced to retire and many others leave the workforce. when the times get good again there are not enough experienced people available to take over projects and universities don't graduate people quickly enough to catch up with demand. That's when H1B engineers can be brought, however they cannot be paid less than the market salary, so your wage depression theory is incorrect.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:48 PM

817 posts, read 922,193 times
The trick with H1-B wages is to invent positions which have something slightly different in the job description, which justifies a lower pay scale. Another is for a consulting company to hire "consultants" which they pay lower than the positions would need to pay full time employees.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:21 PM

100 posts, read 187,376 times
I'll add to this, my wife and I choose to move here 2 years ago, we had great jobs in Illinois but hated the state with a burning passion. We flew around the US and explored areas. We decided on Dallas (well first San Diego, but that was too expensive for housing ad QoL so we went with our #2, Dallas). We applied to places from Illinois and both had new jobs lined up with 1 month of starting the process (part of that is both being uniquely skilled and having great portfolios, but the major part is just how hot the Dallas market is).

People do move here because they like Dallas, we did, and we stand by it. Even bought a house here . I do feel we were smart about moving though, we lined up our jobs first, moved into a centralized apartment (Valley Ranch) to explore the whole metroplex for year, then jumped into the housing market (which is indeed insane, in the end we spend $290 in northwest Frisco for a 3000 sqft home that we love, but we've already literally had realitors asking us if we'd list and showing us how we could ask $330 and likely get it... We aren't selling, but are amazed at this market)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas