Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 01:58 PM

18 posts, read 19,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
This is all solid advice. Frisco to Arlington is easily a $10+/day toll road commute that is going to consume about 3 of your non-work, non-sleep hours each day. Why live in Frisco if you can't enjoy it? Why spend 15 hours a week driving instead of with your family? There are so many other great suburbs with strong public schools, great amenities, and family friendly vibes that are much closer to Arlington.

OP is in exactly the situation we warn relos about. DFW's land mass covers about 60% of the state of Connecticut's land. You don't realize how big DFW is until you drive clear across it during rush hour. Don't ever fall in love with one specific neighborhood or suburb until you have your job offer in hand. It just creates disappointment during what should be an exciting time,
This is so true!! I had my heart set on that area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 02:02 PM

241 posts, read 379,455 times
I live in Frisco and drive Downtown to work, and even I wouldn't make that drive. As a matter of fact, I've seen jobs I may be qualified for at GM Financial that I decided not to apply for once I saw the distance and route. Also consider traffic is getting worse as the years go by...

Old 03-25-2016, 02:16 PM

8,102 posts, read 8,254,577 times
There are excellent elementary schools in zip code 76016 (Arlington). Your family would be so much happier if you didn't put yourself thru that drive.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:14 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,154,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnRaq View Post
I wasn't quite sure how bad the commute would be. Thanks for the advice! So where is somewhere just as nice as Frisco with good public schools? I'm looking to rent for the first year, I've been looking at town homes and houses to rent with a price range of $1500-1700 for 3bed/2bath. I dont know all of the suburbs of Dallas, Frisco and West Plano off of Preston was an area I really liked and didn't give me that city feel nor a country feel. So I'm opened to other places that offer some of the same amenities. Suggestions??
I am thinking that is a pretty low rental budget for most of the DFW area, including the northern burns you were previously interested in. Budget aside, here are some ideas, in no particular order:

1. Coppell - you can rent in Valley Ranch which has parts zoned to Coppell ISD
2. Arlington zoned to Arlington Martin HS & it's feeder schools
3. Grapevine - avoid rentals on Mustang Drive
4. Keller
5. Flower Mound

Old 03-26-2016, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I am thinking that is a pretty low rental budget for most of the DFW area, including the northern burns you were previously interested in. Budget aside, here are some ideas, in no particular order:

1. Coppell - you can rent in Valley Ranch which has parts zoned to Coppell ISD
2. Arlington zoned to Arlington Martin HS & it's feeder schools
3. Grapevine - avoid rentals on Mustang Drive
4. Keller
5. Flower Mound
Since I own properties in Grapevine, Irving, Arlingon I feel exceptionally well informed regarding this matter. Irving is still quite a long drive and I recommend you NOT consider Coppell or irving. Its do-able but I have travled many times north from S.Arlington during rush hours and tho against a lot of the traffic it is still a major headache and going west on 183 is very difficult at the end of the work day -- with construction starting now and continuing for the next couple of years.

Grapevine is fine, also Euless (Bear Creek area) zoned to Grapevine schools. Best of all is zip code 76016 (all zoned to Martin High School) and zip code 76017 north of Sublett and west of Cooper (again, Martin Feeder zone). Actually, I would try and stay in zip 76016 because I prefer their elementary schools and Young middle is good, too.

One other strong school choice is the City of Mansfield in a residential section zoned to Roberta Tipps Elemenatry school. A very highly recommended elementary school and also zoned to Mansfield High School - which is the highest performing high school among 3 high schools in Mansfield. There is an area called Willowstone which is near Tipps Elementary and the neighborhood has a community pool and pond so its a good area to get to know neighbors.

Last edited by WorldKlas; 03-26-2016 at 05:00 AM..

Old 03-27-2016, 06:38 PM

179 posts, read 556,089 times
We live in Central Plano. Husband used to work in Plano back when we bought the house, so it wasn't a problem. Now? He works south of DFW airport off off 360 and 183. He's easily in the car at least 1.5 hours a day and the tolls keep adding up. We've been in our house for three years and we like it here, but if he decides to stay at this job (been there almost a year now,) I'm going to push moving. The main issue is that we can't afford over $350k for a house, and most people in these forums are pretty wealthy and it's not a problem for them to spend over $250k for a house. I grew up in Grand Prairie, but really don't want to live there as it's not ideal for kids. I'm also looking at HEB. There are closer options and trust me, the commute sucks. If there's a wreck, the time can go up from 1.5 hours to closer to 3. I can't plan anything in the evenings because I can't rely on my husband to be home in time for anything. (I work remotely from home, so it doesn't matter where I live as long as I have wifi.)

Find something closer. Frisco and Plano are nice, but it's not worth it.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:39 PM

OK. Thanks! This helps a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Since I own properties in Grapevine, Irving, Arlingon I feel exceptionally well informed regarding this matter. Irving is still quite a long drive and I recommend you NOT consider Coppell or irving. Its do-able but I have travled many times north from S.Arlington during rush hours and tho against a lot of the traffic it is still a major headache and going west on 183 is very difficult at the end of the work day -- with construction starting now and continuing for the next couple of years.

Grapevine is fine, also Euless (Bear Creek area) zoned to Grapevine schools. Best of all is zip code 76016 (all zoned to Martin High School) and zip code 76017 north of Sublett and west of Cooper (again, Martin Feeder zone). Actually, I would try and stay in zip 76016 because I prefer their elementary schools and Young middle is good, too.

One other strong school choice is the City of Mansfield in a residential section zoned to Roberta Tipps Elemenatry school. A very highly recommended elementary school and also zoned to Mansfield High School - which is the highest performing high school among 3 high schools in Mansfield. There is an area called Willowstone which is near Tipps Elementary and the neighborhood has a community pool and pond so its a good area to get to know neighbors.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:40 PM

Thanks everyone for your input! I'll start my search in 76016 zip code and then other suburbs!

Old 04-06-2016, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnRaq View Post
Thanks everyone for your input! I'll start my search in 76016 zip code and then other suburbs!
Lots of private landlords with rent houses post on Zillow: Real Estate, Apartments, Mortgages & Home Values

Old 04-06-2016, 08:18 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,585,380 times
Does no one moving to DFW ever look at a map or Google map any commutes?
And the price point is borderline unrealistic for good schools and upscale areas...
Sticker shock must knock new people pretty badly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas