Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 10:02 PM

66 posts, read 76,773 times

Advertisements

I'll go crazy with that kind of commute and living in a town with population of 800.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 10:28 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
I just happened to see this post....I'm not thinking fearthegoat was expecting 20 or 30 thousand folks to move up to Tioga....but there really are people who love a desirable spot like that.

Used to live in a small town that was a Houston exurb and was amazed there were folks who ABSOLUTELY did not want the urban OR suburban life and would endure long commutes to make it happen. There were parents who did not want suburban schools. There was a near-retirement oncologist who drove 80 miles one way to the Med Center.

I expect there are least a few of the same kind of folks in Dallas area.

(I worked IN said town...the commute would have driven me crazy!)
Objectively, the area is not desirable. That's what the low relative real estate prices indicate. The idea that lower prices indicate that something is MORE desirable is the kind of backward logic that people only apply to real estate in crappy locations. Very few people would claim a Kia is better than a Lexus. Some people might not think a Lexus is worth the price difference, but no one would ever claim that given no budget constraints, people prefer a Kia.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:53 AM

19,779 posts, read 18,073,660 times
With thousands and thousands and thousands of net new jobs moving into Richardson, Plano, Frisco and to a lesser degree Allen, McKinney and Denton many of will seek out living spaces well to the north. It's not so much what these place are like now it's which ones will adapt to become better positioned as choices for some of these new workers and families.

Schools are issue 1. This hybrid high school/early college strategy is a step in the right direction certainly but I have some reservations. Somehow the college portions need to be real college in terms of depth and rigor and students need to fully understand the limitations.

Infrastructure is issue 2. Traffic along 380 and other roads to the north is a disaster now and will only get worse without some serious planning and investment.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Objectively, the area is not desirable. That's what the low relative real estate prices indicate. The idea that lower prices indicate that something is MORE desirable is the kind of backward logic that people only apply to real estate in crappy locations. Very few people would claim a Kia is better than a Lexus. Some people might not think a Lexus is worth the price difference, but no one would ever claim that given no budget constraints, people prefer a Kia.
Hallelujah!

Old 04-16-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
With thousands and thousands and thousands of net new jobs moving into Richardson, Plano, Frisco and to a lesser degree Allen, McKinney and Denton many of will seek out living spaces well to the north. It's not so much what these place are like now it's which ones will adapt to become better positioned as choices for some of these new workers and families.

Schools are issue 1. This hybrid high school/early college strategy is a step in the right direction certainly but I have some reservations. Somehow the college portions need to be real college in terms of depth and rigor and students need to fully understand the limitations.

Infrastructure is issue 2. Traffic along 380 and other roads to the north is a disaster now and will only get worse without some serious planning and investment.
Most good students prefer AP/IB route as those are rigorous and preferred by good colleges. Another thing that makes HPISD or Plano ISD type districts is big pool of hard working and intelligent students.

Old 04-16-2016, 02:14 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times
Keep Tioga rural. Let's not tear up any more land for development.

Old 04-16-2016, 02:17 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
The issue with this thread (besides you having an opinion that few agree is) is that you are stating the obvious. No duh "you move to the middle of no where to save money, get more space, larger home for the money", this has been a fact forever. No need to state the obvious
Right?

Plus why not just move to Argyle then?

Old 04-16-2016, 04:29 PM

241 posts, read 381,814 times
I went up to Tioga a few times back around 2007, I think, to eat BBQ at Clark's Outpost (which, I heard, sadly, burned down a while back). I'd love to live in areas that are away from the city and suburbs, but my job won't allow it. I first noticed how much I loved being outside in areas like that when I went to look for some land up around Gunter back around 2007. Peaceful, quiet, and no sound of constant traffic.

OP, I understand where you're coming from. Believe me, there were people that thought living way up in Frisco was nuts back in the 1990's, probably. Now with all the stuff being built up here and the employment boom, they can't build houses fast enough or with prices high enough (lol). When I moved from Houston here back around 1998, I looked for a house and thought McKinney and Frisco around 121 were "way too far north". Six years later, I bought a house about 7 or 8 miles further north into Frisco.

Also agree with people hoping Tioga stays rural. I've talked to people in Aubrey that have lived there for years who shake their heads at the suburban boom going on not to far away and moving their direction.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:10 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
If a member of the relocations team in a major corporation considering relocating to Dallas is reading through these posts, you might want to move to Houston instead (of redirecting employees who may have a hard time affording a North Texas home to Tioga)! Lots of office space, even entire floors, are available for sublease. And housing prices in suburban Houston are stable/affordable, compared to the overheated/rising northern Dallas market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Used to live in a small town that was a Houston exurb and was amazed there were folks who ABSOLUTELY did not want the urban OR suburban life and would endure long commutes to make it happen. There were parents who did not want suburban schools.
A relative of mine is the same way. He moved to River Plantation in Conroe about 25 years ago for that reason. I asked him "Why not The Woodlands? It's a little closer to Houston and has the quiet you look for (reinforced by those tall trees). The suburbs are a nice balance between urban and rural life." Turns out he wasn't even remotely interested in the suburban life, which theoretically I pointed out to him "had the best of both worlds."

Turns out urban sprawl reared its ugly head about 10 years ago as the weekend lakefront home master-planned communities (Bentwater et al.) became transformed to scenic everyday-living, suburban subdivisions. Those new residents drive over the new overpass to his once-quiet, isolated neighborhood on the interstate everyday.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:40 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Here in my realm of Frisco (job), McKinney (home, kids' schools) and Prosper (church) I know plenty of people that have moved further out to escape the suburbanization of the area. One of my bosses lives in Pilot Point, another in Blue Ridge. Friends from church are in Weston, Gunter, Van Alstyne, Westminster (or rural areas with those addresses). Another friend moved to between Whitewright and Trenton... that is really out there.

While most people moving to the area will want a closer commute, there are many that want the land and space and will endure a commute to find it. Such a lifestyle was available in the McKinney/Frisco area when my in-laws first came to McKinney in the late 80s. The onward march of suburbia to the north has made that out of reach for most these days. Have to pick up and move further out to find that now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: