Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 06:20 PM

37 posts, read 58,114 times

Advertisements

Northern Collin, Denton County and and Southern Cooke and Grayson County could be similar to the Southern Suburbs such as Ellis, Kaufman or Johnson County as well the growth will be more steady in these areas and I don't see Prosper get that big but it's growing fastest there currently it could be just like Forney east of Dallas that has grown fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 06:44 PM

19,782 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifairy View Post
Most good students prefer AP/IB route as those are rigorous and preferred by good colleges. Another thing that makes HPISD or Plano ISD type districts is big pool of hard working and intelligent students.
Not always. Both my kids were outstanding high school students. Neither considered IB or AP for anything other than some AP classes for enhanced rigor. Pretending that AP advancement is as valuable as taking the real deal at university is bad logic across most classes.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:32 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Not always. Both my kids were outstanding high school students. Neither considered IB or AP for anything other than some AP classes for enhanced rigor. Pretending that AP advancement is as valuable as taking the real deal at university is bad logic across most classes.
I am still in college but has so far taken classes at three universities (and one community college). For me, the AP classes were much more difficult, and stricter, than anything I have taken in college. The only way I see AP classes as easier is that you are sort of forced to go, so you don't fall into that cycle of skipping one day and letting it accumulate.

Cannot speak for IB, but my friends who were in them really struggled through and they made them sound even harder than my classes at the time.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I am still in college but has so far taken classes at three universities (and one community college). For me, the AP classes were much more difficult, and stricter, than anything I have taken in college. The only way I see AP classes as easier is that you are sort of forced to go, so you don't fall into that cycle of skipping one day and letting it accumulate.

Cannot speak for IB, but my friends who were in them really struggled through and they made them sound even harder than my classes at the time.
Hang on. I'm not claiming IB or AP are easy paths. I'm saying that IB and AP are not the only paths that really bright kids may select.

In my son's particular case dual-credits and perfect AP scores on the 3 tests he took proved to be total wastes of time in terms of advanced placement. He took or re-took every single course that he could have skipped save a single history class that was way out of his degree track. To be presides I'm talking about STEM classes exclusively but in every instance save the history hours my son claims the university course was very significantly more difficult that either the dual-credit from Brookhaven or the AP class.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:01 PM

66 posts, read 76,782 times
Quote:
AP/IB rigor differs from school to school. In Plano ISD, International Honors/Pre-IB/Pre-AP courses are more difficult than most district's AP courses. Students with high aspirations rarely do community college courses, unless they have a schedule conflict. I don't know about the situation in your school, could be diffrent.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:31 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,334 times
Quote:
Hang on. I'm not claiming IB or AP are easy paths. I'm saying that IB and AP are not the only paths that really bright kids may select.

In my son's particular case dual-credits and perfect AP scores on the 3 tests he took proved to be total wastes of time in terms of advanced placement. He took or re-took every single course that he could have skipped save a single history class that was way out of his degree track. To be presides I'm talking about STEM classes exclusively but in every instance save the history hours my son claims the university course was very significantly more difficult that either the dual-credit from Brookhaven or the AP class.
Sorry for the wrong assumption. Anyway, yeah I can see what you mean. I took several classes again in college despite not having to because of my AP tests (stats, bio, chem, calc, us hist, & econ), mainly because I forgot so much stuff and felt weird getting credit when I took it so long ago. I still found the AP classes in HS to be more difficult, but that really differs between schools, teachers, and students. Then, there are some universities that do not take some tests no matter the score (or so I heard), in which cases, AP classes are serious wastes.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Sorry for the wrong assumption. Anyway, yeah I can see what you mean. I took several classes again in college despite not having to because of my AP tests (stats, bio, chem, calc, us hist, & econ), mainly because I forgot so much stuff and felt weird getting credit when I took it so long ago. I still found the AP classes in HS to be more difficult, but that really differs between schools, teachers, and students. Then, there are some universities that do not take some tests no matter the score (or so I heard), in which cases, AP classes are serious wastes.
That was my mistake I didn't explain myself well at all.

It's my understanding that several schools won't take AP credits and other that will take them with severe restrictions. Some won't take dual-credit or CC hours under any circumstances. Heck some schools won't take TAMS hours - that's pretty crazy in my book. A running joke at TAMS is TAMS credits usually aren't good enough to count towards an undergraduate biology degree at Harvard but they are sometimes good enough for admission into Harvard Medical School or Harvard School of Public Health, the irony is thick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: