Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 04:45 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
We will agree to disagree on all points, including your last one.
Trump is your President just as much as Obama was mine. That's how this country works.

Furthermore, it is one thing to accuse men of being "sexist", especially from 20 years ago. That is far different from your original accusation that "plenty of men" will rape and assault women in the work force. (What you said was "Plenty of men will tell them they aren’t good enough and aren’t equals and try to rape/assault/take advantage of them."). No, PLENTY of men will not do that. Some women will do horrible and unethical things, and some men will do horrible and unethical things. But again, it is quite a leap from not promoting someone to rape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 06:27 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times
My take on previous posts.

1. All men aren’t guilty until proven innocent but humans still have a long way to go to have truly equal rights.

2. Unfortunately, Trump is EVERYONE’S president until impeached. Our messy political system made it possible so we need to deal with it.

3. No school is a perfect bubble, Hockaday girls can be as corrupt as any other school. However, it’s a fine school and single gender schools have some advantages. However, I still won’t endorse single gender education.

4. These are just my opinions, you go do what feels right to you. Parenting isn’t an absolute science, all you can do is to try your best.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:53 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,776,123 times
Quote:
Sheltered?! Hockaday girls??? What the??? I don’t know what age you are talking about but come high school, they are ANYTHING but sheltered. Maybe they’re putting on that face around adults but there is a large sector of Hockaday girls that run pretty wild. Smart as a whip, but wild. I’d be more worried about vodka than tap water.
Yea, I would have assumed alcohol and coke were bigger problems (and not just at Hockaday) than a preference for Fiji water.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:04 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
My take on previous posts.

1. All men aren’t guilty until proven innocent but humans still have a long way to go to have truly equal rights.

2. Unfortunately, Trump is EVERYONE’S president until impeached. Our messy political system made it possible so we need to deal with it.
1. Men and women in the US have equal rights. Please specify a "right" that men have that women do not.

2. Good luck with that.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:15 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times
1. On paper? Yes. Compared to most countries? Yes. Anywhere near where it should be? No, not by a long shot.

2. Thank you.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:57 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Trump is your President just as much as Obama was mine. That's how this country works.

Furthermore, it is one thing to accuse men of being "sexist", especially from 20 years ago. That is far different from your original accusation that "plenty of men" will rape and assault women in the work force. (What you said was "Plenty of men will tell them they aren’t good enough and aren’t equals and try to rape/assault/take advantage of them."). No, PLENTY of men will not do that. Some women will do horrible and unethical things, and some men will do horrible and unethical things. But again, it is quite a leap from not promoting someone to rape.
My grammatical / contextual error...I meant in tbe real world there ARE plenty of men who might tell them they aren’t good enough - COMMA, act or tell them they aren’t equals - COMMA, <OR> try to rape/ assault/ etc them.

Given that there are about 100,000,000 adult women in the US and at a minimum 25% of them have been victims of sexual assault, that IS a lotta millions of men out there doing bad things to women. I consider millions of men to be “PLENTY” but maybe you do not.����*♀️ My comments were certainly NOT all directed at workplace assault nor did intend them to be read that way. My bad on that part.

And my examples weren’t 20 years old. They are from within the last 3-5 years at a major HQ in the Collin County area, including the example of the boys club idiot getting a VP gig over 3 more qualified and talented women. And the female SVPs being smarter and more effective leaders than 75% of their male counterparts. And the fact that literally every single male who has been added to my team over the past 10 years I’ve had direct reports coming over at a higher salary than all but 1 is the females who have been added to my team. And I’m talking about 24-25 year olds with 2 or 3 years’ experience, not mid-career managers with variable backgrounds/ outside experience / graduate degrees/ workforce gaps, etc....Sexism and gender discremination are alive and well in the C-Suite in the USA. And on almost every BOD.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:06 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
1. Men and women in the US have equal rights. Please specify a "right" that men have that women do not.

2. Good luck with that.
Perhaps instead of “equal rights” UP means “equal experiences.”

Old 12-01-2018, 07:31 AM

96 posts, read 150,659 times
I don’t think there is a whole lot of difference academically, where students go to college, or how they do on the SAT between the 2 schools.

https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes...e-k12-schools/

NATIONAL private K-12 school rankings:

Hockaday #21
Greenhill #22

NATIONAL private high school rankings:

Hockaday #46
Greenhill #47

Pretty much the same. More so personal preference on what type environment you want your child in. If your child struggles or flourishes at one, likely they will do the same at the other.

We are very lucky to have elite private schools nearby that rival elite east/west coast private schools.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:12 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times
Quote:
I would argue that single sex education for girls is as important as ever in today’s society. Raise them up strong to go and compete in the real world. Plenty of men will tell them they aren’t good enough and aren’t equals and try to rape/assault/take advantage of them so spending 12-13 years in an environment where girls are valued, supported, and challenged sounds great to me!

The Hockadasies I know from the late 90’s are one helluva strong and accomplished bunch.
I oppose single sex education for both sexes. Both sexes need to be around each other. It is good for their psychological and social development.

Since the 1980s/1990s, the K-12 dual sex public education system has drastically favored females due the the pervasive cultural influences that are anti-male. Males are essential second class citizens in education and this is why males have been falling behind on a number of educational outcome metrics. The current education system is failing to train males.

If females are so drastically favored in dual sex education scenarios, the need for single sex education for females is superfluous.

Quote:
Given that there are about 100,000,000 adult women in the US and at a minimum 25% of them have been victims of sexual assault, that IS a lotta millions of men out there doing bad things to women. I consider millions of men to be “PLENTY” but maybe you do not.����*♀️ My comments were certainly NOT all directed at workplace assault nor did intend them to be read that way. My bad on that part.

And my examples weren’t 20 years old. They are from within the last 3-5 years at a major HQ in the Collin County area, including the example of the boys club idiot getting a VP gig over 3 more qualified and talented women. And the female SVPs being smarter and more effective leaders than 75% of their male counterparts. And the fact that literally every single male who has been added to my team over the past 10 years I’ve had direct reports coming over at a higher salary than all but 1 is the females who have been added to my team. And I’m talking about 24-25 year olds with 2 or 3 years’ experience, not mid-career managers with variable backgrounds/ outside experience / graduate degrees/ workforce gaps, etc....Sexism and gender discremination are alive and well in the C-Suite in the USA. And on almost every BOD.
25% of women are not victims of sexual assault. That is a gross over inflation of a statistic. It is possible that if the definition were expanded to minor sexual misconducts, the statistic could have greater validity. The word sexual assault covers such a broad range of incidents, and most of those incidents are minor. Forcible sexual penetration is such a small percentage of that. If 25% of women are victims of sexual assault, then close to 25% of men would have a sexual assault conviction to their names, excluding female perpetrated sexual assaults on other women. Is that reality? One line from the link article was "it is impossible to know whether participants’ varying accounts of unwanted “sexual touching” would hold up in campus tribunals, let alone in criminal court."

Women do plenty of bad things to men as well. Paternity fraud is one of the them, which it can be argued is actually worse than being penetrated forcibly and without consent. There are a lot of men raising children that are not biologically theirs and for many years, this fact can go unbeknownst to men.

The events at a major HQ in Collin County are just anecdotes. There's no proof that a boys club idiot getting a VP gig over 3 more qualified or talented women is just speculation or reality. Also, it is offensive to call someone an idiot. The statement of the female SVPs being smarter and more effective leaders than 75% of male counterparts is a subjective opinion. There are also anecdotes that exist about males suffering in working environments that have a pervasive feminist corporate culture. Unfortunate things happen in corporate environments, and both men and women are victims are unfortunate events. It is an unfair categorization when inferences are made that one biological sex is malevolent, and another sex is continually the victim.

Last edited by RJ312; 12-01-2018 at 09:16 AM..

Old 12-01-2018, 08:26 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,190,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I oppose single sex education for both sexes. Both sexes need to be around each other. It is good for their psychological and social development.

Since the 1980s/1990s, the K-12 dual public education system has drastically favored females due the the pervasive cultural influences that are anti-male. Males are essential second class citizens in education and this is why males have been falling behind on a number of educational outcome metrics. The current education system is failing to train males.

If females are so drastically favored in dual sex education scenarios, the need for single sex education for females is superfluous.

Could you elaborate on what you're referring to here ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas