Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 01:32 PM

18 posts, read 16,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayTexan View Post
It's good to get 'on-the-field' updates. But what would make for better reality TV would be updates from potential buyers in this market. It would probably be a true soap opera - lots of drama, tears (losing out on a multiple-offer situation), highs turning to lows (when appraisals come in), cajoling/pleading (letters to sellers) etc.

Let's see how long before the shoe gets onto the other foot
This is my life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 01:45 PM

497 posts, read 696,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
I don't know if this thread is suppose to be a showoff or something

Welcome to the past 2 years. Nothing new, multiple cash offers all above asking within 1 hour of listing is normal, move along
I asked the OP for an update. As someone who has been looking for some time and attending open houses, I wanted to know how bad (from a buyer's perspective, of course) things have gotten.

Congrats, OP!

Old 04-29-2016, 01:53 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,315,790 times
This kind of thing is why I don't recommend buying a house right now if you can avoid it. It won't last.

Imagine the phrase: "Buy high..." Now imagine the second half of that phrase...

Old 04-29-2016, 01:56 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,816,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09990 View Post
The update was requested via private message from a Dallas-area buyer seeking more true-to-life data.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirlatl View Post
I asked the OP for an update. As someone who has been looking for some time and attending open houses, I wanted to know how bad (from a buyer's perspective, of course) things have gotten.

Congrats, OP!
I was referring to this thread in general, not the response.

So is every single real estate agent on this forum (the hundreds) suppose to post a live update of each and every one of his or her listings (selling or buying) and how it goes? I mean if you want us to start spamming the forum

Old 04-29-2016, 03:25 PM

497 posts, read 696,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
I was referring to this thread in general, not the response.

So is every single real estate agent on this forum (the hundreds) suppose to post a live update of each and every one of his or her listings (selling or buying) and how it goes? I mean if you want us to start spamming the forum
The OP is the homeowner - not a real estate agent.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:37 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,816,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirlatl View Post
The OP is the homeowner - not a real estate agent.
That makes no difference. If I'm an agent, and do my job, I know hundreds of homeowners too and can make the type of post

Old 04-29-2016, 04:17 PM

37 posts, read 36,297 times
For me, being new to the area I appreciate these topics. It would be nice if the sellers posted what it took for them to accept an offer. It would help potential new home owners know what they should/ will need to get an offer accepted.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:33 PM

792 posts, read 1,221,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkx110 View Post
For me, being new to the area I appreciate these topics. It would be nice if the sellers posted what it took for them to accept an offer. It would help potential new home owners know what they should/ will need to get an offer accepted.
That would be interesting! When we moved to Dallas a few years ago, we left an area that had a super hot market, probsbly similar (or worse) than the DFW market is today. Some things commonly included in offers were:

1. Offer full price or more PLUS an "escalation" clause in which the buyer agrees to automatically increase their offer in set increments....say $1,000 or $2,000 up to a maximum(a trick was to use an unusual number to avoid escalation "ties"), if there were multiple offers. To invoke an escalation clause a seller would have to show the buyer the competing offer.
2. No inspection contingency
3. No appraisal contingency
4. No cost leaseback to seller for a set period of time
5. Willing to accept a seller HOC contingency. HOC stands for "home of choice" and when a buyer makes an offer on a house with an HOC contingency, they agree to delay closing and or possession until the seller is able to close on a house of the seller's choosing.

Some buyers also would write letters to the sellers describing their love for the house and why it is perfect for their family. I can't imagine that being very effective, but I guess when buyers are desperate they will try lots of things.

I have heard of #2,3, and 4 in Dallas, and obviously offering above asking price. I have not heard of #1 or #5. I am interested to know from agents what other similar tools buyers are using to be competitive?

Old 04-29-2016, 08:03 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Our son and DIL sold their house in Denton (not what many would consider a "hot" market) in March--
Put it on market on a Thursday and had 18 showings signed up within 24 hrs...
Had multiple offers and took one well over asking...and had a backup for little less but with 50K downpayment--almost half price of house so more likely to qualify for mortgage...
The appraisal came back just 2K over the contract price which was over list===
Son and DIL were happy because no problem w/mortgage being covered and buyers were happy because they got a little bit of a deal...
They==the buyers--were also willing to wait a flexible period for our son and DIL to find place to move===and were willing to allow them to live in house rent free after closing if they needed to before actually moving ---which was stipulation negotiated in contract

And son and DIL are renting apt in Dallas-don't want to buy while market is so hot and they might move in couple of years anyway...
So very strategic sale for them...
Just hope they bank the money and don't need to use it until they are ready to buy

Last edited by loves2read; 04-29-2016 at 08:27 PM..

Old 04-29-2016, 08:22 PM

55 posts, read 53,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC Mom View Post
That would be interesting! When we moved to Dallas a few years ago, we left an area that had a super hot market, probsbly similar (or worse) than the DFW market is today. Some things commonly included in offers were:

1. Offer full price or more PLUS an "escalation" clause in which the buyer agrees to automatically increase their offer in set increments....say $1,000 or $2,000 up to a maximum(a trick was to use an unusual number to avoid escalation "ties"), if there were multiple offers. To invoke an escalation clause a seller would have to show the buyer the competing offer.
2. No inspection contingency
3. No appraisal contingency
4. No cost leaseback to seller for a set period of time
5. Willing to accept a seller HOC contingency. HOC stands for "home of choice" and when a buyer makes an offer on a house with an HOC contingency, they agree to delay closing and or possession until the seller is able to close on a house of the seller's choosing.

Some buyers also would write letters to the sellers describing their love for the house and why it is perfect for their family. I can't imagine that being very effective, but I guess when buyers are desperate they will try lots of things.

I have heard of #2,3, and 4 in Dallas, and obviously offering above asking price. I have not heard of #1 or #5. I am interested to know from agents what other similar tools buyers are using to be competitive?
We just had an offer for a house under 250K in Flower Mound accepted, and I thought it would never happen after 3 straight rejections on offers that I thought were pretty competitive.

We offered 10K over asking, plus said we would pay all commissions (this was suggested to us, since we were financing and didn't want to run into the house not appraising). We had it inspected and appraised, but offered a no cost leaseback for a short period if needed, and did not ask them to pay for a home warranty.

We also did write a letter to go with our offer, and they wrote us a letter back, which was a very nice gesture, but I don't think it would have much effect unless the offers received are nearly identical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas