Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2016, 12:54 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,981,619 times

Advertisements

Folks,

Please share your experience with Suddenlink Internet.

I am with Uverse today (internet and TV), but not really happy. When moving next month I have 3 options, Time Warner , Suddenlink and Uverse.

So going with Internet only (based on bandwidth and pricing) it's down to suddenlink and uverse.

Which would you choose and why?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 01:12 PM

50 posts, read 61,150 times
Just an FYI, TW was recently bought by Charter Communications

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/m...-internet.html

Old 05-02-2016, 01:38 PM

103 posts, read 236,214 times
I cant say anything about Suddenlink but I will say my experience with Uverse was less than stellar. I had them for one year and they double billed me twice, then cut the service before schedule and then tried to make me pay for re-connection for internet and cable when it was their fault. I have heard others having bad service with Uverse. I had TWC before and back with them and I have internet only option with them. I bought my own router and paying $36 a month after taxes for 18 meg down and couldnt be happier.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:45 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,016,162 times
I have suddenlink, I've been pleased with the service. Over 1.5 years, we've only lost internet a handful of times, and usually just for a min or less. I'm on their 75Mbps plan, but I routinely see 82 down and 8-9 up. Thinking about switching to their 150Mbps plan.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:40 PM

134 posts, read 138,009 times
I have TW internet and it isn't bad. I've had very few outages (I live in Grapevine) I pay around $55 for 150 speed. I've never received the full 150 but I'm always over 100. For Fios, 75/75 is around $55 where I live. Fiber is better and loved it the 3 years I had it with Verizon. Sadly, Verizon was such a horrible company, I refuse to give them business. Now that it's Frontier, I've thought about switching but I've yet to hear anything but complaints about them from my friends that had Verizon.

I can't speak on the TV because I have Directv.

I was going to cut the cord and in doing so, figured Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBO Now would run me about $50 a month. When I called Directv to cancel (I have their second biggest package and paying $125 a month), they offered me credits for the next 12 months to lower my bill to $70, keep my same package and threw in HBO, Showtime and Cinemax free for 6 months so I decided to keep them for 12 months. I've been with them since 1998 so that might explain the huge discount.

However, if you do want to cut the cord, here is some of the things I researched:

1. First is OTA tv. Go to antennaweb.org and put in your address. They will tell you what type of antenna you need based on how far you are from the towers.

2. Get yourself a good media streaming device...even if you have a smart TV. Personally, I use the FireTV box (not FireTV stick). The FireTV/Roku box can be hardwired (connected with an ethernet cable) or WIFI. I prefer ethernet. The FireTV decodes 4K on Netflix, has a bit more internal memory and expands with a microSD card compared to the FireTV Stick.

I would avoid Chromecast simply because it requires an alternate source to stream. You have to have a computer, laptop or tablet streaming what you are watching that can be "cast" to the TV. The rest just need internet connection.

If you are looking to get one, I would suggest looking on jet.com. New customers get 15% off. (mods: I don't work or have any vested interest in jet or any other product I mentioned, I just love a good, honest deal)

With a streaming device, you can download individual TV apps and watch shows from there. For example, if you like The Walking Dead, simply download the AMC app for free and watch it from there. A lot of channels offer the same thing which might make Hulu expendable.

Another thing to look into is the ability to load a program called 'Kodi'. I won't get too much into that here but basically it's a Peer to Peer stream service that free. For sports, there is also something called 'sportsdevil' that can be loaded.

Those are two things you can look into. Had Directv not offered me such a good deal to say, I would have already converted. Now, it gives a chance a to wait for a sale and buy an amp for the antenna in my attic so my OTA channels are picture perfect.

Good luck. Until Congress allows ala cart pricing for TV, the internet is by far the cheaper choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: